Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Looking for intake and exhaust suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 5/20/07, 05:14 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for intake and exhaust suggestions

i'm looking for the best cold air intake for the money i can get for my 86' gt/w speed density, and a good header/ muffler combo. i'm looking for some thing that has a deep throaty sound as well as being pretty loud, i like the sound of my dad's 80' corvette witch has a deep metalic sound but thats not a big concern
Old 5/20/07, 08:03 PM
eci
Banned

CAI's on fox's are bull****. The factory intake on a fox is a CAI. Don't mess with it. For legal exhaust I'd do JBA shorties, Magnaflow 2.5" Hi-flow H-pipe, and flowmaster 2 chambers.
Old 5/20/07, 10:56 PM
GT Member

Yeah you can leave the stock Intake or go with a MARCH Ram Air kit it comes with a box so its shielded from heat where the air filter sits in (need a custom one such as K&N or something similar to fit) and the ram air duct goes thru the fender where the air is forced in from under your front bumper on the passanger side. I like it a lot especially at higher speeds!
Old 5/21/07, 06:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have the Mac straight shot, I didn't expect it to give me any power gains but I like the all polished stainless construction and the heat shield for the filter. It helps with the bling factor
Old 5/21/07, 07:38 AM
Service Manager

Received 432 Likes on 209 Posts
CAI's DO work on a fox simply because they place the air filter out into the inner fender...they also reduce turbulence in the intake tube be eliminating the corrugated tubing. While the factory air box does open to the inner fender area you do not get as much surface area exposure from the fresh air to the filter as you do with a cone filter mounted out under the fender.
Old 5/21/07, 02:10 PM
eci
Banned

Placing the filter into the fender introduces a bend before the MAF. Your car will run rich if you just bolt one on without tuning, causing a power loss.
Old 5/21/07, 02:25 PM
GT Member

like i said earlier i don't have mass air still got speed density and i don't plan on changing that any time soon, also if it helps i already have two flowmaster 50s, cut out the cats and a H-pipe don't know who it was made by sense the car already came with it on
Old 5/21/07, 03:11 PM
Service Manager

Originally Posted by eci
Placing the filter into the fender introduces a bend before the MAF. Your car will run rich if you just bolt one on without tuning, causing a power loss.
Not a problem in my experience and tuning a 5.0 in a Fox does not require a tuner or a chip. I've made plenty of power in N/A and supercharged foxes with a dead perfect A/F ratio.

A Mandrel bent elbow instead of a factory airbox that has the equivelent of a brick wall that the air hits prior to sending the air to the MAF is an improvement...period as far as airflow goes. The MAF sensor operates on a heated wire and how that cools based on how much air flows across it....considering the engine is pulling that air a bend or stock flat wall type filter makes little or no difference in how the MAF operates. An over oiled aftermarket filter can cause a problem because it gets oil onto the wire of the MAF which causes an improper reading.
Old 5/21/07, 03:34 PM
GT Member

well going by what ya'll are saying coud'nt i take some of the hoses that are used with draining rain gutters to make pretty much a poor mans ram air kit, my dad has already done this with his 2004 dodge ram 1500hemi so it should work
Old 5/21/07, 03:37 PM
eci
Banned

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums....php?p=1765855
Old 5/21/07, 03:38 PM
Service Manager

Originally Posted by lp9820
well going by what ya'll are saying coud'nt i take some of the hoses that are used with draining rain gutters to make pretty much a poor mans ram air kit, my dad has already done this with his 2004 dodge ram 1500hemi so it should work
The Current Demolet kits for late models are mostly parts from the Lowes or Home Depot plumbing isle so yes...you can make your own poor mans cold air kit.
Old 5/21/07, 03:41 PM
Service Manager

Thanks, now I know where you got the misinformation from . Did you notice that the car in question there is NOT a Fox Mustang?!? There have been issues with the later model cobras and other 4.6 cars when it comes to cold air intake kits...these DO NOT apply to the Fox 5.0 Mustangs. This forum is the Fox forum and is what we are discussing. Keep in mind that these cars are NOT all the same and tuning is different based on what generation you are working with.
Old 5/21/07, 09:15 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by svopaul
Thanks, now I know where you got the misinformation from . Did you notice that the car in question there is NOT a Fox Mustang?!? There have been issues with the later model cobras and other 4.6 cars when it comes to cold air intake kits...these DO NOT apply to the Fox 5.0 Mustangs. This forum is the Fox forum and is what we are discussing. Keep in mind that these cars are NOT all the same and tuning is different based on what generation you are working with.
I had the problem on my 92 with a BBK fenderwell CAI. Went back to stock and car performed better.
Old 5/22/07, 07:09 AM
Service Manager

Originally Posted by eci
I had the problem on my 92 with a BBK fenderwell CAI. Went back to stock and car performed better.
Must have been the BBK kit....I don't use those. I don't like the nameplate riveted to the tube and have seen air leaks in that area as well as one case where a piece of a rivet came out and ended up going through the engine.
Old 5/22/07, 01:19 PM
eci
Banned

Pff, it's just metal tubing. It is no different than the MAC or anything else. The real issue is they are crap, and do nothing other than screw up your MAF readings.
Old 5/22/07, 01:45 PM
Service Manager

Originally Posted by eci
Pff, it's just metal tubing. It is no different than the MAC or anything else. The real issue is they are crap, and do nothing other than screw up your MAF readings.
Well let's see, you had a problem with one on your car....I've installed and run probably over a hundred over the years....yeah, you got all the answers .

It couldn't possibly have been another issue on your car....yeah, they are all crap because you say so .

Either come up with some scientific proof and documentation otherwise w'ell just call it your opinion and take it for what it's worth.
Old 5/22/07, 05:53 PM
eci
Banned

Come up with scientific proof and documentation that they don't adversely affect the MAF.

Yeah they're all great because you say so.

Have you ever compared stock versus "cold" air intake on a dynojet? No power is made. None. Zilch. What you get is undesirable A/F.
Old 5/22/07, 07:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

If the car runs fine after the CAI is installed... isn't that proof enough that it didn't affect the MAF? I'm sure a dyno would reveal that a CAI does indeed free up a few ponies but given the amount of torque a 5.0 makes you just aren't gonna feel it like you do on a 4 cylinder car.
Old 5/22/07, 09:16 PM
Banned

On a lightly modified car the bend on front of the stock MAF means very little, on a 89-95. Sure, start forcing air in and yes you'll do some weird things with it. Still, if you are talking about the way the MAF samples the air then take into account that of a Cone air filter.

There are plenty of air intake companies that make these fenderwell cold air intakes, mainly because they dont pull air in from under the hood but rather from the inner fender which is a little better. This comes into play on all year Mustangs except for the 05 and newer as there's not a kit like this yet for them due to fenderwell restrictions. JLT, Demolet, BBK, and alot of others.

I've seen a/f ratio's change from simply clocking the MAF in a different position no matter what intake you use. Truly though any air flow improvement will make a change, and most any air intake will outflow the stock airbox.

To get this topic back on subject though, he's does say he has a 86 Gt, this car doesn't even have a MAF sensor......
Old 5/23/07, 07:30 AM
Service Manager

Originally Posted by eci
Come up with scientific proof and documentation that they don't adversely affect the MAF.

Yeah they're all great because you say so.

Have you ever compared stock versus "cold" air intake on a dynojet? No power is made. None. Zilch. What you get is undesirable A/F.
Do you do anything on this site other than contradict others with your "opinion" and argue pointless topics? You are here claiming all CAI's are junk yet you are in the '05 section recommending one....

Let's see...I don't need to prove anything because there are thousands of Foxes with CAI kits not having any problems at all....but you come in here as "professor intake" and because "you" say it's bad...everyone should listen?....Riiight.

I never said they are great because I say so but the simply rule of averages and the fact that I am in the business and installed hundreds of them without incident shows there is no problem....and before you get smart again, I rarely sell them....most customers bring in their own that they bought elsewhere.

...and yes, I have compared stock vs. CAI on a dynojet and on a 1989 LX with bolt ons(headers, underdrives & intake) it made 3HP with the change. Nobody should ever believe the advertised gains because there are too many variables and that is never known or given information when these companies print their ads.

Oh and it seems Doug... who tunes cars for a living thinks your misinformed as well....but I suppose you are going to say he is wrong too.

I suggest you leave your attitude at the door next time you come in....a discussion is one thing and fine but struting around acting like king rooster making claims with no evidence to back it up while maybe tolerated on other sites will not be here. Also a response of "No, you show proof" when asked for documentation is not a mature or proper response. The basic fact that a thousand companies make CAI kits and they still sell shows that there is really no problem as you claim otherwise the word of mouth would have killed sales long ago....for example: Hurst shifter sales aren't very good when the likes of Pro 5.0 and others made much better engineered shifters.