Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Looking to get back into a mustang

Search this Thread

Old 4/4/16, 10:58 PM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Looking to get back into a mustang

Hey all,
As the title suggests I'm looking to get back in a mustang by years end. Been eyeing 03-04 cobras and Mach 1's but I can't get a nice fox out of my head either. Can anyone give me tips on what to look for when buying one (used of course) and what kind of reliability issues there are? I'm very familiar with sn95 models but I'm asking specifically about fox bodies. Also any positive comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch!
Old 4/4/16, 11:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
It depends on what you want to use it for and do with it?
We need more info!
Old 4/5/16, 12:21 PM
FR500 Member

Basically a daily driving show car with plans of possibly doing a terminal motor/tranny swap sometime down the road. Of course with handling in mind I know subframe connectors and a more robust suspension set-up would be in order. I like simple cars which is why I usually prefer older generations. Plus I think it's just cool how the all the switch gears (lights, hazards,etc.) Are mounted and they just look more purposeful. Plus I've always been a fan of hatchbacks which is another reason I love the fox bodies. That, lightweight, tons of aftermarket support to fuel any desire of the car, it's just a winner.

I guess I didn't really complete my answer lol but I'm pretty handy with tools and am gaining electrical knowledge so if there are any common issues that can be fixed easily ID like to know those, and any complex issues would be nice to know about as well and how to tackle them.
Old 4/5/16, 09:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
My advice find one with the lowest miles, and as stock as you can get.
The more modded the harder it has been driven, the more bent and beat up the torque boxes will be and the whole chassis.
Stock is my advice then build it the way you want it!
Plus working on them is very easy, and rewarding!
Old 4/6/16, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What ElkGrove said plus you'll need at least $10K plus the price of the car itself. You said Daily Driver Show Car. A Restomod takes some bucks and chrome doing that is even more bucks. Trust me when I tell you buying parts for these things is like some kinda disease. You've been warned!
What to look for...a plan and a budget. Whether you go from the outside in or the ground up you'll be putting big manhours into cleaning, derusting, painting, etc. Inside storage is a must, Have a place to store/accumulate the new parts for a 5 lug/disc break mod till you accumulate. The wrong way is to tear down then wait for parts. Good luck and if necessary talk it over with your significant other casue you never get the cash out of it that you put into it.
Old 4/6/16, 05:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
Buy the Mach1.
Old 4/6/16, 09:18 PM
FR500 Member

Thanks for the advice and responses guys. I've recently been tipped that a 67 might be for sale in my area so I'm starting to write out plans for both cars so I'm a little more prepared for what's to come with either choice. My son is about to hit 2 years old and what I'd LOVE is for me to get the project car and start looking it over making a checklist of what I need to do in order of priority. I know a bunch of guys from the local car clubs that know even more people so I don't think I should have trouble finding help or parts. Once my list is done, start replacing things. Ultimately try to teach my son as I go along because I'm gonna take my time to make sure every detail is perfect. It's what I wish my dad would've done with me when I was a lil tyke.
I know there will be lots of blood, sweat, tears, and sleepless nights once I get started but I'm embracing the challenge. In a way it would be my testament to show both myself and my son what being a gear head is all about.
Old 4/18/16, 08:01 AM
FR500 Member

Well the sale fell through on the four-eye. Everything was goin fine and dandy when we took it for a drive but something felt off. I went under the hood with my flashlight and saw a spot where there was some oil leaking from the head. I'm sure a new gasket would've fixed the issue but didn't wanna take the risk