Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

First Car.

Search this Thread

Old 4/16/16, 04:10 PM
V6 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
First Car.

I have recently gotten an '87 LX hatchback..4 cylinder 5 speed transmission. I don't have a lot of money to play around with, but I want to make it look better and am looking for suggestions on what to do..
Old 4/17/16, 12:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Emma
I have recently gotten an '87 LX hatchback..4 cylinder 5 speed transmission. I don't have a lot of money to play around with, but I want to make it look better and am looking for suggestions on what to do..
Welcome. How does it look right now?
Old 4/17/16, 04:50 AM
V6 Member

For some reason an error keeps coming up when I try to upload photos :/
I will send pictures as soon as I can.
I have two-toned her. The bottom portion up to the bodystyle line that runs from the front fenders to the doors and then to the rear quarters to the taillights. The top portion is then red. They are NOT factory for its age. I used the 2014 Crystal champagne for the white and the sunset red for the red. She has a red interior but it's faded. The entire interior is original, but in one of the pictures I have, it shows a door mat (yes looks a little silly but it's because the original mar kept riding up underneath the clutch and interfering with my driving.
Old 4/17/16, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to see the 2tone paint I have a 90 lx hatch 5.0 5 speed what kind of shape is it in
Attached Thumbnails First Car.-img_20160330_175924.jpg  
Old 4/18/16, 04:21 AM
V6 Member

There is nothing mechanically wrong with the car at all. She runs amazing for her age. She only has 70,000 miles on her. The only real bad the is the interior (it's all just faded. Originally red but some is now starting to look pink and tan otherwise still in perfect and pristine condition). I bought her knowing this and am perfectly happy with having her as a project car.
When I brought her to school to get my teachers to look at it, we did decide that whoever had previously owned the car, had tried to repainted her and had done and awful job...it was peeling and where it had been peeling and bubbling, some minor surface rust was forming. Once the paint was off on the rear quarters, roof, A pillars (wins held posts),top of the fenders and hood, we took a step back and looked. She only had a few places of minor rust. They had me take a metal acid cleaner to the rust spots and around them to take it away as well as help prevent it from coming back. Then we primed the hell out of her. After primer was all sanded we then sanded it and then painted.
(And again, I am still coming up with an error on attaching photos to my messages. So I guess if someone who reads this is able to help----please by all means!!!)
Old 4/18/16, 09:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Awrighty then, now I know what you have.

So, if you wanna stick with the red interior, you get these color choices: Red, Black, White, Silver. I myself would custom make a Candy Apple Red basecoat, Mystichrome mid coat, and several coats of clear, so it *shimmers* in the sun, with gold, purple, blue and green highlights on the red. It'll be awesome.

The red interior, well, you fix it up with dye, vinyl, and for the seats, Katzkins or custom made covers.

I would accent the interior with white... or go all white seats with red carpet, red and white accented sides, that sort of thing.

Tint all 'round darkest legal.

And for the wheels, first, convert to 5 lugs:
https://lmr.com/products/Mustang-5-Lug-Conversion-Kits

Then get these:
http://tinyurl.com/josluob
(I don't know what's going on with the .html stuff, but the forums are breaking it. So TinyURL it is.)

Yeah. Red and white interior, red shimmering mystic exterior, 2010 look chrome wheels of win...

Do it. Car will be freaking *sweet*.

Last edited by houtex; 4/18/16 at 09:28 AM.