Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Looking for another Fox

Search this Thread

Old 7/23/13, 06:08 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for another Fox

Since I got rid of my 12 Boss, I've been tossing around the idea of getting another Foxbody. Something cheaper to own and build since having a Financed weekend toy in the garage just wasn't smart for me at the time lol. I'm leaning towards a 91-93 GT Hatch this time, preferably two tone and original. At least close to it, absolutely must have A/C. Auto/Stick doesn't matter to me.

What do you guys think 8k will get me? I've already looked at a few and I have to say I'm disappointed with the people who own Mustangs. Maybe it's just a few of the characters I've met, but there seems to be nothing but lies and diseptions on their part. Most recently driving 3 1/2 hours one way for a 93 GT that was advertised as a mint low mile survivor. Pictures seemed to hide all the flaws and were ever so conviently taken as to not show any issues. Dull paint, huge dig in the door down to bare metal, weird spidering in either the clear coat or crappy repaint on the hood(owner claimed paint was 99% perfect). I won't bother going into more details but lets just say after a 3 1/2 hour ride I literally looked at it for 2 minutes before leaving in disgust.

Were at the point where my dad and I have almost given up the search, at least in the 8k price range I'm at. Seems to me nobody has a clean, lower mileaged, original fox under 10k. Maybe I'm just a little too picky.

Bill
Old 7/23/13, 06:48 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
You should broaden your search. The fox bodies are getting pretty old now but replacement part are readily available. Pick up a straight body and restore it. The very few that are near perfect and original will cost you a lot. $8k will get you a good one but not a perfect one. Although $8k may build you one pretty close to perfect. Keep shopping.
Old 7/23/13, 07:21 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
You should broaden your search. The fox bodies are getting pretty old now but replacement part are readily available. Pick up a straight body and restore it. The very few that are near perfect and original will cost you a lot. $8k will get you a good one but not a perfect one. Although $8k may build you one pretty close to perfect. Keep shopping.
I realized Foxes have gone up in price, but 6500 bought me my first Stang. 29k miles all original and it was mint. 8k bought me the same thing but in an 88 coupe. I kick myself in the *** for selling them but a 12' Boss was so tempting at the time. I'm just real surprised the same condition vehicles are 10k plus cars. Especially when just two years ago people laughed at me for just trying to sell mine for what I paid.

It's understandable though that I'll have to broaden my search. I wouldn't turn down a clean LX hatch/notch in the right color. It's all about honesty as well, when I'm told its perfect and show up to something that's far from it, my first reaction is to walk away. If you lie, I'm gone, I don't care if its fixable issues or not. That's the situation I dealt with over the weekend on the 7hr round trip. I could have fixed the surface rust issues underneath, the worn out interior wasn't a big deal, the paint really bothered me but I would have jumped on it if the price was right. For 8k firm though!? If that's all there is to offer for that price then I better keep saving lol.
Old 8/2/13, 07:37 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I know exactly what you mean. It took us a number of years, countless looooooooooooong drives, 100s of miles before we found this nice one. There are a lot more details about the car in the link in my signature. Please let me know if you're interested.

Last edited by UOP Shadow; 8/2/13 at 07:43 PM.
Old 8/2/13, 08:14 PM

It just depends on luck I think and right place at the right time. On 12/26/12 I bought my 116,000 Deep Jewel Green LX 5.0 hatch for $5200. Stock except for long tube headers, off-road h-pipe, Flowmasters, and Monster Tach. Philly suburbs. It had a lot of little issues, for example power door locks not working, check engine light on, some cracked weatherstripping/armrests, etc. I've since fixed most of the problems and love this car. I just encountered another problem but that's not the cars fault. Anyway, deals are still out there if you are lucky.
Old 8/2/13, 08:46 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Good luck with your search. From what we encountered, $8K can get you a pretty well worn fox with close to 100K. Many of them are re-paints with a lot of mods.

All the really nice, stock (unmolested), low miles foxes we looked at were over $12K, listed as high as $16K.
Old 8/2/13, 09:15 PM

8K should let you build something nice. Here in AZ & SoCal 88-93 Fox bodies go for anywhere between $1500-$8000. There are a few that don't run for less than $1k.

Good luck
Old 8/3/13, 03:31 PM
GT Member

Unfortunately I've given up the search for a Fox, at least in my price range. Everything I've looked at is disappointing to say the least. I'm not really interested in "building" a nice one either. There's none cheap enough to be worth it anyway lol, at least close by me. What I noticed though, is since the Foxes only have a 100k odometer. Cars with over 100k miles are being advertised and priced as low mileage survivors. We've had to many Mustang to be tricked lol.

For now though, I've decided to sell my other toy instead. I should have enough money once it's gone to buy a Stang and fund some mods. Hopefully I'll be on the hunt again soon. Unfortunately for the guys selling low mileage Foxes have priced themselves to close to 93 Cobras and that's what I think I'll be getting instead.

Bill