Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Just got my 5.0...need some guidance,and advice

Search this Thread

Old 12/23/05, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey guys..i just registered..im new to the forums.

I just bought a 90 mustang GT for 2k from a co worker...and i came from racing a 12.9 second turbocharged integra...i got tired of FWD,and lack of displacement..so i wanted to try my hand at a 302...now i have a little bit of knowledge on the motors..but after buying the car..i have about 2000$ to spend on parts,from left over money...

i was wondering..what is the best way to start off??

i REALLY want to do a single turbo setup on it..but i get a lot of mixed opinions on that idea...

I wouldnt mind a Blower setup on it...as long as i build the motor..with forged internals...but i dont know what all i would need to prepare for.

if anyone can give me advice on the first few products i should buy (upper and lower intakes,cats,X pipes,etc)...please let me know what i should be looking at first..and my best options...thanks. :worship:

keep in mind,i want this to be a low 12, high 11 second car...but thats just a moderate goal...nothing too outrageous though.
Old 12/24/05, 12:44 AM
Bullitt Member

First place I would start with 2k is do a heads / cam / intake swap. That should put you right around 310 rwhp with the right parts. After that you could throw a bottle on it and hit your goal easily. I would guess with good tires, and knowing how to drive this would put you anywhere from mid 13's to high 12's without a problem.

There are plenty of people out there running turbos on 5.0s and they respond very well. Being a 90, the car came with forged pistons, that can add a little extra comfort. However, the magic number on a stock block seems to be around 500 rwhp. That is MORE than enough to get you down in the 11's though.

Also, look into doing suspension upgrades as well. Subframe connectors make a world of difference on a fox mustang as far as how the car handles and responds. If planning on doing a good bit of drag racing, or wanting to get your times down to your goal, also look into a good set of aftermarket upper and lower rear control arms.

Other good mods are underdrive pulleys, gears, aftermarket shifter (if 5 speed), shift kit and torque converter (if aod), cold air intake kit, and any chassis lightening you can do. While these mods will not net you alot of power or greatly improved times by themselves, they can each help a little bit to get you to your goal.

Last but not least, welcome to the mustang world, I am sure you will enjoy the car. Check out www.turbomustangs.com if you are wanting to turbo charge, those guys have alot of excellent info.
Old 12/24/05, 05:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

subframe connecters are the most important thing you can do to a fox, put them on first, the weld-in kind
Old 12/24/05, 10:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Not sure if you a speed demon or just the kind of guy who likes a nice car. Ive riden in a turboed 5.0 and it was god awful fast but I like our NA 5.0. I love the way it sounds and looks. If you still have your turboed inport I would just have the 5.0 for a nice crusing car. If you do that look into exhaust, cam, and heads.
Old 12/24/05, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by joker@December 24, 2005, 2:47 AM
First place I would start with 2k is do a heads / cam / intake swap. That should put you right around 310 rwhp with the right parts. After that you could throw a bottle on it and hit your goal easily. I would guess with good tires, and knowing how to drive this would put you anywhere from mid 13's to high 12's without a problem.

There are plenty of people out there running turbos on 5.0s and they respond very well. Being a 90, the car came with forged pistons, that can add a little extra comfort. However, the magic number on a stock block seems to be around 500 rwhp. That is MORE than enough to get you down in the 11's though.

Also, look into doing suspension upgrades as well. Subframe connectors make a world of difference on a fox mustang as far as how the car handles and responds. If planning on doing a good bit of drag racing, or wanting to get your times down to your goal, also look into a good set of aftermarket upper and lower rear control arms.

Other good mods are underdrive pulleys, gears, aftermarket shifter (if 5 speed), shift kit and torque converter (if aod), cold air intake kit, and any chassis lightening you can do. While these mods will not net you alot of power or greatly improved times by themselves, they can each help a little bit to get you to your goal.

Last but not least, welcome to the mustang world, I am sure you will enjoy the car. Check out www.turbomustangs.com if you are wanting to turbo charge, those guys have alot of excellent info.

that was extremely helpful..thanks a lot.

I was currently looking into the edelbrock upper and lower intakes...an upgraded MAF,and bigger throttle body....but i dont know how big or small i should go on the MAF,and TB.

I mean,i really dont want to buy something,and end up taking it off,because i changed the route i wanted to take..such as,going with a supercharger..and then switching to turbo..and having to change out my exhaust,headers,etc.

or like putting a cam in my motor,and it being too aggressive for Forced induction.

What kind of heads do you suggest i look into?? i saw one guy had Trickflow heads,and a lot of people seem to like those?
Old 12/24/05, 01:21 PM

Originally posted by Hotrod@December 24, 2005, 12:57 PM
Not sure if you a speed demon or just the kind of guy who likes a nice car. Ive riden in a turboed 5.0 and it was god awful fast but I like our NA 5.0. I love the way it sounds and looks. If you still have your turboed inport I would just have the 5.0 for a nice crusing car. If you do that look into exhaust, cam, and heads.

im some what of a speed demon..i love drag racing..and i want to have a very fast car..but nothing outrageous..or that cant be driven on the street..

a friend at work has a buddy that has a Turbo 5.0...and he said the same thing..its insanely fast...i think a supercharger would be a nice touch also..just not too sure about how much gas im going to go through.
Old 12/24/05, 01:48 PM
Cobra Member

There are a wide variety of cylinder heads available for the 5.0L engine, from mild to wild. TrickFlow certainly makes a good head and they also manufacture intakes, and camshafts to compliment their cylinder heads. If you go that route, I would purchase the entire package of products.

Holley also manufactures a SysteMax system that include heads, intake, camshaft on other support pieces. This system reportedly makes 350 hp at the flywheel. I've never run the system but the magazine articles I read on the products report outstanding results.

Of course Edelbrock makes great products both intakes and heads. Another manufacturer to consider is AFR. Their heads achieve both low end torque gains and high RPM HP.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, just do your research and purchase components designed to work together and you'll be very pleased with the results.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Mustangs!!!
Old 12/24/05, 01:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Wisslin5.0@December 24, 2005, 2:24 PM
im some what of a speed demon..i love drag racing..and i want to have a very fast car..but nothing outrageous..or that cant be driven on the street..

a friend at work has a buddy that has a Turbo 5.0...and he said the same thing..its insanely fast...i think a supercharger would be a nice touch also..just not too sure about how much gas im going to go through.

The good thing about a turbo setup is that it will only be as fast as you build it to be. I have seen turbo setups that netted just over 400 rwhp. Not too fast, but at the same time enough to be fun. It is all in what size turbo you put on it as to how much power it will make. Those guys have insanely fast mustangs because they put big turbos on thier cars. Also, you cant adjust a supercahrger like you can a turbo. With a turbo, just keep the boost controller to a decent level for every day driving, and crank that bad boy up at the track.

As far as a supercharger, I would prefer the turbo setup. It will cost you about the same as a s/c but you dont have to worry about throwing belts, parasitic drag on the engine, or problem upgrading. With a turbo, you just change flanges and turbos, make sure your fuel system is up to par, and go for it. Upgrading a supercharger kit can and often does include having to get a whole new kit basically, because the brackets from one will not always mount to the other.
Old 12/24/05, 01:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by MustangFanatic@December 24, 2005, 2:51 PM
There are a wide variety of cylinder heads available for the 5.0L engine, from mild to wild. TrickFlow certainly makes a good head and they also manufacture intakes, and camshafts to compliment their cylinder heads. If you go that route, I would purchase the entire package of products.

Holley also manufactures a SysteMax system that include heads, intake, camshaft on other support pieces. This system reportedly makes 350 hp at the flywheel. I've never run the system but the magazine articles I read on the products report outstanding results.

Of course Edelbrock makes great products both intakes and heads. Another manufacturer to consider is AFR. Their heads achieve both low end torque gains and high RPM HP.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, just do your research and purchase components designed to work together and you'll be very pleased with the results.

We all have our personally preferences, but I dont really care for the eddy intakes. I do like twisted wedge heads and intakes, as well as you probably couldnt go wrong with the full system max setup.
Old 12/24/05, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by MustangFanatic@December 24, 2005, 3:51 PM

so do you think i would be wasting time/money if i went ahead and got my exhaust work done..and then decided to Turbo my 302? because 2.5'' flow isnt going to help pull out power,3'' is more sutable for turbo applications....

i really want to do exhaust right now..but i think the head packages would be more beneficial to me...

if i plan on going with forced induction...what type of Camshaft should i be looking at?? ive heard,and seen a lot of people say that they cant go too aggressive..because of the valve overlap..and the valves staying open too long,for boost...i certainly dont want to stick with the stocker,but if thats the best and the safest way,should i do that?
Old 12/24/05, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by joker@December 24, 2005, 3:53 PM
We all have our personally preferences, but I dont really care for the eddy intakes. I do like twisted wedge heads and intakes, as well as you probably couldnt go wrong with the full system max setup.

how much does a full systemax setup run?
Old 12/24/05, 06:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Wisslin5.0@December 24, 2005, 3:01 PM
how much does a full systemax setup run?