Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

It's a Bad Day Today...

Search this Thread

Old 5/9/06, 07:32 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a Bad Day Today...

Alright, so today when I was driving my timing chain broke. I haven't got it looked at yet, and I know its gonna be bad, but I need an idea of what to expect. The crankshaft is pushed out about an inch or an inch and a half, and when that happened it broke the serpentine. The timing chain cover broke when the chain snapped, and all the oil out of there went everywhere.

Are 5.0s zero clearance engines?

Im just looking for a list of what could/will be wrecked, and how much its gonna cost to fix it, and maybe recommendations on what to do. Keeping in mind im a student so i dont have loads of money sitting around.
Old 5/16/06, 05:40 PM
FR500 Member

Sorry to hear your vehicle is out of commission. Out of curiousity, how many miles/kms on the engine? As for your student status, the "cheapest" route that comes to mind is buying a complete 5.0 HO engine out of a wrecked vehicle from a salvage yard or something. If you are mechanically inclined or know the right people, maybe you can scour online sites and build your own engine? Good luck, whatever you decide to do.
Old 5/17/06, 08:06 PM
Cobra Member

Building one would be cool, but i personally dont have an engine lift or anything, so itd be a bit of a problem to have it at someone elses house for a while while i put together an engine.

The engine had 195km on it, but i found a 5.0HO out of a 91 stang with the tranny and the guy wants 1500 for it. I think i could probably get both for $1000 though, which is the cheapest and best ive found so far. As for mine im currently pulling it apart trying to find any salvagable parts.
Old 5/18/06, 04:50 PM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
if that is $1000 Canadian, I reckon that will be by far the cheapest fix. If you have bent the crank, the engine you currently have is probably toast. As for the clearence, I am not sure, but that sounds like terminal damage to me.

Gonna move this to the specific Fox forum.

J
Old 5/19/06, 07:47 AM
Service Manager

Received 452 Likes on 224 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottyBoy302
Alright, so today when I was driving my timing chain broke. I haven't got it looked at yet, and I know its gonna be bad, but I need an idea of what to expect. The crankshaft is pushed out about an inch or an inch and a half, and when that happened it broke the serpentine. The timing chain cover broke when the chain snapped, and all the oil out of there went everywhere.

Are 5.0s zero clearance engines?

Im just looking for a list of what could/will be wrecked, and how much its gonna cost to fix it, and maybe recommendations on what to do. Keeping in mind im a student so i dont have loads of money sitting around.
I am betting there is more wrong than just a timing chain! Reason being that I have had 300,000 MILE 5.0 engines that I have beat on that have never tossed a timing chain...they are double roller chains and the worst they might do is skip a tooth if they get too loose.

For the crank to move....that is serious and I suspect something catastrophic....same thing with a broken timing chain cover....you have bigger problems than just a timing chain.

The ONLY way the crank can move forward would be A) The main thrust bearing is gone B) broken crank......and the ONLY way the crank would move forward enough to break a timing cover would be a broken crank.

Do you have any pics of the damage? that might tell me more....
Old 5/19/06, 09:37 AM
Cobra Member

Im just headin over to my dad's friends shop right now. Hes gonna be doing all the real work on it after i get some of the basic things apart, ill snap some pics of it.

And yes, the engine is $1000cdn. Im probably going to be looking at that this afternoon too.

Anyways, I talked to another one of my dads friends who builds race engines for The Mustang Shop here in town and he said when that happens its most often when guys are running superchargers or nitrous. Since i doubt the guy i bought it from would have taken off a supercharger to sell the car, he musta forgot to mention he was running on the juice.
Old 5/19/06, 12:20 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

um..............that might effect your current gas consumption. definitely get some pics. i havent seen the crank come out of the front of the block before.
Old 5/19/06, 01:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

I've never heard of something like this happening before but it does sound catastrophic like Paul said.

I can kinda relate about sellers not disclosing all information...
I remember when my dad and I were shopping for foxes I looked at this one that was obviously abused hard (broken seat from hard launches, interior completely trashed, etc..) and it had nitrous run through it although it was no longer hooked up. The seller admitted he ran nitrous and said he always ran it hard at the strip as if that was suppose to make me feel better about buying the hunk of junk. I knew there was more wrong with it than he admitted. He also told me he drove it on the street every day even though it was out of inspection for 2 years. When I told him I was gonna pass on the car cause I need a daily driver, not a strip car, him and his sleezeball family started screaming at me, my dad, (and even my grandmother who was there!) saying; "you don't buy a mustang to drive everyday, you buy it to race it!" and my favorite "I spent all that time to take the nitrous jets out for you!" (yeah, 10 minutes, I didn't even test drive it anyway) and they said many more expletives about us not buying the car.

Sorry for going off topic a little but it sucks when a seller doesn't disclose everything about the car and you end up paying for it down the line with major broken parts. That sounds like a good deal if that is a good, complete engine, especially with the tranny!
Old 5/19/06, 05:25 PM
Cobra Member

Alright guys, so if i grab the crankshaft pulley i can wiggle it around, probably about an inch of play in every direction.

I got some pics but they are too big to put on here and i never figured out how to resize them even though im sure itll be something pretty obvious. Can someone tell me how to do it?

I called another guy today who had an engine and tranny. Engine was same money ($1000) with double the miles, but he wanted $1500 for just the transmission with 200,000 kms on it. There is no way a T5 is worth that.
Old 5/20/06, 06:40 AM
Service Manager

Received 452 Likes on 224 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottyBoy302
Alright guys, so if i grab the crankshaft pulley i can wiggle it around, probably about an inch of play in every direction.
Provided the harmonic balancer is still bolted on.....You my friend have a broken crank

Somebody has beaten that engine to death!!!
Old 5/21/06, 11:01 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

you should tear the block apart and use the broken crank as a paper weight on your desk or something. that will definitely be a conversation starter. sorry to hear about your car that stinks
Old 5/21/06, 05:53 PM
GT Member

Man I am so sorry to hear about this.