Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

intake manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 1/1/12, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
intake manifold?

I'm not sure which one to go with. I'm leaning towards an edelbrock manifold for my Fox but I've also been looking into trickflow, bbk, gt40, and the 5.0 explorer intake. Any suggestions? I want something that won't have trouble fitting under the stock hood but will give me the most bang for my buck and also that will fit a sock style throttle body.
Old 1/1/12, 01:25 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by nickel501989
I'm not sure which one to go with. I'm leaning towards an edelbrock manifold for my Fox but I've also been looking into trickflow, bbk, gt40, and the 5.0 explorer intake. Any suggestions? I want something that won't have trouble fitting under the stock hood but will give me the most bang for my buck and also that will fit a sock style throttle body.
1st walk away from the BBK intake. On the other forums I'm on there where way to many fuel leaks & other problems and really for all the trouble that intake provides the dyno #'s are not that great over the other intakes. The explorer/GT 40 are the same intake but one has a tubular upper both have the same gt40 lowers and are pretty close flow wise.

The performer/rpm II are great intakes just like trick flow but to be truthful you are just going to choke them off with the stock heads so the real flow of these intakes will not be felt until you upgrade. If you are going to leave the stock E7s on for very long time or don't have any plans for head change then look for the explorer intake on ebay/classifieds for cheap money another option is a real '93 Cobra intake ( not the china made FRPP one). A very good low budjet combo for the street is the explorer intake, GT40P heads and a trick flow stage 1 cam + gears really wakes up these cars..just food for thought.
Old 1/1/12, 02:03 PM

Thanks for the input, i am not planning on keeping the stock heads for that long, actually, my next investment was going to be afr 185 heads and as for camshafts, i was looking into a comp cams one but is a trickflow one any better? I've seen a lot of people using trickflow cams or E303 cams but i've also been told comp cams makes the best.
Old 1/1/12, 03:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Comp is a good cam but who makes the best, hey when it comes to car stuff that could get argued to death. Just like AFR heads they aren't junk but there are other options but it seems when it comes to certian parts since everyone hears of this or that or it gets posted about that certian part gets put into thier head so everyone thinks AFR, BBK, etc, etc. Twisted wedge heads or Brodix 5.0. heads are great heads also ( stay away far away from patriot ), just like Anderson makes a decent off the shelf cam and FRPP/trick flow like you mentioned and others.

I'm saving my pennies now for a motor build. I'll be running ported Brodix heads, custom ground cam and an edelbrock intake. I like to stay out of the main stream
Old 1/1/12, 03:39 PM

I respect that, I'm somewhat doing the same thing too, i have quite a few professional products bolt ons because I know with some parts, like throttle bodies, it doesn't matter what the brand, as long as they preform the same. I kinda laugh any time I hear that someone waisted money by buying bbk throttle bodies when professional products makes the same exact thing for half the price. The only reason I'm choosing afr heads is cuz it's dyno proven to be the most powerful (even though twisted wedge is pretty even with it) and i know the 185cc heads are street legal in California. California carb laws suck and I've had issues with cars not being able to pass smog before even though they passed the emissions part of the test. I actually ended up getting rid of that car because of that and getting my Fox because there was much more potential while still keeping it street legal

Last edited by nickel501989; 1/1/12 at 04:28 PM.
Old 1/1/12, 05:23 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by nickel501989
I respect that, I'm somewhat doing the same thing too, i have quite a few professional products bolt ons because I know with some parts, like throttle bodies, it doesn't matter what the brand, as long as they preform the same. I kinda laugh any time I hear that someone waisted money by buying bbk throttle bodies when professional products makes the same exact thing for half the price. The only reason I'm choosing afr heads is cuz it's dyno proven to be the most powerful (even though twisted wedge is pretty even with it) and i know the 185cc heads are street legal in California. California carb laws suck and I've had issues with cars not being able to pass smog before even though they passed the emissions part of the test. I actually ended up getting rid of that car because of that and getting my Fox because there was much more potential while still keeping it street legal

I agree to an extent about certian products. BBK and some Professional products throttle bodies have been known to "whistle" and on some cases have bind in the blade. Accufab while cost more makes w/o a doubt the best and smoothest TB on the market IMHO. I have a FRPP TB probally made by the same company making all the lower priced stuff. Professional products makes a copy "typhoon" intake that has hoorible casting flash, in one of the magazines I have they did a flow test and the #'s where not that great until they cleaned all teh casting crap up and got it to flow better but the real "Typhoon" has better castings right out of the box..in this case you get what you pay for. The same is true for patriot heads vs AFR, Trickflow, etc. you have to research, and not just forums for info. Just like getting an aftermarket ignition system or "box" a stock or mild H,C,I mustang is a huge waste when teh stock system has been dyno proven effective to well into the 400hp range. I totally agree the AFRs will do you just fine so don't get me wrong but there areas where quality parts are needed and all isn't what it seems. best of luck to you
Old 1/1/12, 05:26 PM

Thanks