Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

instrument cluster, a/c & heater control lighting replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10/11/07, 10:08 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
instrument cluster, a/c & heater control lighting replacement

I'm interested in replacing the bulbs in my instrument cluster with (blue?) colored LEDs and would like to match the a/c / heater vent control panel and the A/T "PRNDL" lighting as well. I don't know how many bulbs there are, or the bulb types and locations. Seen pictures on another forum but haven't been able to find any other references while searching on the 'net. Thanks in advance.
Old 10/11/07, 10:12 PM
GT Member

That would be a very cool Idea, and since my stereo head unit's lights are blue that would be great for my car. Unfortunately I do not know how to do this, but I would love to know how also especially if it is something easy.

BUMP
Old 10/12/07, 07:21 PM
x21
Bullitt Member

I'm about to replace a few 'intermittent' bulbs in mine soon. Sounds like an interesting idea. I am guessing these are simple push in type bulbs. Unless you are really particular to LED bulbs, couldnt you look up the bulb part # and match that to a colored version of it? I think in the 'fast n furious' section of the autoparts stores, they have colored bulbs by APC, I think. If I recall right, I thought I saw red, blue, and maybe green.
Old 10/13/07, 02:53 AM
FR500 Member

I think they are replacements for type #194 bulbs (in a plastic twist socket). Reportedly, the dimmer control function is retained as well. Thinking of going w/white LEDs since they are the brightest and other people want to use blue (also want to avoid any possible trouble with law enforcement and indiglo-type gauges don't cut it for me). Other colors I've seen listed are blue, yellow, red, amber, green, purple, and ultraviolet. Could also replace the idiot/warning & turn signal indicator lights in the cluster, it seems. If others in my local Mustang club get a group buy going, I'll see how it turns out and hopefully post some pics - unless someone here can do it first.
Old 10/14/07, 03:16 PM
GT Member

hi5.0, what do you mean by trouble with the Law Enforcement? You can get a ticket for not changing dash lights?
Old 10/15/07, 08:52 PM

www.superbrightleds.com. Have the blue led's in mine. I took a few of them out because, the side gauges in the dash were way too dark. I have cowl gauges that are also blue and those look great. I left tow in behind the speedo and tach needles and now they glow blue. Looks good. I did the blue ones behind the temp controls and they are ok but, hard to see. I have several extra blue bulbs and if anyone wants them I will sell them. I have about 6 to 8 left over. There are approximately 9 in the dash and two in the trmp controls.
Old 10/16/07, 03:14 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Stix66
hi5.0, what do you mean by trouble with the Law Enforcement? You can get a ticket for not changing dash lights?
Might get cited for blue light in vehicle. Especially when it's non-OEM replacement. I've seen the citations issued here for HID conversions w/bluish tint or blue accent lighting, etc. Like some disclaimers say -check your state/local laws before ordering.

droptop91, do you have pics? any info you could share w/others in this thread or links to similar threads would be appreciated.

FWIW, I looked at headlight and hazard switch assemblies and those bulbs are soldered in type...
Old 10/16/07, 08:18 AM

I will get some pics. The bulbs that these people sell are replacements for the 194's. They list everything for the cars in led's. I am planning on using the led taillight bulbs in the future. I have not had any problems with law enforcement here in AL or in GA where I frequently travel to. I don't think that there are any laws governing what the interior lights look like, just the headlights and exterior lights. Most states have laws concerning the Cool Blue lights but, most don't enforce them. Some police do but, this is more of just an excuse to pull someone over and pass out tickets. When you go to their website be sure and read that section on how to choose your lights. Some are directional and some spread the light out.
Old 10/16/07, 01:05 PM
GT Member

i've actually thought about doing this myself with my 86 and as far as i know as long as the light does not flash it should be legal at least thats how it is in south carolina, and as far as the bulbs go with my dash lights it not the bulbs them self that give off the orange glow but rather a large orange filter that surrounds the bulbs, but im not sure about the light for the shifter
Old 4/14/13, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by hi5.0
Might get cited for blue light in vehicle. Especially when it's non-OEM replacement. I've seen the citations issued here for HID conversions w/bluish tint or blue accent lighting, etc. Like some disclaimers say -check your state/local laws before ordering.

droptop91, do you have pics? any info you could share w/others in this thread or links to similar threads would be appreciated.

FWIW, I looked at headlight and hazard switch assemblies and those bulbs are soldered in type...
I live in FL and have blue neon around my subs(on an on\off switch) and it's pretty bright, I've driven by cops at night with it on and didn't have any trouble.

That being said you'd probably be alright, but it is best to check local\state laws(like said before)

I've thinking about doing this and I don't know how to get into the A/C control head to change the bulbs out