Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

How can I be sure?

Search this Thread

Old 2/3/05 | 08:38 PM
V6 Member

Okay. So, I have owned 3 foxes in my life, but gas prices forced me to sell mine 2 years ago. I have been driving a civic ever since then, YUK. Anyway, I now have a company car, so I am in the market for another fox to play with. I was looking at some dealers the other day and came across an 89 GT that is supposedly a one owner car with only 51,000 miles on it. I looked the car over for rust and found none. The interior is pretty clean, but the driver's side arm rest is loose and the stearing wheel shows some wear. The headlights only show minimal yellowing, and the headers look new. But the title says the miles are exempt, due to the age of the stang. I want to beleive that it is the original mileage, but, it needs a heater core, new front rotors, and the molding around the window is really faded as well as around the moonroof. But the rubber weather stripping is great. Also, the plastic molding pieces that are at the bottom of the side windows are cracked to heck. So, can anyone tell me if there is a sure fire way to tell if this car only has 51k on it??? ALso, the selling price is 5900$? is this a good deal?? thanks. later.
Old 2/4/05 | 06:35 AM
V6 Member

Quite possible that it is actual milage. Do a leak down test and see what kind of condition the bottom end is in. Seems a little high priced but if the block is still in good condition id try to hagle a bit.

Good Luck........
Old 2/5/05 | 12:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

the heater core is a 5.3 hour job and that DOES NOT include evacuating the A/C if you have it, then probably retrofiting it to r-134a and charging it. So that is a lot of money for labor if you have a shop do it, and it is not fun doing it yourself. Make sure anti-freeze isn't leaking on the passenger side floor already. Rotors are inexpensive if you buy them yourself- DO NOT buy them through a garage and have them install them, the price will be marked up a lot. That car seems high priced even if it was in better condition.
Old 2/10/05 | 03:31 PM

There is an online company called Carfax that provides vehicle history reports (for a small fee, at least small compared to the cost of buying a lemon). Not sure how much info they have on older cars, but they can usually tell if the title is clear, and have certain checks that may reveal an odometer rollback.

HTH

Oh, you need the VIN...