Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Gt40 question??

Search this Thread

Old 11/24/12, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gt40 question??

Will the gt40 upper and lower intake off a 98 explorer fit my 88 gt?
Old 11/24/12, 06:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Yes it will. Skunk21 did a write up on this in the tech sticky.
Old 11/24/12, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by dcpirani
Yes it will. Skunk21 did a write up on this in the tech sticky.
Bolt right up with no modification?
Old 11/24/12, 12:34 PM
Cobra R Member

post #7 in our tech section has the GT40 info put here is intake info.

Early explorer intakes will be '95 thru early '97 use an internal EGR set up. ( *note: All explorers has external EGR but the early ones had provisions for internal, these early intakes where in fact leftovers from teh cobra line )

**The early intake is the one you want** The early intake has the boss in the #5 runner for ACT sensor ( the later intake does not). It will need to be drilled and tapped for 3/8 NPT and at the back of teh lower intake is a boss for the coolant line for the EGR spacer block on the TB, this also needs to be drilled and tapped.

NOTE: Info on the later intakes. These are set up for external EGR only, they have no boss in the #5 intake runner like the early intake ( and the factory mustang intake) but even more important these intakes got very cheap. The material is very thin so care is needed when drilling and taping these intakes since there is very little material for the threads or move the ACT sensor to the air inlet track piping but you need to lengthen the wires. Also the upper intake in very thin VS the early intake and teh lower flange area is prone to cracking around the bolt holes.
Old 11/25/12, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by skunk21
post #7 in our tech section has the GT40 info put here is intake info.

Early explorer intakes will be '95 thru early '97 use an internal EGR set up. ( *note: All explorers has external EGR but the early ones had provisions for internal, these early intakes where in fact leftovers from teh cobra line )

**The early intake is the one you want** The early intake has the boss in the #5 runner for ACT sensor ( the later intake does not). It will need to be drilled and tapped for 3/8 NPT and at the back of teh lower intake is a boss for the coolant line for the EGR spacer block on the TB, this also needs to be drilled and tapped.

NOTE: Info on the later intakes. These are set up for external EGR only, they have no boss in the #5 intake runner like the early intake ( and the factory mustang intake) but even more important these intakes got very cheap. The material is very thin so care is needed when drilling and taping these intakes since there is very little material for the threads or move the ACT sensor to the air inlet track piping but you need to lengthen the wires. Also the upper intake in very thin VS the early intake and teh lower flange area is prone to cracking around the bolt holes.
So pretty much the 95 thru early 97 don't require any mods? Where is a good place to find them, junkyard? I would also want the heads too if I find it
Old 11/25/12, 02:46 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by jdim
So pretty much the 95 thru early 97 don't require any mods? Where is a good place to find them, junkyard? I would also want the heads too if I find it
need to tap the threads like stated, very easy. the later intakes more pia. Junk yards, ebay, classifieds, etc and are god sources. if you go to the tech thread I have pics of the GT40 heads and how to id them.