Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

fusible link info

Search this Thread

Old 8/2/13, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fusible link info

Hey Skunk I just read the "no start" checklist and was wondering about the fusible links near the starter solenoid, since I don't have any experience with them. How do I check them? Pierce with a probe light and look for 12 volts on either side of the link? And then how do I replace, just cut it out and splice in a new one. I don't recall ever seeing them for sale but I have never looked for them either. What happened is I put in a new coil and distributor and then get no spark when I try to start. No spark coming out of the coil that is. Tomorrow I'm going to check for 12 volts at the coil harness connector but if I don't get 12 volts there, I'm not sure what to do next. I do have a new igntion switch that I didn't put in yet, (and I will check the voltage at the old one) but I can't believe a simple coil swap is causing this problem. BTW I put the old coil back in and had same problem. I was wondering if one the FLs got broken when I was putting on the new coil. I tried to be careful but the bottom left screw was pretty tight getting my socket in there. Any ideas? Thanks much.