Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

fan and water pump Q's

Search this Thread

Old 12/8/07, 07:38 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation fan and water pump Q's

I know, not a fox, but I need some help and this area gets more traffic. Plus the motor in question is a '92 302 so you guys might be able to shed some light on this for me

Just recently I was told by my mechanic that there were two thigns contributing to my car's running hot: the water pump was going, and my mechanical fan was for a 2.3L (go figure)

So what I want to know is will this fan out of a latemodel V8 explorer fit in my II? the motor in my II is a 1992 5.0. Additionally, is there any actual benefit to this fan? It looks pretty monstrous and seems like it would flow better, but i dont know for sure. If theres no real benefit to this, or if it doesn't fit, what do you all recommend? I think it probably will fit, but I'd like to ask some of you smarter folk first before I make the plunge...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...QQcmdZViewItem

Also, on the topic of water pumps, how much better is a $70 Edelbrock one compared to a Ford part, or even one of the cheaper $20ish ones on eBay? I'm willing to spend money where I need to, but id I don't need to, hey thats some saved cash

generic pump vs Edelbrock pump

I'd really like to get my II to run reliably in the near future so I can focus on updating the rest of it. Thanks in advance!
Old 12/8/07, 09:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmmmm I'm not positive, but that fan doesn't look like it would bolt up. Its definitely got more and smaller blades and its metal not plastic... but I'd suggest you skip that and keep looking for a fox fan, I found mine on ebay for like 15 bucks total so they can't too hard to find.

As for the water pump, I have a $26 Advance Auto parts pump on my car, it does what its supposed to. Only thing is you gotta check the two bolts that hold the backing plate to the pump. Mine were loose and I never checked them because they were already on the pump when I pulled it out of the box. For almost a year I wondered why coolant was pooling up on the top of the timing cover... the coolant would squirt past the gasket at the loose spot in the backing plate and eventually one day when I got on it hard the whole gasket let loose and I had coolant EVERYWHERE.

In short, a parts store pump will work fine, but check it and tighten all the bolts.

For what its worth, I'll eventually install an edelbrock or maybe an electric WP when either this one goes bad or I want to redo the motor. I figure if the the car is gonna have all this money put into it and I'm gonna run it hard, I'd feel better not having to rely on a generic WP...
Old 12/8/07, 11:00 PM
Post *****

Yeah, i just saw and bid on this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=330194845083

Can't beat $5 :P

Nice to know that the water pump is useable. I'm not building a really fast II, not in the least. I'm very happy with the stock power, especially all that low end torque so the need for hi-po parts like the Edelbrock won't be neccessary (for now :P)
Old 12/9/07, 05:45 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
I replaced the water pump in my first Capri with a unit from Summitt that, if I remember correctly, was a stock unit or maybe a mid-range unit. Worked fine and I had a '93 Cobra longblock in the Capri.

As far as the fan, how's the fan clutch? Might also want to get a new(er) clutch.
Old 12/9/07, 08:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by future9er24
Yeah, i just saw and bid on this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=330194845083

Can't beat $5 :P

Nice to know that the water pump is useable. I'm not building a really fast II, not in the least. I'm very happy with the stock power, especially all that low end torque so the need for hi-po parts like the Edelbrock won't be neccessary (for now :P)

ewwww I don't recommend a flex-fan. I had one on my car and while it cooled well, it made a godawful groaning/whirling sound that drowned everything else out. It got annoying real quick
Old 12/9/07, 01:20 PM
Post *****

Well.. my car already makes a number of godawful noises when it drives, plus theres the fact that over the engine noise in the car, I can hardly hear anything else. If it cools well, tahts all I care about lol

about the clutch.. I cant remember ever seeing one on my car, and I'm kind of curious as to how they work/what they do and if I really need it or not. I saw it on the exploder fan, but not on alot of the other fans. I don't have my car here, but looking at some of my old pics i can see that i dont have one

Even if I wanted one it doesnt look like i could make one fit in at this point
Old 12/9/07, 02:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yikes!! That fan has got to go!!! Get the fan with SSP Clutch and you wont have any problems!! I know space is a problem, you might have to goto an electric fan for that..
Old 12/9/07, 02:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

yeah you could do an efan for some more money, my black magic xtreme works very well.