Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Faded Interior

Search this Thread

Old 6/17/16, 02:29 PM
V6 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Faded Interior

Mostly everything inside is original, but is faded and some of the plastic in the hatch is brittle. I would like to keep everything as original as possible however...any ideas on dyes or someway of bringing back some color for the seats or plastics?
Attached Thumbnails Faded Interior-photo778.jpg   Faded Interior-photo871.jpg   Faded Interior-photo449.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
ofequipmentgolf (6/22/16)
Old 7/11/16, 09:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts
Some of the hard plastic panels can simply be painted. If damaged, you can get pretty good reproductions from places like CJ Pony Parts. As for upholstery and carpeting - if it were me I would consider replacement. I would be concerned about colorfast issues with dyes, and you would still have very old upholstery and carpet.

I drove a '90 hatch with the red interior for 11 years. The interiors of those cars held up better than the interiors of the S197's, in my opinion.

You might have to do it a little but at a time, depending on your funds. But you can restore that interior to look pretty close to new.
Old 7/13/16, 04:33 AM
V6 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Paris MkVI
Some of the hard plastic panels can simply be painted. If damaged, you can get pretty good reproductions from places like CJ Pony Parts. As for upholstery and carpeting - if it were me I would consider replacement. I would be concerned about colorfast issues with dyes, and you would still have very old upholstery and carpet.

I drove a '90 hatch with the red interior for 11 years. The interiors of those cars held up better than the interiors of the S197's, in my opinion.

You might have to do it a little but at a time, depending on your funds. But you can restore that interior to look pretty close to new.
I've been working on painting some things on her interior...and yes, I know it's not supposed to be how she originally looked but I think it picks up two tone that I have on the dash and console...
Attached Thumbnails Faded Interior-photo983.jpg   Faded Interior-photo612.jpg   Faded Interior-photo234.jpg   Faded Interior-photo634.jpg   Faded Interior-photo467.jpg