Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

EGR question

Search this Thread

Old 9/6/11, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGR question

I have a 90 gt conv. And it is throwing a egr valve position sensor code. The pic i have attached is of the egr valve. It is the small lighter color between the two other valves. The eleftrical adaptor for the valve is directly to the left of it. Is this a egr delete?? I bought a new sensor and cant fidn where to install it because this valve has a small line connected to it. Im not sure wuat is going on with my situation. Can someone help me?
Attached Images  
Old 9/6/11, 04:55 PM

That is not a pic of the egr valve. That's a pic of 5.0l with a missing egr valve. The egr valve goes on the egr spacer between the throttle body and the upper intake plenum. Also what's that connector with nothing plugged into it? Buy yourself a service manual man. Good luck!
Old 9/6/11, 06:50 PM

I have A manual but it doesnt have a pic in it. That adaptor is for thebegr valve. I though the middle valve was a bypass valve or something. Can u post a pic of what the egr should look like. A pic in a motor. Thanks for ur help.
Old 9/7/11, 02:35 PM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Moving to the technical section
Old 9/8/11, 09:50 AM

Curious what code did it throw? and does it make it drive bad.. I think mine is bad? got 81 83 66 63 codes
Old 9/8/11, 02:47 PM

It actually threw code 31, 41, 91. Which is the egr valve position sensor. But my car doesnt have an egr valve, i guess. I am trying to figure out where it would go and i cant see even where the delete is. But the car runs fine. It usually wont stay cranked when i first start it cold for like a minute and then it runs fije. But i want to getbthe check engije light taken care. It also shows o2 code. I need change those. Any idea on the egr valve?
Old 9/10/11, 09:15 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by homershoots
That is not a pic of the egr valve. That's a pic of 5.0l with a missing egr valve. The egr valve goes on the egr spacer between the throttle body and the upper intake plenum. Also what's that connector with nothing plugged into it? Buy yourself a service manual man. Good luck!
+1.
Looks like the connector with nothing plugged into it is the one for the EGR valve position sensor. The EGR delete should be a plate bolted near the throttle body on the spacer toward the firewall side that covers the hole. Possibly the one with the threads sticking out (should be 2 bolts) in the foreground of the picture. Unless your car also does not have a throttle body/EGR spacer. You're also going to need to find out if the vacuum line leading to the EGR valve was plugged or removed.
My car currently does not have the EGR valve hooked up (no EGR/throttle body spacer and won't clear even with a cowl hood) although it still has the electrical connection for the valve position sensor hooked up and kept in the 'neutral position' through the ingenious use of velcro. The EGR vacuum line is blocked off as well. It does throw codes and the Check Engine Light comes on sometimes, but it resets immediately after turning the car off only to return again after the car has been running a certain amount of time.
Old 9/18/11, 08:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

You can purchase an EGR Eliminator plug, about 20.00 You can then remove all the EGR related items and plug/block accordingly. Shop manual best bet.