Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

dyed/painted interior

Search this Thread

Old 7/13/05, 10:16 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did a search to no avail, so please forgive if this has been beaten to death.
The 89 I purchased orginally had the red interior, it has been painted or dyed black now, the carpet is still kind of red, and the seats were changed to grey.
Can the black be taken off without damaging the trim? or should i just touch up the black, get seat covers and replace the old carpet with black????

and is it common to dye/paint the interior?
Old 7/14/05, 07:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont know about removing it but you can get that dye. 50restro has it for $11 a can. Depending on how much money you can spend should determine how you want the interior done. If you have enough money and make it red again. If not just do the black. However if you change the carpet then you're looking at a little over $100. The prices might be close but check first.
Old 7/14/05, 07:55 AM
Service Manager

Received 452 Likes on 224 Posts
Originally posted by Hotrod@July 14, 2005, 7:49 AM
I dont know about removing it but you can get that dye. 50restro has it for $11 a can. Depending on how much money you can spend should determine how you want the interior done. If you have enough money and make it red again. If not just do the black. However if you change the carpet then you're looking at a little over $100. The prices might be close but check first.

I wouldn't buy that paint from them...it is not anywhere close to being correct. The black is too glossy and their 86 Charcoal grey has too much red in it and is too glossy. I restore interiors and have tried those products and was not even remotely impressed.

If you are doing your own interior and must use spray cans then find a place that sells SEM paints and get the color chart to figure out what you need. They are listed as bumper paints on the can but are perfect for interiors and are flexible. Ford paint was made for them by Duplicolor and were very good but most colors have been discontinued.

At my shop I mix my own on my paint mixing system and it is a professional product that works well but not everyone has their own source for this sort of thing like I do. I redid the interior in my SVO years ago with spray can Ford paint and SEM and it still looks new. I recently did my coupe rear panels with my own system here and it worked out great and the black is correct unlike a customers car I have here that used the product mentioned above for his dash pod and it is too glossy and gives you a BAD glare in the sunlight.