Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

could use some help

Search this Thread

Old 3/28/07, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
could use some help

i have a 1992 convertible, 2.3, and im having all kinds of problems with it right now. its idling very low and sometimes stalling out, engine shakes, sounds terrible, when i hold the brake to shift into drive, park, etc. ive been going thru alot of gas, barely gettin 10-12 miles per gallon. i have changed the o2 sensor, spark plugs, plug wires, mass airflow sensor, pcv valve, fuel filter, egr valve and the sensor that attaches to it, among other things, thats just all i can remember at the moment. its still runnin terrible, i can barely get to 55 mph and to get to that takes forever. ive had the transmission checked, i just had a new one put on less than 4 yrs ago and everything checks out. i had all new exhaust pipes, muffler, everything except the catalytic converter, put on less than 6 months ago. my fuel pressure is reading at 32, not sure exactly what its supposed to be, but u can hear the fuel pump kick on when the car is started, just like it normally does. its almost like it isnt getting the fuel it needs to go. does anyone have any ideas what this might be?
Old 3/28/07, 03:34 PM
Service Manager

Received 447 Likes on 221 Posts
First thing I would check is the catalytic converter...sound like it could be stopped up.
Old 3/29/07, 06:13 AM

thank you, the catalytic converter has been checked, and cleaned, with no effects
Old 3/29/07, 06:30 AM
Service Manager

Received 447 Likes on 221 Posts
Did they tell you they "Cleaned" the catalytic converter? If So they lied to you...you cannot "Clean" a converter.
Old 3/29/07, 08:01 AM

maybe cleaned was the wrong word, im not a car expert, but the place that did the muffler and exhaust checked it, whatever that entails, and didnt charge me 500.00 to replace it, they said it was still in very good shape, this isnt a car thats been neglected or anything....the only thing that hasnt been replaced as far as the what showed on the codes is the barometric sensor, which i cant even find in the chilton i have for the car so i dont know where its located. also after reading my thought was maybe the ignition control module???
Old 3/29/07, 08:30 AM
GT Member

What codes were you getting? And what codes are you getting now? Replacing parts can sometimes fix the code issue. Sometimes not. And sometimes causes other codes to pop up.
It's probably getting the fuel it needs, just sounds as if it isn't using it properly.
Old 3/30/07, 06:03 AM

172 - lean conditioner bank #1 - injector pulse higher than expected
222 - 223 = mechanic told me these were for the barometric pressure sensor, i ordered this and should be here today
224 - this has been replaced, ignition coil i think its called - it was an old code that didnt get cleared, the part is only 2 weeks old
332 - egr valve opening not detected - this i bought also but when i put it on there was no change

we also took off the iac and cleaned it and it ran fine for a little while, then right back to the same thing
Old 3/30/07, 09:08 PM
GT Member

Have you cleared the EEC codes by disconnecting the battery for about 10 minutes? Run a self test again. I'm interested in hearing more about the Baro Pressure issue.

http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=45 <<<<< in case you don't have a link.
Old 3/31/07, 06:52 AM

my baro sensor didnt come in yesterday, it should be here today, then i will have the codes cleared and ran again....if this doesnt take care of it im outta ideas
thank you for that link, what the mechanic told me and the parts he said to get dont really make alot of sense from the codes reading, but i dont really know either
Old 7/21/10, 11:04 PM

check your injecters make sure they are working pull one at a time off and on see if you get and change in idle like a rough to smooth also make sure you egr ports are not plugged up buicks are known to completely close up how about 02 reading are they good