Cold air intake!!

Search this Thread

Old 10/4/12, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold air intake!!

Whats the best parts and brand?
Old 10/4/12, 05:47 PM

Just a elbow off the TB to a cone style filter? Honestly the best is the factory intake.

If your hell bent on getting one you could go with the Bbk inner fender cai which puts the filter between your fender and inner fender. If I could get a stock intake I would run it over the Bbk elbow and k&n filter I have now.
Old 10/5/12, 06:21 AM
Cobra R Member

Like stated the best "cold" air intake for the fox is to remove the silencer and use a drop in K&N ( oiled) or dry type foam filter in the stock box. there isn't any gains..well very small gains, very small from the other brands.

I have a mac fender mount intake, which I totally state is for looks vs performance, since there is none. stay away from ones that have the filter inside the engine compartment, they can suffer from fan wash/under hood heat. also some have had maf issues with some brands , some use a tighter elbow and the air turbulance can cause some issues. you may need to clock the maf or change out the elbow. I had to clock my maf with the mac then I was fine and also use a maf adapter ( I have a link for them). At times a almost just want to clean up my factory box and put it back in.

Last edited by skunk21; 10/5/12 at 09:25 AM. Reason: spelling LOL.
Old 10/5/12, 07:15 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by skunk21
Like stated the best "cold" air intake for the fox is to remove the silencer and use a drop in K&N or dry type foam filter in the stock box. there isn't any gains..well very small gains, very small from the other brands.

I have a mac fender mount intake, which I totally state is for looks vs performance, since there is none. stay away from ones that have the filter inside the engine compartment, they can suffer from fan wash/under hood heat. also some have had maf issues with some brands and thier maf, some use a tighter elbow and the air turbulance can cause some issues. you may need to clock the maf or change out the elbow. I had to clock my maf with the mac then I was fine and also use a maf adapter. At times a almost just want to clean up my factory bax and put it back in.
Good info skunk. I'm running the BBK fender mount in the 91 and was gonna move it over to the 93. It was the only mod on the other car and it seemed to run just a hair rougher at idle. Should I clock the MAF when I move it over?

I'll probably try it both ways just to see.
Old 10/5/12, 09:23 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Good info skunk. I'm running the BBK fender mount in the 91 and was gonna move it over to the 93. It was the only mod on the other car and it seemed to run just a hair rougher at idle. Should I clock the MAF when I move it over?

I'll probably try it both ways just to see.

Gary, yeah you can try and clock the maf but also pay attention to the pipe going to the TB the rubber adapter and the bend of the pipe on most kits are very tight and I see on almost all of them the hose clamps are tilted ( really cannot be helped) but if not careful it can be a source of an airleak. I played with mine a few times to get it so the rubber adapters didn't have an open end and fit better on the pipe.
Old 10/7/12, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by skunk21

Gary, yeah you can try and clock the maf but also pay attention to the pipe going to the TB the rubber adapter and the bend of the pipe on most kits are very tight and I see on almost all of them the hose clamps are tilted ( really cannot be helped) but if not careful it can be a source of an airleak. I played with mine a few times to get it so the rubber adapters didn't have an open end and fit better on the pipe.
Forgive my ignorance but what is clocking the maf?
Old 10/8/12, 06:02 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 90mustangLX
Forgive my ignorance but what is clocking the maf?
"clocking" is rotating the maf sometimes not by much to get the element in a steady stream of air. some of these intakes are not too worried about pure performance design vs fitting it in the available space. if the tube has a real hard bend going into the maf it can cause alot of turbulent air and may result is idle issues or maf codes. some companies have better designs and also sell different piping so you can move th maf back away from teh hard bend. I'm just not a huge fan of cold air intakes on obd1 cars they don't react like the newer stuff and there has really never been a real good one for the fox 9 save for the stock box mod). bbk, mac, ebay, etc they look and perform about the same but some can cause more issues than others. they rate higher on looks vs anything else. some guys would also try and clock aftermarket mafs that where acting ill, sometimes you could move them around while back probing the "D" wire and watch the voltage change and get it where it would be okay..really in these cases it is the maf and should be sent back or trashed.