Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 8/8/12, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold air intake

back this week and im trying to figure out wat kind of cold air intake will be good for my mustang, recently i got a full flowmaster exhaust kit put on and i was told it is the 40 series, some confusion on was i had asked for and what got put on so thats where i am at now
Old 8/15/12, 12:19 AM

BBK or K&N is the best way to go a bit pricey but worth it
Old 8/15/12, 01:04 AM
GTR Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
+ 1 K&N here
Old 8/30/12, 08:40 PM

its got a k&n but its completely the stock filter too, also and this maybe a stupid question but mechanics hasnt my thing yet, can i tune my maps from the filter or just part of em? i ask because the ones i have looked up come wit a tuner usually
Old 8/31/12, 10:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 91mustang
its got a k&n but its completely the stock filter too, also and this maybe a stupid question but mechanics hasnt my thing yet, can i tune my maps from the filter or just part of em? i ask because the ones i have looked up come wit a tuner usually
What do you mean k&n and stock filter? You don't need a tune for your mods. The fox computers are more adaptable than newer cars. Until you get into atleast full hci or FI then I wouldn't worry about a tune.
Old 8/31/12, 11:03 PM
GT Member

+1 K&N... Good quality material and looks good under the hood.
Old 8/31/12, 11:32 PM
Bullitt Member

im personally not a fan of k&n. i dont like any oil type filters. because if not done properly you can get oil on your maf causing faulty readings. but like i said if done right it wont hurt anything.
Old 9/5/12, 11:23 AM
Cobra R Member

Lets get this to rest. A CAI on the fox is for pure looks, I have a MAC fender mount and will state all day long it is for pure looks..it offers no real gains period. The best dyno proven set up has been to remove the stock silencer, add a K&N drop in filter to the stock air box and be done. The silencer robbed about 5hp or so. Fact is a CAI gives about 3hp or so to the wheels and in most cases less on a stock set up, dyno proven it is on the net, look it up. Also like onebadvert stated tuning a OBD1 push rod motor w/o any big mods ( intake, head and cam) is not going to net any gains and is wasted cash. The newer cars respond to a cai/tunes the push rod fox does not, this car responds to pull up your sleeves/greasy hands mods...gears, heads, intakes, cams, etc. you can free up quick hp with the stock air box mod, bump the timing, better flowing exhaust and gears. then you are going to have to get into the motor, just a fact.

The oil filters aren't really an issue, the issue is most people over oil them after cleaning them. I have run K7N style filters for years w/o problems to my meters or engines. They do make dry high flow filters now though.
Old 9/5/12, 04:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by skunk21
Lets get this to rest. A CAI on the fox is for pure looks, I have a MAC fender mount and will state all day long it is for pure looks..it offers no real gains period. The best dyno proven set up has been to remove the stock silencer, add a K&N drop in filter to the stock air box and be done. The silencer robbed about 5hp or so. Fact is a CAI gives about 3hp or so to the wheels and in most cases less on a stock set up, dyno proven it is on the net, look it up. Also like onebadvert stated tuning a OBD1 push rod motor w/o any big mods ( intake, head and cam) is not going to net any gains and is wasted cash. The newer cars respond to a cai/tunes the push rod fox does not, this car responds to pull up your sleeves/greasy hands mods...gears, heads, intakes, cams, etc. you can free up quick hp with the stock air box mod, bump the timing, better flowing exhaust and gears. then you are going to have to get into the motor, just a fact.

The oil filters aren't really an issue, the issue is most people over oil them after cleaning them. I have run K7N style filters for years w/o problems to my meters or engines. They do make dry high flow filters now though.
well said skunk!