Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

clean early Fox on Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 5/6/05, 01:15 PM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does anyone think the outrageous prices for the 5.0 foxes are ruining the hobby?
Old 5/6/05, 01:15 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by svopaul
With that said I think the reason you got the reaction you did and your own car & tastes targeted was because of the WAY in which you shared your opinion. The way you did that was antagonistic in nature by your own wording....as if you were attacking those who liked something other than you with your disbelief in how ANYONE could like those....honestly I expected the exchange above to take place after I read your first post. In the future I would suggest offering your opinion as a difference of opinion rather than a poking/prodding opinion which comes off as though something is wrong with others if they disagree with your outlook.

and I don't think anyone here has gotten "ticked off" at anyone else. Everyone has opinions but it should be kept in mind that there is a way to express those opinions without degrading someone else.

A hot rodder is just that...no matter what make...but attitude displayed makes all the difference in the world

x 10 :chug:
Old 5/6/05, 02:22 PM
GT Member

I guess this is getting out of hand. Looking back at the post it looked as though i came in and bashed the early foxes. I didnt mean to come off that way, and if i did (which i did)..I'm sorry! I was just explaining reasons why they dont fit my taste when asked. AND im not mad at ANYONE for what they say about my car. I'm sure you all can come up with a million things to say about my car that you dont like! Heck, i dont like my red interior and rims (they came with the car when i bought them)....thats why i wrote a post a long time ago about 18" rims on a fox, but thats ok....i wish i had a million dollars to change everything, but being a student right now thats not possible. I shouldnt have said what i said in the manner i said it.....i try not to bash anyones car. I was sharing my opinion, and next time i wont do it in THAT manner. Hey, my forum is titled "91 mustang".....go there and share your true opinion!! Seriously guys, i like comments, good or bad. I like my car, but its not perfect! Theres still things i want to change too!!
Old 5/6/05, 02:45 PM
Service Manager

Received 431 Likes on 209 Posts
It's OK Chris....if we really wanted to get on you we would start bashing you for driving a Honda Civic
Old 5/6/05, 02:47 PM
Service Manager

Originally posted by Fordracing200@May 6, 2005, 1:18 PM
does anyone think the outrageous prices for the 5.0 foxes are ruining the hobby?

How do you figure they are "outrageous"???

$200,000 for a '69 Shelby is outrageous......$10,000 for a clean Fox is not
Old 5/6/05, 04:11 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by svopaul+May 6, 2005, 2:50 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(svopaul @ May 6, 2005, 2:50 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Fordracing200@May 6, 2005, 1:18 PM

[/b][/quote]
i second that notion! id say ****** up them ultra clean foxes and hang on to them. they might be the 200k shelbys down the road. i dont really like alot of the stuff the import crowd does. but hey, the amount of time and crafsmanship that go into some cars is outstanding. the main things i dont like are the huge tips, wings and overdone graphics.
Old 5/6/05, 07:23 PM
GT Member

Speaking of prices...how much would an 85 SVO be worth in great shape. I just saw one a few weeks back....they gotta be worth some chunk of change, since this year they are 20 years old!
Old 5/6/05, 10:48 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by winkcm95@May 6, 2005, 3:25 PM
I guess this is getting out of hand. Looking back at the post it looked as though i came in and bashed the early foxes. I didnt mean to come off that way, and if i did (which i did)..I'm sorry! I was just explaining reasons why they dont fit my taste when asked. AND im not mad at ANYONE for what they say about my car. I'm sure you all can come up with a million things to say about my car that you dont like! Heck, i dont like my red interior and rims (they came with the car when i bought them)....thats why i wrote a post a long time ago about 18" rims on a fox, but thats ok....i wish i had a million dollars to change everything, but being a student right now thats not possible. I shouldnt have said what i said in the manner i said it.....i try not to bash anyones car. I was sharing my opinion, and next time i wont do it in THAT manner. Hey, my forum is titled "91 mustang".....go there and share your true opinion!! Seriously guys, i like comments, good or bad. I like my car, but its not perfect! Theres still things i want to change too!!
i like your car except for the tails and cowl, it is a very nice automobile (didnt no i knew that word did ya?? )
Old 5/6/05, 10:50 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by conv_stang+May 6, 2005, 5:14 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(conv_stang @ May 6, 2005, 5:14 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by svopaul@May 6, 2005, 2:50 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Fordracing200
@May 6, 2005, 1:18 PM

i second that notion! id say ****** up them ultra clean foxes and hang on to them. they might be the 200k shelbys down the road. i dont really like alot of the stuff the import crowd does. but hey, the amount of time and crafsmanship that go into some cars is outstanding. the main things i dont like are the huge tips, wings and overdone graphics.
[/b][/quote]
the old shelbys are nice, but nothing i would buy, i want a reliable nice suddle street car (03 cobra, mach 1) anyways, 200k in 20 years for a clean lx is outrageous, i think the 10k dollar price tags are out of hand, why cant it still be the cheap fun fast hobby? the times when u can buy a pile of junk and end up with a 12 second car for 3500 dollars.
Old 5/7/05, 06:06 AM
Service Manager

Originally posted by winkcm95@May 6, 2005, 7:26 PM
Speaking of prices...how much would an 85 SVO be worth in great shape. I just saw one a few weeks back....they gotta be worth some chunk of change, since this year they are 20 years old!
They are not worth what they should be IMO....the market is and has been for a while a buyer market. Price depends on condition.....the cars haven't caught on as they should in the collector market yet so you can get very good buys on SVOs right now.
Old 5/7/05, 06:13 AM
Service Manager

Originally posted by Fordracing200+May 6, 2005, 10:53 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fordracing200 @ May 6, 2005, 10:53 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by conv_stang@May 6, 2005, 5:14 PM
Originally posted by svopaul@May 6, 2005, 2:50 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Fordracing200
@May 6, 2005, 1:18 PM

the old shelbys are nice, but nothing i would buy, i want a reliable nice suddle street car (03 cobra, mach 1) anyways, 200k in 20 years for a clean lx is outrageous, i think the 10k dollar price tags are out of hand, why cant it still be the cheap fun fast hobby? the times when u can buy a pile of junk and end up with a 12 second car for 3500 dollars.
[/b][/quote]

Just because you are young and can't afford much doesn't mean the hobby has gotten out of hand...it IS a cheap fun fast hobby. Considering a new Mustang is near $30K the foxes are STILL a bargain!

For example: http://forums.funfordevents.com/showthread.php?t=7508

A GT that runs 10's turn key for $8500?!? You couldn't build that same car for twice that money....tell me how THAT is "outrageous"?!?

You need to sit back and take in the scope of the hobby and you will see that you are mistaken....just because you can't afford something doesn't mean it is "outrageous".

Back in college(late 80's) I was offered a '69 GT500 convertible in pieces for $5,000.....I couldn't afford it, I couldn't borrow it....a year later a friend who bought it sold it for $20K without touching it....at the time a finished car was selling for around $50K....and a new LX 5.0 sold for $12,000....now look at them. Everything is proportional to the times....now a new GT is $28,000.

Go look at what you CAN buy for the same money as a used Fox.....Not much!
Old 5/7/05, 07:37 AM
GTR Member

jeez, i meant that the 6-12k dollar prices for used cars is too much. i dont mean anything about what i can afford. i am putting all my money towards FFW in may. i didnt mean the cars that are turn key 8 second for 30k. i meant the stock cars that people want 10k for. i guess this is a lost cause....
Old 5/7/05, 08:01 AM
Service Manager

Originally posted by Fordracing200@May 7, 2005, 7:40 AM
jeez, i meant that the 6-12k dollar prices for used cars is too much. i dont mean anything about what i can afford. i am putting all my money towards FFW in may. i didnt mean the cars that are turn key 8 second for 30k. i meant the stock cars that people want 10k for. i guess this is a lost cause....
It has everything to do with that you can afford....if you could afford it then you would not blink at 6-12K. Seriously....think about it....Sure there are some overpriced cars out there but I have seen cars like this:
-1993 Black 5.0 Coupe-MINT with less than 10,000 miles on it for $15,000.....Outrageous? Go find another like it....

-1989 GT White with red interior-MINT with less than 20,000 miles on it for $9,000.....Outrageous? Go find another like it....

-1991 5.0 Coupe...New paint, Bullitt wheels, Tremec, bolt-ons...clean car...asking $5,000......Outrageous? a good paint job starts at $3500....do the math on the rest of the car....not outrageous.

-1989 5.0 LX.....excellent interior, runs great, Dynomax Cat back, Pony wheels with new tires, 191,000 miles...well maintained and unmolested....$2500....Outrageous? No...find another as clean(this was one of my cars that sold immediately)

-1988 5.0 LX.....MINT condition with new custom leather interior, 302 with heads cam and Vortech supercharger, Art Carr AOD transmission, Built 8.8 with the best of everything, 13" Bullitt brakes and '95 Cobra R's....made 413HP/ 496 ft. lbs torque to the wheels at 10 degrees of timing....sold for $13,500(this was my car as well)....Outrageous? No, although I thought it was good money for the market you could not build the car for anywhere near twice that money....there was $10K alone in the drivetrain.....Oh yeah, the body had over 240K miles on it, but unless I told you...you would never know.

-1993 5.0 Coupe- MINT condition with nearly 100,000 miles...excellent paint, mint interior, 3.55 gears but otherwise stone stock. Local guy bought it for $6500....Outrageous? Have you priced clean coupes lately? he stole that car and it is immaculate!

My point is what are you going to buy for that kind of money? A used Honda? Go find an umolested or cleanly modified Fox Mustang....not such an easy task.

Put everything into perspective....a brand new Mustang is almost $30K.....a used one in nice shape for $6K is a bargain.

Like I said, there are people asking the world for junk but your statement makes it sound like EVERY Fox mustang out there is outrageous in price when in fact they are not
Old 5/7/05, 08:58 AM
GT Member

Speaking of SVO's.....does anyplace sell the two-tier spoiler? Its not a half bad piece, and im sure theres a market for it.
Old 5/7/05, 09:15 AM
Service Manager

Originally posted by winkcm95@May 7, 2005, 9:01 AM
Speaking of SVO's.....does anyplace sell the two-tier spoiler? Its not a half bad piece, and im sure theres a market for it.
Only used, nobody makes a reproduction. Generally the SVO community frowns on using original parts on a non-SVO but they can be found(ie: I think I have 12 sets). Most will have to have repair work done to the upper wing, there is a guy in MD(friend of mine) who rebuilds the upper wings.
Old 5/7/05, 04:59 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by svopaul+May 7, 2005, 9:04 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(svopaul @ May 7, 2005, 9:04 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Fordracing200@May 7, 2005, 7:40 AM
It has everything to do with that you can afford....if you could afford it then you would not blink at 6-12K. Seriously....think about it....Sure there are some overpriced cars out there but I have seen cars like this:
-1993 Black 5.0 Coupe-MINT with less than 10,000 miles on it for $15,000.....Outrageous? Go find another like it....

-1989 GT White with red interior-MINT with less than 20,000 miles on it for $9,000.....Outrageous? Go find another like it....

-1991 5.0 Coupe...New paint, Bullitt wheels, Tremec, bolt-ons...clean car...asking $5,000......Outrageous? a good paint job starts at $3500....do the math on the rest of the car....not outrageous.

-1989 5.0 LX.....excellent interior, runs great, Dynomax Cat back, Pony wheels with new tires, 191,000 miles...well maintained and unmolested....$2500....Outrageous? No...find another as clean(this was one of my cars that sold immediately)

-1988 5.0 LX.....MINT condition with new custom leather interior, 302 with heads cam and Vortech supercharger, Art Carr AOD transmission, Built 8.8 with the best of everything, 13" Bullitt brakes and '95 Cobra R's....made 413HP/ 496 ft. lbs torque to the wheels at 10 degrees of timing....sold for $13,500(this was my car as well)....Outrageous? No, although I thought it was good money for the market you could not build the car for anywhere near twice that money....there was $10K alone in the drivetrain.....Oh yeah, the body had over 240K miles on it, but unless I told you...you would never know.

-1993 5.0 Coupe- MINT condition with nearly 100,000 miles...excellent paint, mint interior, 3.55 gears but otherwise stone stock. Local guy bought it for $6500....Outrageous? Have you priced clean coupes lately? he stole that car and it is immaculate!

My point is what are you going to buy for that kind of money? A used Honda? Go find an umolested or cleanly modified Fox Mustang....not such an easy task.

Put everything into perspective....a brand new Mustang is almost $30K.....a used one in nice shape for $6K is a bargain.

Like I said, there are people asking the world for junk but your statement makes it sound like EVERY Fox mustang out there is outrageous in price when in fact they are not
[/b][/quote]
not every fox, the ones u listed are worth it, but still, my uncle a few months back got a 91 notch (year may not be 91 exactly,but it was 87-93) for 700 dollars and it had aftermarket wheels, hurst shifter, close ratio power steering rack, etc. had a 5.0 5 speed, i no it was a steal, but most people where i am only want 2-3k for foxes, example their was a vortech 89 GT with a 5 speed and TFS ported heads, all primed, mint needs paint (started paint never finished) for 3300obo. their is a mint all original 33k mile red 86 GT 5 speed here for 3500obo also.
Old 5/8/05, 12:25 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
personaly fox prices arent anywhere NEAR outrageous. there nicely done foxes for $2-5000. stock ones run a little bit less. foxes are some of the most, if the THE MOST, affordable stangs out there. im loving it!

and if i wasnt dead set on buying and modifying an older 60s or 70s mustang, id ****** up a fox like that faster than you can... well you know the deal.

prices are the last thing ruining the fox hobby. i'd say the owners who put on un tastful mods, like rice rims, euro lights, and sound systems made for SUVs (not directed at anyone on the site, i've seen WAAAAY worse. there arent really any cars on tms that i no like lol) are the ones ruing the hobby. leaves less good catrs for me :P

cyz. hope i didnt offend anyone. that happens sometimes lol
Old 5/8/05, 12:48 PM
GT Member

I'm seeing that early All stock foxes (4s and 6s) are giveaways.

79 pace cars with no miles are 10-15k and worth it.

Mid 80s GTs with low miles are about 7500-10k

the 85 GT mentioned above (if it has no rust, unfaded paint, and a clean interior) with 33k miles for 3300 would easily sell around here for 8k in days, infact I know a guy who would buy it.

the 91-93 LXs with low miles and all stock are as much as or more than the low low mile modified ones. From 12-15k, and if I had the money, I'd pay it in a heartbeat. Granted I am sure it won't be the 69 Shelby GT500 in 30 years, it will be the 70 chevelle SS of today (fetching 25k to 50k for originals in good condition). Because they are very very rare in untouched all stock low mile condition.

I don't have the money to fix my brakes, but I think 12k for a new condition 92 LX 5.0 is an awesome deal. Granted it has about the power as a new V6, but if that is what you want, it is a bargain.

Also, they are easy to work on, and parts for them (even original parts) are easily available.

I think they are a great deal, and have already said what my perfect daily driver would be.
Old 5/8/05, 12:51 PM
GT Member

By the way, 6 hours left on the auction that I started this thread about, anyone wanna loan me 2k?
Old 5/8/05, 06:19 PM
GTR Member

i will loan you 40 bucks?

Quick Reply: clean early Fox on Ebay