Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

cats for inspection

Search this Thread

Old 12/5/05, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just bought a 90 5.0 5 spd. my dream car is finally mine. the guy who had it before put on off road x-pipes and i cant get it inspected without cats. does anyone know where i can get some cheap used ones or something to get it through inspection. ill be taking them back off so i dont want to whaste too much money on this. appreciate the help.
also, the clutch in it is extremly hard, is there anyway to adjust it?
sorry, dont know much about mustangs, i have a 04 dakota :bang: 4.7 that costs a arm and a leg to mod out with little improvment, so i decided to get my dream car with a real motor that hauls.
Old 12/5/05, 11:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by shadow00769@December 5, 2005, 11:31 PM
i just bought a 90 5.0 5 spd. my dream car is finally mine. the guy who had it before put on off road x-pipes and i cant get it inspected without cats. does anyone know where i can get some cheap used ones or something to get it through inspection. ill be taking them back off so i dont want to whaste too much money on this. appreciate the help.
also, the clutch in it is extremly hard, is there anyway to adjust it?
sorry, dont know much about mustangs, i have a 04 dakota :bang: 4.7 that costs a arm and a leg to mod out with little improvment, so i decided to get my dream car with a real motor that hauls.
Check www.corral.net or ebay for a used stock h pipe. They can be found very cheap, and ahve the cats in them. If you have enver driven a car with a cable clutch before that might be the reason you think it is very hard to push. Car with hydraulic clutches have a much lighter feel to the cltuch pedal. As well as the person who owned it before may have put a more firm clutch in. Just by saying that it is "hard to push" I cant really say anything more than that mustang clutches are normally very stiff comapred to alot of others. Now as far as if yours is more stiff than normal, I couldnt say without driving the car.
Old 12/5/05, 11:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

If it is the stock clutch cable try lifting the clutch pedal up towards you... the self adjusting mechanisim might make the pedal a little softer.
Old 12/7/05, 01:11 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

or find someone that will pass your car w/o cats. though thats breaking the law :cop2: if the car has alot of miles on it the owner might have added and aftermarket clutch. and some of them can be a bear to push in. you'll get used to it the more you drive it.
Old 12/8/05, 06:05 PM

thnx for the info guys, yea its a aftermarket clutch and im getting use to it now.found oem 4 cat h-pipe for inspection, cost 300 new. if anybody else on here needs it ill be selling it after inspection cause x-pipe is going back on.