Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Air Conditioning Removal

Search this Thread

Old 9/15/04, 02:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 91LX I just bought still has the factory air conditioning and it is working but not that well. I am considering taking it out to get some more power out of the 5.0. Any one done this or have any suggestions as to whether I should or not?
Old 9/15/04, 07:21 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Couple of things (and others may have better information):

1. Will the A/C hold a charge? If it does you may want to get it re-charged unless you are deadset on removing the A/C. (I know R12 is much more expensive than R134.)
2. If it doesn't hold a charge than it will be somewhat expensive to retrofit to R134.
3. I have never removed an A/C unit, but articles I have read seem to indicate that it isn't too difficult.
4. If you do remove the A/C unit remember the heater core will still be in the same location . . behind the glove box and a pain in the rear to replace. (Unless you switch to a non A/C heater core . . not sure of logistics involved.)

Not sure if any of this helps.
Old 9/15/04, 07:48 PM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Shouldn't be a big deal to remove, just make sure the system is empty, and disconnect the lines, and get a new belt.

Jasom does the H.C. have to be replaced? I never did this, so I'm not sure.
Old 9/15/04, 07:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

True. I hadn't really thought about the heater core. I was just thinking if it was easy to take out I might as well do it. The car is not going to be a daily driver and I am going to try and get as much power out of it as I can so I was more leaning towards just taking it out so there is less draw on the engine rather than put the time and effort into getting it to work better.
Old 9/15/04, 07:54 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally posted by mr-mstng@September 15, 2004, 7:51 PM
Shouldn't be a big deal to remove, just make sure the system is empty, and disconnect the lines, and get a new belt.

Jasom does the H.C. have to be replaced? I never did this, so I'm not sure.
I don't think so (I too have never performed the procedure . . I'm trying to remember from magazine articles/other who have).

I was just trying to identify that should the heater core need replacing it will still be a pain, since it is an A/C heater core. And if one plans to never have A/C again it might be worth looking into.
Old 10/5/04, 10:49 AM

I have removed the AC from my last mustang. (93LX hatch 351W) The removal was not hard at all. I on the other hand did not need the heater core. I dont think it matters on the heater core as long as you do not damage the fittings coming out of your firewall. I have seen it done before and replacing the heater core is a huge pain. do you plan to run a AC eliminator bracket. If not then you need to look at how to tighten your belt, when you remove your AC the spand between the ALT and the PS pump is very long. I fixed it with making a swing arm to use the ALT as the belt tightener. Like in your older cars. This worked for me. hope this helps...