Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Advice on restoring my 93

Search this Thread

Old 5/24/05, 11:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok this project is a long way off but I would like to start gathering info regarding this. I have the 93 LTD Edition 5.0 LX Vert and I want to restore it as close to factory as possible. When I say this, I mean inspecting every component and replacing or upgrading said part if the factory part is not available.

Some of the major things that I want to do are:

Tranny inspection but most likely replacement (on a ford? never )
Replace any internal part of the engine that needs to be or if they still sell factory 5.0's, get a new one but I don't think they do this
Complete rewiring of electrical system
upgrade the suspension to give it a stiff yet a little more comfortable ride
New factory canary yellow paint job
Completely replace the interior carpet and reupholster the seats

To do this sort of job, would you guys recommend a shop that possibly specializes in mustang restoration?

Would it be more satisfying to learn what's needed to do the job myself?

If I did choose a restoration shop, how much trust could I put into the people to make sure they don't replace something that really isn't needed replacing?

Thanks for any suggestions

Edit: Here are some pics of her. You can definitely see she's in need of some lovin. I guess that's what happens when she's a daily driver. Only problems after 113K miles are some faulty wiring to the radio, alternator replacement, and then the electric window components

http://www.stangfriik.com/stang1.jpg
http://www.stangfriik.com/stang2.jpg
http://www.stangfriik.com/stang3.jpg
http://www.stangfriik.com/stang4.jpg
Old 5/25/05, 12:09 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

yeah shes in need of some work. but mine is too for resto parts i would check www.50resto.com. they have some really hard to find parts. if you can do the work i would. but if not i would pay someone. especially for the engine rebuild, and paint stuff like that. most everyting else if you can take it apart and put it back together you'll be fine
Old 5/25/05, 05:38 PM
GT Member

she may need a little work but that is a really nice car to start with. it will be sharp when you are done. I have always been partial to the foxes (miss my old 88 something terrible) My father has one of those 93 feature cars, the white one, with around 8000 miles on it, looks just like new.
There is a registry for the feature cars ran by a guy named terry mccoy. he could probably help with any hard to find parts. He is very knowledgable and enthusiastic about these cars. Here is a listing I found for him for him online:

(616)463-8325 (call between 7pm-10pm EST)
Terry McCoy
4311 John Goff Rd.
Waterliet, MI 49098
Old 5/26/05, 08:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by aaron95stang@May 25, 2005, 7:41 PM
she may need a little work but that is a really nice car to start with. it will be sharp when you are done. I have always been partial to the foxes (miss my old 88 something terrible) My father has one of those 93 feature cars, the white one, with around 8000 miles on it, looks just like new.
There is a registry for the feature cars ran by a guy named terry mccoy. he could probably help with any hard to find parts. He is very knowledgable and enthusiastic about these cars. Here is a listing I found for him for him online:

(616)463-8325 (call between 7pm-10pm EST)
Terry McCoy
4311 John Goff Rd.
Waterliet, MI 49098

Awesome. Thanks for the info guys!

Even though it's technically my wifes car, I love it more than she as she's willing to sell it when the time comes to get another car. I, on the otherhand, would put it in storage until we have a house that either has an extra garage or a totally separate garage/workspace.
Old 5/26/05, 08:41 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by conv_stang@May 25, 2005, 2:12 PM
yeah shes in need of some work. but mine is too for resto parts i would check www.50resto.com. they have some really hard to find parts. if you can do the work i would. but if not i would pay someone. especially for the engine rebuild, and paint stuff like that. most everyting else if you can take it apart and put it back together you'll be fine
I agree, 50resto is a great place to start. You're car definetly needs some resto but Aaron said she looks like she is a great place to start. I think you should have relativley easy process, maybe a little time consuming but the body looks great and so does the engine. The interior looks like its going to be the main part. Good luck and post pics throughout the process!