1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

View the restoration of a 68 vert.

Search this Thread

Old 2/24/06, 05:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Guys, I took my 68 vert into CKautollc in Twinsburg, Ohio on the first of January for a TOTAL restoration. From all outward appearances, the stang was in very nice shape but after tearing it down, well, the problems arose. One thing it showed me was that unless you see pictures and really know how a car was restored, don't buy it. There are a lot of cheats out there trying to make a fast buck, especially with what these things are bringing now adays. I sort of inherited this one so it didn't really cost me anything but the original owner got the big pink one.... Anyway, you will see the stang in all stages of the process. It's currently had all parts ordered and they should be starting the sheetmetal next week so it is a work to watch and will give people some ideas of what to expect and costs involved. So with not further fuss, check it out. Just click on the projects page and check out the mustang (lots of others too look at as well).

http://www.ckautollc.com
Old 2/24/06, 10:07 PM
Number Cruncher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the link.
Gonna be fun watching this. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Looks like you're gonna have a real jewel when you're done.
Old 2/25/06, 02:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

It should get real interesting because the owners of the restoration group just bought another mustang (I think it's a 65 or 66) that they will be restoring at about the same time....It's had it's frame sent off to be blasted and etched so it will be fun to see both of them come back to life together. The funny thing is that they will both be candy apple red with red interior. Mine was originally white but it just doesn't grab me the way the red does and as I want it to at least be a color from 68, red was the best one that I could come up with (and keeping the original red interior)...
Old 3/1/06, 07:16 PM
Number Cruncher

Back in the day, a friend of mine had a red '68 fastback.
He did the interior in black and red two-tone.
Kinda like the inverse of the '05 ICAP.
Looked pretty cool. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
Old 3/9/06, 08:17 AM
Team Mustang Source

I'm thinking of doing this with my '67., but afraid of what ill find...e-mail me ..,i'd like to know what you think your total project will cost?

Mine looks good on outside,but still very afraid of what ill find after stripping. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eek.gif[/img] ..Thanks ,John
Old 3/9/06, 09:22 AM
GT Member

Gee, it looked pretty nice in the first pictures, but actually it has a serious rust problem !

Good luck with the project.

Geoffrey
Old 11/30/06, 01:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well it's been 11 months since the restoration and they have the body in poly, next step is to wetsand....The majority of suspension parts are on and rebuilt and are really looking good. Seats are recovered in red and look great....It should be in paint by the end of the year. Since I am in Ohio, they know that they can slow down since I don't want it back till spring. This also gives us time to find some hard to find parts....Looking to get a GT wiring harness as I want to add a tach and this isn't easy. If anybody has one, let me know.

http://ckautollc.photosite.com/68Mustang/
Old 11/30/06, 01:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Here is a link to a great restoration project of a 67 vert. It's real easy to follow and I know what the guy went through. The total cost of this project (per the project manager) was about 48 G's.... I have more than that invested in mine now and it's not even done. I did decide to basically clone a 68 GT so now I have gone from an auto to a 4 speed and went from a 302 2bbl to a 4bbl (still all stock from 68 parts). I figure I should do what I would have bought back in those days if I was able. (though I would have bought a fast back).... The builder of this car is in Canada and is more than happy to answer emails about the project.

http://www.ve3sy.com/pony/index.htm
Old 12/21/06, 06:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Great Site ...thanks Harleybill...i'm in the process of restoring 71' vert 351...still have my 67'390 lying in wait