1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Is it time to bring a Fastback back into my life?

Search this Thread

Old 10/18/09, 09:20 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it time to bring a Fastback back into my life?

So I've really been debating trying to get my hands on another fastback ever since I sold my first one (and first car period) a few years ago. However, my ideal fastback would be a restomod thats not outrageously priced. Something I could drive everyday if I wanted to. I've really been intrigued by the Dynacorn reproduction shells, but the "no VIN" thing makes it a no no. Well the other day I was browsing ebay for fastbacks and came across the listing below. I've heard of coupe to fastback conversion before but none have sparked my interest more than this company. I'm wanting to see what you guys think here. Starting from square one with a fresh roller would really help me budget the project as well as do a lot of the work myself. Has anyone had any experience with this company? Everything I read about them looks good, but you never really know. They do claim to have done over 100 of these conversions. I completely respect the history of these stangs and maybe its because I'm young, but I think this is just a great idea. Making a fastback available for this cheap. I always wanted to modernize my other fastback but just couldn't bring myself to chopping up an original like that. I was caught up in the Eleanor craze and even ordered the kit, but I couldn't bring myself to put it on. I still love the Eleanor replicas but would make mine my own style. Feel free to chime in with any input about this idea or this company.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-...#ht_4242wt_777

The way I see it, I've been looking at trading in my 06 for a 2010, why not just build my dream 67...

Last edited by WuTimeUT; 10/18/09 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10/18/09, 09:33 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That is a good price compared to the Dynacorn shells.
Old 10/19/09, 08:07 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
yeah... if you are looking for a cheaper dynacorn alternative with a vin.. this is your ticket... but... its not an original fastback?
Old 10/19/09, 08:14 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've heard of them. Here's their web site.

http://www.desertclassicmustangs.com/home.html
Old 10/19/09, 05:04 PM
Cobra Member

Ya I've checked out there website. It really looks as though they do good work. And I wouldn't have to worry about VIN numbers. I dont care about having an original fastback or real fastback. I see it somewhat like the Cobra kit cars, just with a mustang. And these are "real" mustangs, they're just not real fastbacks. IDK I'm still thinking. I also don't really know how to budget something like this where everything must be purchased.
Old 10/19/09, 05:10 PM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

Originally Posted by WuTimeUT
Ya I've checked out there website. It really looks as though they do good work. And I wouldn't have to worry about VIN numbers. I dont care about having an original fastback or real fastback. I see it somewhat like the Cobra kit cars, just with a mustang. And these are "real" mustangs, they're just not real fastbacks. IDK I'm still thinking. I also don't really know how to budget something like this where everything must be purchased.
Sit down, write out everything you want. Come up with a price and then double it. That will be your budget.

As far as the "real fastback" argument, if it's what he wants and most importantly (for him) economical, go hog wild. I'm with you in the fact that I wouldn't tear up a nice/decent original. I'd rather build a repro with nothing in the back of my mind stopping me.
Old 10/19/09, 06:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He WuTime,

I looked at this company before pulling the trigger on the 68 fastback I just purchased. I would absolutely go with them before going the Dynacorn route.......I really would. Here was the deciding factor for me. I wanted something I could drive for a little while before I started tearing it apart. It already has a motor, drive train, wheels, tires, suspension, interior, emblems, bumpers, fenders, hood, etc........... These things add up. If you buy the shell and then start piecing it together, you will most likely spend half again as much as if you buy an existing "complete" car. At least if you buy a complete car, you would have some spare parts to sell when you started resto modding it.

You obviously have to do what works best for you, but this is just my opinion, having just gone through this myself. I want to make a restomod Bullitt with my car. I want it to look like an original 68 from the outside, but when you look under the car you will see a modern suspension. I also want to rebuild the 289 that is currently in it (make a 302 out of it) and get an efi kit for it.

Good luck in whatever you do. I truely think the converted coupe to fastback is a good idea, but in my situation it would have cost me a lot more in the long run.
Old 10/20/09, 04:24 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by OKLACOP
He WuTime,

I looked at this company before pulling the trigger on the 68 fastback I just purchased. I would absolutely go with them before going the Dynacorn route.......I really would. Here was the deciding factor for me. I wanted something I could drive for a little while before I started tearing it apart. It already has a motor, drive train, wheels, tires, suspension, interior, emblems, bumpers, fenders, hood, etc........... These things add up. If you buy the shell and then start piecing it together, you will most likely spend half again as much as if you buy an existing "complete" car. At least if you buy a complete car, you would have some spare parts to sell when you started resto modding it.

You obviously have to do what works best for you, but this is just my opinion, having just gone through this myself. I want to make a restomod Bullitt with my car. I want it to look like an original 68 from the outside, but when you look under the car you will see a modern suspension. I also want to rebuild the 289 that is currently in it (make a 302 out of it) and get an efi kit for it.

Good luck in whatever you do. I truely think the converted coupe to fastback is a good idea, but in my situation it would have cost me a lot more in the long run.
Very good point. And I have thought of this... one big drawback to the shell purchase is you can't drive and enjoy it until its complete. However, even if a complete car was purchased, at some point I would have to set her in the garage and start ripping it apart. I don't know, I'll have to really think about this hard.

As far as the budget goes, I think the "doubling act" is a good ballpark figure. Starting from a shell there are SOOO many things to think about. I'll get on a parts list and see where it takes me.

Thanks for all the input guys! theres nothing like hearing what people who have experienced it think.
Old 10/20/09, 04:34 PM
Cobra Member

Anybody happen to have or know of where to find a complete parts list for a 67 fastback build? That would be nice...
Old 10/20/09, 06:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

I would contact NPD or Laurel Mountain Mustangs. I would start with them anyway. There's also Virginia Mustang.
Old 10/21/09, 08:42 AM
Team Mustang Source

I think your choice should be made on the fact of what you want.

(option 1)buy an original... i bought a (original )67' to make into a shelby clone. i did what i could to make sure that i bought a rust free car to start. YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOUR GOING TO GET. it took more money and alot of time to bring this car back to the quality level of a dynacorn body...(use this as your starting point)...from this point i wanted modern under the skin, 67' look on the outside... i did sell parts off the car that were not going to be used...but still in my case it would have been cheaper to just buy the dynacorn body

(option 2)buy the dynacorn body...have a good solid ,totally rust free point to start from...build it just the way you want! This is the way to go if your going to use all NEW parts!

oh and about the double your budget......count on it!
Old 10/21/09, 09:29 AM

I'll be honest I bought my 69 Fastback/Sportroof to drive while I restomod it. Again the most important thing to keep in mind is having someone you trust inspect the car. At the very least find one with the least amount of rust.

If you go with the shell and buy all new parts that's great but I'd suggest buying a shell and getting a used SN95 or S197 mustang and use the drivetrain from it. I know my loan company (did not have the cash to buy it out right) on my 69 required me to pay to have their inspector look at the car. I very highly recommend getting your own inspector or someone that you can trust and knows alot about these cars.

As it is now my car is sitting in line somewhere behind John's 67 on getting things fixed that the "glowing inspection report" said was new or there.

I just wanted something I could drive while I did my restomodding. Oh and John's right on the budget. Maybe double it and then add a little more to it for the "unexpected".
Old 10/21/09, 12:58 PM

Yeah, these cars can turn into a real money pit! It's like buying an old house that's a "fixer" lol

I could have gone down and bought a brand new '10 Mustang with the money I've spent on mine.
Old 10/26/09, 07:05 AM

Yeah but not that many 65 mustangs on the road that look as good as your car does Falchion. A 2010 looks great but there is definitely more of them on the road every day.
Old 10/26/09, 07:58 AM

Well, that is true. I've started seeing a lot of them on the road.....

Originally Posted by Eviltwin
Yeah but not that many 65 mustangs on the road that look as good as your car does Falchion. A 2010 looks great but there is definitely more of them on the road every day.
Old 10/27/09, 12:02 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Eviltwin
Exactly

Even every time I see a 2010 I love them just a little more