1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Restoring a '69 Boss 429

Search this Thread

Old 5/9/06, 09:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restoring a '69 Boss 429

Don't know if anyone's tried this before, but I was wondering how much it would cost to buy a shell of the biggest and baddest mustang EVER (imo)... What'd I'd do, is buy a wrecked/rusted/whatever body and completely strip it down... Then I'd buy the engine/tranny and go from there...

I was wondering how much everything would cost in the end, and would it be worth it to build it myself or just find someone selling one and buy it then restore it to factory/race standards. Granted, this probably won't happen for another 2-5 years, but I want to get all the info I can now before I even start thinking about doing it.

Of all the mustangs I've dreamed of, looked at, driven, seen, saw wrecked, the 69 boss models have been my favorite since I've started loving cars... (yes, I like it even better than the '67 GT500, looks a WHOLE lot better IMO)

Thanks for any insight.
Old 5/10/06, 07:58 AM
Bullitt Member

I am not sure there is a price you can put on that.
First you have to find the shell, and the BOSS parts are super $$$$$ for anything, especially in the engine. You would be way better off building a clone
Old 5/10/06, 09:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

I know what Dragon is talking about, I've mulled over trying to buy a Boss 302 myself....just because I would think a Boss 429 would just be totally outrageous cost wise, not that the 302 would be much better....

The only problem I really came up with when trying to clone a car like that is...well, YOU'LL know it's a clone, even if the average joe on the street doesn't know.

But hey, that's just me.

I've seen some pretty cool looking clones out there though, some very, very nice work! I guess it just comes down to if you'd be ok driving a clone or not. Really, if you drop a new crate engine in her and rebuild it to stock, I wouldn't think you could really tell the difference driving her. Plus, it would give you the opportunity to take advantage of new technology, like spankin new stainless steel 4 wheel power disc breaks and such.
Old 5/10/06, 09:46 AM
V6 Member

There are some that come up for sale,but I haven't seen any shells.Low end is about $180,000.00 and some have gone over $350,000.00
Attached Thumbnails Restoring a '69 Boss 429-21666carlisle429_jpg.jpg   Restoring a '69 Boss 429-teter03-r1-005-1.jpg  
Old 5/10/06, 10:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well, that rules out buying one and fixing it up... I looks at cars.com and ebay and both had boss's (neither were 429's) going for $50K without the engine and tranny.

I looked up a new aged 429ci engine that retails for 15k that puts out 400hp and 450tq, then one that's 25k that puts out 500hp and close to 600tq. cost wise, I'd rather get the old engine and restore it, but locigal and fun and whatever else... wise... I'd love to have that 500hp engine in her.

I talked to a few local shops and told that what I'm planning on and one said they'd sponser me and pay for 1/2 all the parts, another said they'd do free labor but i'd have to buy the parts, another said they don't sponser older mustangs b/c of insurance purposes (load of ). Since I want to do ALL the work myself, with alittle help, I'd rather someone pay for 1/2 or all the parts. But, then, it wouldn't be a replica or a clone per say, it'd be a based on a boss 429. The shell would be from a boss 429, but with a custom paint job and powertrain setup. I'd eventually want it to be my show car, and every now and again, race it at the drag-strip. I would drive it around town, ya know, to show off...

A friend of mine would come over and help me with the work once I start the building process. I'd just rent the equipment to do the painting that way I'd save me money on that end, and I'd just buy the kind of stripes I'd want (if any)

I think too much about things that won't happen for another few years...
Old 5/10/06, 11:29 AM
Bullitt Member

I struggled with doing something similar and if only I could go back in time and ..... Okay now that I am awake ... what is the deal with being sponsored? Would the car be still yours 100%, would they want their logos on there? Nothing is free in this world, espcially since labor charges seem to average now 100 dollars an hour.

When you mention "shell" you are talking about an existing car right?

What about these vendors that are producing whole new bodies? I know only a few models ( years ) are available ( like a 69 camaro that I know of ) but more are supposedly being designed.

I hope you can build it because I would love to see it.
Old 5/10/06, 12:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by exarkun

What about these vendors that are producing whole new bodies? I know only a few models ( years ) are available ( like a 69 camaro that I know of ) but more are supposedly being designed.
I saw that company too....http://www.biscaysclassic.com/index.html....they are only planning to do a 67 Mustang body shell right now, supposed to be available this summer....it's about half way down the page. And you know what that means...more Eleanors!
Old 5/10/06, 01:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the link; I am searching through it now but I cannot find any of the complete bodies? Where do I look?

eeeeeeeee

edit -- wait ... I found it ... duh right on the home page for $14K
Old 5/10/06, 01:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

The car would be mine, just the companies logo would be either on the back window or the front windshield.

Originally Posted by PaulF
I saw that company too....http://www.biscaysclassic.com/index.html....they are only planning to do a 67 Mustang body shell right now, supposed to be available this summer....it's about half way down the page. And you know what that means...more Eleanors!
If they made a 69 or 70 fastback, i'd get it.

Oh, and by 'shell' I mean just the frame and body, nother else... No steering wheel, engine, tranny, seats, clutch, etc...
Old 5/10/06, 01:30 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you'd still pay big bucks for an authentic Boss 429 shell.

You're better off just finding a clean 69 or 70 Fastback shell and building the car up from there. A regular 429 motor can fit in the stock engine bay. I remember reading about being able to buy shock tower stiffening bits like the Boss 302 a few years ago. I don't know if there is a smiliar kit to modify the shock towers boss-429 style.

In either case, I believe that your're best bet financially and practically is to build a clone.
Old 5/10/06, 01:41 PM
Bullitt Member

100% agreed ... thats the route I decided to take .. in a way its "punting" but when its done and you turn the key .... it will be a blast.

I did buy a Boss 429 Hood Scoop ( the fiberglass one from Las Vegas Mustang ) and since I have a steel hood ( and talking to a few people ) they say to go ahead and mount it on the steel hood since mine is in good condition. I will have to drill holes though but thats okay since my hood has a undershell which will hide it. It will draw in air but it does not have the original 429 adjustable vent .. thats okay for me.

I am still years from installing it though ( money issue ) and at the moment I am buying parts to hold them.
Old 5/10/06, 08:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Today at work I was looking for shells and ya know, I might just find a beaten down '69 fastback for about $1-2K, strip it down and redo everything. I'm not dead set on having a Boss clone or original Boss, I just want the 429 engine and tranny, the rest I can customize to MY liking. What others say about it, I care less. As long as I'm happy with my 'creation,' at the end of the day I can still go to bed playing with mysel... I mean happy...

We'd all love to be able to afford an original boss 429, but like others have said, not all of us are millionaires. There's a guy locally selling a 65 for 10k, fully restored, and the add says it has a 351 engine in it. I wouldn't buy it's way overpriced for not being stock.

Anyway, just having a boss based '69 creation would probably save me about 10k, give or take, and in the end I'll still be just as happy.
Old 5/10/06, 09:20 PM
Bullitt Member

I've wanted to do that for years myself - just build up a 69 clone with a standard 429 engine. I've actually got the engine - '70 429 Thunderjet with 4V intake/heads and a C6, but haven't had the time or money to buy the rolling chassis... I'd have to sell my 66 just to have room in the garage to start the work...

Kinda hard to justify that step...
Old 5/10/06, 10:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by DrunkenDragon713
If they made a 69 or 70 fastback, i'd get it.
You'd be in line behind me, my friend! lol

Hey, if you can find a '69-'70 shell for $1-2k, I might be interested in something like that...

BTW, there was a '69 Mach 1 rolling body on Ebay the other day....I didn't see it there this evening though....but the important part is that all of the metal work was already completed....new floor pans, chair rails, quarter panels, shock towers, etc....The last time I saw, it was going for almost $9k....It was more than just the shell that you are talking about though...no engine or tranny, but everything else was there....
Old 5/11/06, 08:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Since I'll probably get the entire thing custom made, (whatever I don't build myself) buying something other than a shell would be a waste of money. All I'd do would be take everything out then sell it. I want to put together EVERY part of the car myself. It will me MY baby, completely made MY way. If something goes wrong, I know that I did it and not someone else.

Anyway, I don't know why I just ranted about that...

I found a rusty '69 fastback for sale for $500, but there's a hole in the roof and the frame is bent... not sure I even want to try to fix the frame... eh!
Old 5/11/06, 11:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Its a nightmare; I searched for three years before I found the green machine.