1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 6/16/10, 08:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radiator

So I am going to be buying a new radiator to replace the stock 2 core. I was looking at this radiator:

http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/pr...at=2153&page=1

I think it should be more than enough for the stock 289? Price seems fair and it's close to me so I can just walk in and pick it up. I think a 4core would just be way over kill. Am I making the right choice?

Thanks

Brian
Old 6/17/10, 10:48 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I've never had and cooling issues in my car with the stock radiator.... couldnt help you.. but it looks cool!
Old 6/17/10, 12:02 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good! That's about what I have in mine.

Are you having cooling issues with your car?

I think I may have just solved mine after almost a year!

Originally Posted by HEADACHEZ
So I am going to be buying a new radiator to replace the stock 2 core. I was looking at this radiator:

http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/pr...at=2153&page=1

I think it should be more than enough for the stock 289? Price seems fair and it's close to me so I can just walk in and pick it up. I think a 4core would just be way over kill. Am I making the right choice?

Thanks

Brian
Old 6/17/10, 08:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Falchion
Looks good! That's about what I have in mine.

Are you having cooling issues with your car?

I think I may have just solved mine after almost a year!
Yeah car is spitting coolant out the down tube. Everything has been replaced except the radiator, so I'm going to swap it out and put a 160 degree thermostat and maybe some redline wetter water just for overkill.

Congrats on solving your cooling issue, what was it?
Old 6/18/10, 08:06 AM

It turned out to be the AC condenser which was blocking air flow thru the radiator. I had a under dash from Classic Air installed about a year ago and it's been really hot ever since. It never did boil over on me, but the temp would get up to 240 degrees some times.

I had them change out the condenser from Classic Air for one from Old Air which is designed to allow more air flow to the radiator, which is important on a 65 radiator since it's so small.

Here's the link to the one that I changed over to.....

http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalo...oducts_id=5050

Yeah car is spitting coolant out the down tube. Everything has been replaced except the radiator, so I'm going to swap it out and put a 160 degree thermostat and maybe some redline wetter water just for overkill.

Congrats on solving your cooling issue, what was it?
Old 6/18/10, 11:50 AM
Bullitt Member

So I went with CJ pony parts instead. Mustangs Plus is only like 20 minutes from my house but this deal was a better buy for me and worth the wait, plus shipping is free and no tax!

http://www.cjponyparts.com/3-row-rad...7-289/p/RADK3/
Old 6/18/10, 07:19 PM

I like how they make a kit of it....

Seems like a good deal.

Got mine back today. Better then it was, but with traffic it was still a hot ride home!

So I went with CJ pony parts instead. Mustangs Plus is only like 20 minutes from my house but this deal was a better buy for me and worth the wait, plus shipping is free and no tax!

http://www.cjponyparts.com/3-row-rad...7-289/p/RADK3/
Old 6/18/10, 10:33 PM
Bullitt Member

I like how they make a kit of it....

Seems like a good deal.

Got mine back today. Better then it was, but with traffic it was still a hot ride home!

Yeah it just seemed like a much better deal considering that the kit supplies the hoses, etc.. So did you just get the new old air installed? Traffic
Old 6/19/10, 06:57 AM

Yeah, I got the condenser installed and it seemed to help, but I got into some really bad traffic. It was bad no matter which way I went. I guess Friday afternoon at 5:00 PM on a Friday isn't the best time to pick up my car.

Yeah it just seemed like a much better deal considering that the kit supplies the hoses, etc.. So did you just get the new old air installed? Traffic
Old 6/25/10, 06:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok so the radiator has finally arrived and I am preparing to put it in. So here are the pics of the original radiator out of the car and the engine bay. Also on a side note can anyone chime in if that's a clutch fan in the picture?
Attached Thumbnails Radiator-engine-bay.jpg   Radiator-old-radiator.jpg  
Old 6/26/10, 02:02 PM

Hmm, that looks like a 24 inch radiator? The link from CJ Pony parts showed a 20 inch radiator. Did you get the right one?

CJ Pony parts has good prices on their radiators. Do you like the one you got from them?

I'm thinking about putting a 24 inch radiator in mine since the summers down here are so hot. I need to be able to drive this car in the summer.

That does look like a clutch fan to me.

Last edited by Falchion; 6/26/10 at 03:04 PM.
Old 6/30/10, 01:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Hmm, that looks like a 24 inch radiator? The link from CJ Pony parts showed a 20 inch radiator. Did you get the right one?

CJ Pony parts has good prices on their radiators. Do you like the one you got from them?

I'm thinking about putting a 24 inch radiator in mine since the summers down here are so hot. I need to be able to drive this car in the summer.

That does look like a clutch fan to me.
No it's a 20 inch. I already put the new one in and it fit perfectly. The kit I bought from CJ's was great had everything I needed minus a few parts which I bought at a local auto parts store.

So kit came with all clamps hoses and a 3 row radiator. I purchased separately the following:

Thermostat w/new gasket -160 degrees
New rubber hoses for the automatic cooling lines
16lbs radiator cap with pressure relief

I will post the pics of the finished install later. I still have them on the camera.
Old 6/30/10, 02:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Here are the pics please excuse the coolant around the base of the radiator, apparently I missed the hole
Attached Thumbnails Radiator-radiator-finished.jpg   Radiator-radiator-new.jpg  
Old 6/30/10, 07:37 PM

Looks good! How does it cool? Is the fan new as well?

I've got mine in the shop getting the 24 inch radiator put in. I hated to have them carve up the radiator support, but I have to be able to drive in this traffic and heat, or it's park the car untill winter!

I'm also having them redo some work on the rear end. The shop I went to for that turned out to be not so good.
Old 6/30/10, 08:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Looks good! How does it cool? Is the fan new as well?

I've got mine in the shop getting the 24 inch radiator put in. I hated to have them carve up the radiator support, but I have to be able to drive in this traffic and heat, or it's park the car untill winter!

I'm also having them redo some work on the rear end. The shop I went to for that turned out to be not so good.
I haven't really had a chance to get and drive it since the new radiator. Still having an ongoing issue with white smoke billowing out the tail pipes Engine seems to run find but I want to adjust the timing and carb before I take it to a shop. Hopefully that will help with the smoke. I plan on waiting for this engine to blow before I get into any major overhauls or engine swaps.

As for the fan it is new it came with the car when I bought it and was already installed. Also already had a new water pump as well. So every cooling component is new as of now .

Good luck with your cooling issues and rear end issues! That really sucks when you find a shop and it does not turn out good
Old 7/1/10, 06:50 AM

Yeah thanks!

I haven't really had a chance to get and drive it since the new radiator. Still having an ongoing issue with white smoke billowing out the tail pipes Engine seems to run find but I want to adjust the timing and carb before I take it to a shop. Hopefully that will help with the smoke. I plan on waiting for this engine to blow before I get into any major overhauls or engine swaps.

As for the fan it is new it came with the car when I bought it and was already installed. Also already had a new water pump as well. So every cooling component is new as of now .

Good luck with your cooling issues and rear end issues! That really sucks when you find a shop and it does not turn out good