1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Question about an Alternator on a 289 v4

Search this Thread

Old 3/19/04, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After examining why the engine would not stay idle, I took the negitive lead off the battery while it was running and sure enough it stopped. Everything I can remember says the alternator is bad? When I took it to Discount Auto Parts, they put in on the test machine and said it was fine?

Does anyone have an idea of what to look at next and/or can the test equipment be incorrect?

Thanks in advance.

:bang:
Old 3/21/04, 02:29 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re-connect the terminal.. turn on the car.. let it run. Take a voltmeter and measure the voltage across the battery terminals. The voltage should be between 13.5-14.5V. If it is less than that and keeps dropping then either your alternator or voltage regulator are bad. I haven't dealt with voltage regulators yet so I don't know how to re-build them.

I personally plan on getting the kit from MAD enterprises to upgrade the whimpy 38A alternator in my 66 Galaxie to a 110A internally regulated GM alternator.

If it is not your alternator then there could be some issues with the carb. Are the idle mixture screws properly set? what about the idle speed? are there any vacuum leaks? Is the carb really dirty? the timing? those are all symptoms of the car stalling and having a rough idle.

My advice: Get a factory shop manual for a 66 Mustang... they are gold
Old 3/22/04, 10:09 AM

Thanks for the reply... The reason why I haven't entertained the idea of the carb being the problem, is that when I had a battery charger on the battery while it was idling... Purred like a kitten. When I took it off, it eventually stalled (couple of minutes)? I put the alternator in the car yesterday but haven't had a chance to test it... I'll let you know. I am also going to check out the battery for perhaps a bad cell? I also was told that could cause a problem as well.

:scratch:
Old 3/22/04, 10:18 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The problem you describe is likely the charging system from what you desrcibe.

A friend had the same problem in his car. After a while the battery voltage would drop below 8 and there would not be enough juice to fire the plugs.
Old 3/24/04, 10:47 AM

Finished up the Alternator install and tested last night... Seems to be fine! At the battery, voltmeter reads 12.30 volts while running. Took it out a little last night and she stalled a couple times (cold maybe?) while stretching out her legs. Going to rebuild the carb and see if that helps. I can smell gas pretty strong after shutting down. Can't seem to find a leak though?

Old 4/10/04, 07:21 AM

With a couple more weeks trying to figure out why, when idling, the battery only read 12.3 volts? Turns out the voltage regulator is bad. Going to get another one tonight and I think that will fix the problem:

Seeing how this is the last part of the charging system I have replaced, seems only likely this will be it!