1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Question on 65 stang

Search this Thread

Old 4/9/04, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I own a 65 mustang 289 3 speed w/ac. My father bought the car in 67 its been in the family ever sense. It needs to be restored both quarters panels,the panel below rear window and trunk floor need to be replaced, I have the sheetmetal. but not sure if i should restore the car, this does not include rebuilding motor suspension normal mustang restoration. Iam considering buying a factory five racing cobra kit but undecided. This is were i need some suggestions on what to do. Restore 65 or buy cobra kit any help would be great... :bang:
Old 4/12/04, 04:18 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Proper restoring can turn into a money pit. No matter what a good estimate one comes up with, it winds up being more, a lot more. If you have visible rust, there is a good possibility that there is more where it can't be seen. You have to ask yourself "at the end, what do I have?" and once you start investing there is no turning back, specially if the car has some sentimental value.

If yours was a premium model, such as a GT or Shelby, then you could come close to getting your money back if you aren't satisfied. I had two '68s restored. I am thankful for the experience, and I just about did ground up restorations, but have regreted wasting thousands. And at the end, neither one was what I expected or measured to the present standards.

If you have the money, consider the recent special editions or the upcoming models. You can take proper care and have an enjoyable experience. If you like further details, I be glad to provide you with particulars.
Old 4/13/04, 07:33 AM
Cobra R Member

In alot of cases (just like yours) there is sentimentality to take into account. That said only you can make a judgement call on a car that your dad was the original owner of.

If I was in your situation, there is no question that I would spare no expense to bring it back to life. That of course with no plans to ever sell it, so getting my money out of the job would be irrelevant.

If it is just an old beat up car to you, don't bother. If it is a priceless family heirloom, get to work!
Old 4/13/04, 08:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Just adding my $.02 here, but, as cool as the old cobras are, I would DEFINATELY restore the 65 before doing a kit. Reason? Simple. The cobra is a kit car. It's not a factory car, and while it is definately just as cool, it is defintately a kit. If you're anxious to do a cobra some day, then tackle it later on. those kits are not going anywhere anytime soon no matter how hard shelby tries.

Stick with the 65 simply because of, as blake put it best, the sentimental value. That was your father's car. You'll regret it in 20 years if you look back and you DIDN'T restore that car, only to pass it to someone else. Keep it in the familly.

I think you'll get more enjoyment from the 65 anyways. The parts are cheap and easy to find, and you're already starting with a base (no matter what the condition). You can buy ANYTHING for that car except for a few oddball parts that require some junkyard hunting. Those are not likely things you'll be looking for either.

If you need links to some of the 50 billion mustang websites, or you need any advice along the way, shoot me a line or drop it in here. I've done everything, and I mean EVERYTHING there is to do on a 1st gen mustang except rebuild a transmission. I can tell you excactly what you're up against as far as cost of parts and time spent in labor. Let me know if you need some advice.

EDIT: Blake, you got any pics of your 66 fastback? I'd LOVE to see them! 1st Gen fastbacks are by far the coolest!
Old 4/14/04, 07:52 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by StangerX@Apr. 13th, 2004, 8:23 PM

EDIT: Blake, you got any pics of your 66 fastback? I'd LOVE to see them! 1st Gen fastbacks are by far the coolest!
Well, not to hijack the guys thread but...

A couple old shots (right now it is in the middle of body work). Shots with the old red interior, and a pic of the new interior.
Old 4/14/04, 07:54 AM
Cobra R Member

Old 4/14/04, 07:55 AM
Cobra R Member

Last one.
Old 4/14/04, 11:17 AM

I want to thank you guys for your info,and im going to restore the stang. Blake you have a awsome fastback mine is just a coupe.
Old 4/14/04, 01:20 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by asvt@Apr. 14th, 2004, 11:20 AM
I want to thank you guys for your info,and im going to restore the stang. Blake you have a awsome fastback mine is just a coupe.
Hey thanks man, but don't say "just a coupe" that way. I had a coupe at one time and loved it. Just because I had to pay more $ because the fastback has a slanted roof doesn't make it any more a classic. I'm just glad to hear that your coupe will have a new lease on life and stay in the family. If you ask me, that family connection is more rare and more valuable than a plain 'ol "just a fastback" like mine.