1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

OT: Compressor recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 3/23/05, 03:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, my long dismantling weekend is fast approaching and I am thinking now is the time to buy the compressor and air tools I have always wanted to make my job easier. Any good reccomendations? What PSI to get? I'm not looking for the best or the worst, average and reliable will be just fine. Also, some good starter tool recomendations would be appreciated as well. My father in law who is MR. Harbour Freight obviously suggests them but I have had mixed results and my experience is that mechanical items are'nt their cup of tea. Ideally I'd like to find something I could get at my local Home Depot / Sears whatever but I need to narrow down the choices.
Old 3/23/05, 05:53 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by pakrat@March 23, 2005, 4:23 PM
.................... MR. Harbour Freight obviously suggests them but I have had mixed results and my experience is that mechanical items are'nt their cup of tea. Ideally I'd like to find something I could get at my local Home Depot / Sears whatever but I need to narrow down the choices.
Here is a nice I-Rand. I put one in the garage last summer. Shop around and you can get an 80 gallon <1k$. Home Depot carries a similar in Husky (sp) brand. 2 stage is ideally the way to go, 80 - plus gallons, IMO. It's a nice investment. A couple of cheap air ratchets from HarborFright to abuse, a DA sander, air chisel, nibbler, sand blaster....blah, blah, blah
Old 3/24/05, 10:20 AM
GT Member

I have a sears unit but it is set up with a quieter motor which is very nice. I'd have to check the model # but it works great. I have had two set of air tools cheap and snap ons. Snaps ons are the goods.
Old 3/24/05, 02:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

OK that helps narrow down some parameters, thanks guys.
Old 4/6/05, 01:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well, I went and scoped out the local Home Depot today and here is what I found. I decided that spending a grand at this point was not feasable, not when spending 15 to 20k on the car as well. If I find I use it way more than I figure, then I can always upgrade, for now I just need a basic unit that will help me disassmble the car faster.

The first one I looked at was this one:

HUSKY
5 Peak HP 26 Gal Vertical Compressor
Model VT6315
$367

A solid CAST IRON, twin cylinder compressor pump for extreme durability. Offers 135 PSI maximum pressure and air delivery 6.6/5.8 SCFM @ 40/90 PSI. Features pneumatic tires, efficient Solberg style intake filter, and a heavy-duty handle. Unit also includes a pressure switch and regulator with outlet and tank gauges.

• Up to 5,000 hours of extended life
• Space saving vertical tank is ideal for the garage or limited space environments
• Sturdy, robust handle and wheels for easier portability
• Designed to channel air over the pump for maximum cooling
• Automotive style changeable air filter
• Protective belt guard designed to channel air to cool the pump
• High quality oversized gauges
• American made CAST IRON pump
• 26 Gallon vertical tank
• Semi-pneumatic tires
• Over 35 percent quieter and 60 degrees cooler than aluminum pumps with cast iron sleeves

It seemed like a pretty decent average Joe unit. Then I saw this one:

HUSKY
5.5 Peak / 1.7 Running HP, 26 Gallon Husky Compressor
$259

This 5.5 HP, 26 Gallon Husky Compressor creates 5.1 SCFM @ 90 psi. The unit can be stored and run horizontally or vertically.

• For added flexibility and space saving it can be operated or stored in either the vertical or horizontal position.
• High flow oil-less pump delivers abundant airflow without the hassles of time-consuming maintenance.
• Easy to use and easy to read control panel offers complete control of air manipulation.
• Hot and moving parts are covered by a protective shroud making the unit safe to operate.
• The work area can be kept well organized and clutter free due to the built-in tool and accessory storage features.
• 1/4" coupler included
• Oversized wheels

Now maybe I'm missing something key, but the two seem pretty comparable except for maybe the compressor and the heavy duty features like the tires etc...., so to get a more portable unit that is half the weight for over $100 less seems to make the first one not so good. Am I wrong here? Also the seconds shows a lower running hp, is that bad?

The last unit I looked does not seem to be available online (HUSKY #WL6608), I believe it must be an instore special or something. It looks alot like the first unit only 32 gallons, it was listed as 5.5hp/ 1.7hp running 26 gal but with 150 PSI and a 9.9 CFM rating. It was a regular price of $299 for $230 and the biggest draw was that it came with a complete tool starter kit, ratchets, chisels, air brush, engine cleaner, nibbler, practically the works.

Now I realize that this last unit may not be the greatest out of 3 for obvious reasons but i can't help think that for my first compressor with no real idea how much I'll use it or what for that I almost can't go wrong. If the tools are crap I can always replace them, but it would appear I could try it on alot of things and see what I want to upgrade on later.

Opinons, comments, warnings????
Old 4/6/05, 09:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Pak--make sure you get one with a good SCFM rating. That's what you need to power your tools. I have a middle range Craftsman that I got on sale for about 250. More than enough for what I need. I looked at the horizonal tank, but the verticle one sits nicely in the corner of my garage.

Also make sure you get one that works on 110 unless you have a 220 circuit in the garage.

I think you are right--best compressor you can afford, cheaper tools.

Sometimes the Sears ones come with kits--air ratchets, hoses and such. Shop around.

I can get a model number off my compressor tomorrow if you'd like.

--P
Old 4/7/05, 10:05 AM
GT Member

My experience is that you should look for a vertical model. One that is quiet and affordable. I have had a 5 1/2 hp 25 gallon vertical that I used for a couple of years. It worked great until I tried a grinder with it. It did not work well. I had since upgraded to a 7hp 65 gallon 220v vertical and love it.

If you are looking for a impact wrench snap on im6100 I believe it the ticket. I had a cheap one and could do better with my hands than it did.
Old 4/7/05, 10:42 AM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's a nice I-R for ~$500.

Tractor Supply
Old 4/7/05, 01:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by copasspupil@April 7, 2005, 10:08 AM
My experience is that you should look for a vertical model. <SNIP>

Is this because verticles are easier to purge of trapped water?

My craftsman is a 150PSI, 6HP 30 Gallon and according to their guide, it'll run anything that sears sells that isn't the "professional" grade. (Read: This compressor is WAAAAY more than Paul needs. He's likely to grind off his arm.)
Old 4/7/05, 02:40 PM
GT Member

1. locates the trapped water easier
2. takes up less space
3. Still consider and purchase a water separator/psi gauges for the unit. Make sure the arrows on these goes in the right direction.
Old 4/7/05, 03:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for all the feedback guys, now I can at least sound like I know what I am talking about.