1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Original paint matching

Search this Thread

Old 2/22/12, 02:17 AM
les
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Original paint matching

I have a 1966 mustang coupe that I am restoring. It still has the original paint. The code is U Tahoe turquoise if I remember correctly off hand. Anyway my question is after a light wet sand and buffing I am able to get rid of the oxidation and bring back it's brilliance but it needs touch up in a few locations and I will have to reshoot a fender (uncle wrecked it). My question is which will be able to match the original paint better. A single stage paint or a multi? I have read that they were originally shot with a single but who knows how reliable various Internet sources are. I want the paint that I am shooting not to stand out against the aged original paint.
Old 2/22/12, 08:35 AM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I know that there are these wonderful toys out there now that can actually give the guys at the automotive paint store the exact color of the car including ANY fading and oxidation that is going on with the paint.

As far as what kind is best to match I would go with a 2 stage ( basecoat/ Clearcoat) it will give it the same look as the original. The single stages to me doesnt give any depth to the paint like a 2 stage does.

Hope this helps.