1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

The old stangs hang on...

Search this Thread

Old 4/28/04, 02:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure I've mentioned it recently, but at the risk of beating a horse that's already dead, I'll rehash.

In the past few months at the local mustang club (division of MCA), the newer mustang owners have started driving a wedge between themselves and the old mustang owners. There have been numerous verbal battles about how far superior the new ones are. The old stangers don't really care, myself included. We just like mustangs in general and enjoy meeting up to talk about common interests.

I've watched the owners of the newer stangs closely, and I've observed that in any situation they are starved for attention. When leaving meetings, they always feel the need to peel wheel for a quarter mile out of the parking lot while redlining in first gear. the old stangers just exit quietly.

I don't mind the new mustang owners being at the meetings at all. They are what has kept the hobby alive for so long. I feel a slight disconnect though because I don't know what to talk about. I do all of my work to my 66. I've done everything there is to do, and at the ripe old age of 24, I'm an oddity amongst mustang owners.

The rift grew as the new mustang owners became spiteful. They realized that they can't go to car shows and win trophies for their cars. Even the modded ones don't win. Who goes to car shows to see cars that you can still buy on a lot?

Long story short, they tried to overthrow the president in order to empower themselves against the old stangers. It failed last night as the movement was batted down. The president is still in place (owns a sexy black 68 vert w/ 390 numbers matching.)

I talk to all kinds of new stang owners, and they really don't understand it. There are several folks there that just enjoy coming to talk about mustangs. They love looking at the old cars, and want to learn how to improve on theirs. Others are not satisfied and want to have weekly meetings. I'm a young guy, and I have to say that I struggle enough to make a monthly meeting every 2 or 3 months!

The old cars won't die. Try as you will, but they are the herritage. Respect your elders - as I always say. There's no need to call attention to yourself when you know you're center stage already. B)
Old 4/28/04, 02:45 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
A lot of clubs are having the same problem. Many were set up as first-gen only clubs and late-model owners are left out. Luckily just about everyone in my club owns at least one of each.
Old 4/28/04, 02:48 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
WOW . . . I never knew and never thought there would be an issue between the two groups of owners.

It's pretty bad when Mustang owners in general want to start rifts, especially with fellow owners.

I have not joined the MCA yet, but hope the local chapter in Cincinnati does not have this problem.

Hope your situation gets better.
Old 4/28/04, 03:03 PM

It's important for a club to host events that cater to both types of enthusiasts. Many of my late model friends hate car shows, but you won't catch my classic Mustang friends drag racing theirs. Things like caravans, club picnics, and drive-in movies are fun for everyone. And ask members for their suggestions. Most people that leave a club say they never felt involved, but they never made the effort either. You really have to reach out to everyone.
Old 4/28/04, 04:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Let me put this way, be haappy that you have a club
Old 4/29/04, 04:29 AM
Bullitt Member

We all love our club. I myself have not been involved much. That's my own fault. Well, actually, I've spent the last 4+ years now rebuilding my car. That keeps me away from a lot of events because she's just not running. I finally got the engine strait and now I'm doing body work. Never the less, the events that are going on are increasing over what they used to be. We've done dyno runs, caravans, poker runs, car shows, drag race evens with the corvette club at the local drag strip, and so on.

If I could get my car in good enough running order, I know there would be enough for me to participate in. It's just really hard to want to be a part of that stuff when your car isn't running or is torn appart.

As for the rift, It's really sad. I always try my best to reach out to my fellow club members. I offer my help in any car work they are doing but never get a response. The president has helped them out on many ocasions. He has helped them get their cars running all the time, and got stabbed in the back.

There are a lot of folks there that own both new and old, just like you say Brad. Those folks have a great appreciation for ALL mustangs, and that's all that anyone should want out of their local Mustang club. I guess time will tell on this one, but I really hope that people can put their petty issues behind them and realize that this club's future is on the line. If we don't work together, there won't be a club to fight over.
Old 4/29/04, 05:20 PM
GT Member

I have had the opposite experience... here anyway. I have a classic mustang, and it seems that there were 2 groups, the late model group, and the classic group who are mainly in their late 40's early 50's who really do not associate with newbie younger guy members with a classic, so I no longer go to the local mustang club which was is wierd since when I lived in Tucson, AZ everyone mingled really well, so it bums me out now living in Boise, ID.
Old 4/29/04, 06:38 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't own a Mustang, but I've gone to a SVTOA event before (Wisconsin chapter) and they seemed like they got along pretty well and weren't too picky about the car that you brought to the game. I mean, heck, my dad and I had our worn out 93 Sable LS that my dad still drives to this day (133k heh heh). Granted we probably didn't impress anybody when we got on the freeway at 3/4 throttle and only hit 85 when they smoked us and ran about 135 or so haha, but that wasn't what I wanted to do anyways. The convoy type thing was pretty cool. All the guys seemed to enjoy it. Anyways, the sorta feeling that I got there was that some of the guys seemed to act like they owned the place but overall everybody got along decently. Nobody brought their old Mustangs. As one guy put it "My 66 never would have made it through those turns back there." He's right, actually. As sad as it might sound a 93 Sable does better through the twisties that we went by near Merril Hills. So basically the type of event that they have forces you to bring a newer car. Then again, SVTOA is a newer organization.
Old 4/29/04, 08:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Well, things just went from bad to worse today. Seems the chip on the new guys' sholders was much larger than we thought. They are all pulling out of the club and creating their own club. I guess since they couldn't have their way they are quitting.

It's really sad that this is happening, but what can you do? I can't possibly respect anyone with that kind of attitude. That's worse than a 5 year old. It's funny too because they are going to make it an open Ford club. We already have one of those locally!

The only thing I hope for is that some of the really cool new car guys stick around. I would hate to see some of them go. Still, if anyone has that kind of attitude, I can't exactly find a way to respect them.

I'm just happy that we still have the MCA title for our mustang club. All is not lost. We have the treasury and the cool people that I have come to LOVE haning out with. These people are some of the greatest ever. The president breaks his neck to help everyone, especially young folks to get into the hobby. He has bailed me out on NUMEROUS occasions.

Our club is still in tact, and I can only hope that this childish attitude does not affect our future membership as well as other MCA regional clubs. It seems to me that this could possibly be an attitude that could crop up in a town near you.

What no one realizes is that we all love cars and all want to enjoy them, no matter what they are. At least... that's how the classic stang owners in my area look at things. Can't speak for other areas or all newer stang owners, but I've met sevearal new stangers that agree.

I can only hope that this sad situation does not destroy the MCA from within. I also hope that with the release of the 05 that the new stangers can start to feel a deeper connection with the old stangers.
Old 4/29/04, 08:30 PM

How many people are left in the club now?
Old 4/29/04, 08:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Our population was about halved as far as I have heard. The final numbers probably won't be known until the next meeting. From what I heard, all of the folks that voted against the current president left. The first vote we did was a tie. we revoted and it was a victory by 1 for the current pres. It was 23-22, so about 22 people, from what I've been told, are leaving. Sad isn't it?
Old 5/1/04, 08:53 PM
GT Member

Wow. I'm not in any mustang clubs, thought that's something I wouldn't mind doing when I have a little more time. I had no idea things would be that way. I always thought that you couldn't really be a mustang fan unless you loved the old ones. Oh well. Stupid kids.
Old 5/3/04, 05:21 AM
Bullitt Member

I think this is a pretty rare thing for the most part. Had some new developments too. Turns out, one of the guys that helped start the club also bailed. He was just elected VP at the special election. The previous VP was reinstated, and as it turns out, he says that what they're trying to do is next to impossible. They'll never get the funding and the charter to pull it off. He said they're always welcome back to the mustang club, but no one sees that happening in the immediate future.

We're really going to snap in line with MCA now. A lot of rules were bent to cater to the newer mustangs. We really went out of our way to make them feel welcomed at the meetings. Since they won't be around, we are going to really overhaul the club. I don't see why not. Use the opportunity to do some housecleaning. My buddy and I are going to attempt to keep the website maintained too. Gotta help somehow. Heck... Might even run for an office!
Old 5/3/04, 02:58 PM
Bullitt Member

I've thought about checking out our local Mustang club, but just looking at their website, I thought they really only wanted classic stangs in it. I've been a Mustang lover all of my life.

Every generation has something that really cranks my tractor. I started to exclude the Mustang II, but I really like a good Cobra II, so gotta let them slide. :-)

When I hit the lottery, (yeah right), I'm going to have 1 of every generation in my garages. I had a SN95, now I have a Fox. I guess I'm working my way backwards toward a classic.

Anyway, I'm rambling. I thought as a general rule, a Mustang guy was a Mustang guy. Of course everyone has their favorite generation or edition, but as a rule, I figured they at least respected the other generations.

Can't we all just get along????
Old 5/3/04, 05:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Our local club may be officially called the "North Central Mustang Club", but we allow and actively invite anyone with any Ford-powered vehicle. We even have a few members who don't own any mustangs OR classic Fords. We've got about 60 members, but only around 30 (or less) that get actively involved with events.

Fortunately, we don't have rifts between the old and new crowds. And we are affiliated with MCA.
Old 5/3/04, 06:15 PM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Skorch, when is your next meeting?
Old 5/4/04, 03:24 AM
GT Member

Hey StangerX

I hope it turns out well ! Here in Belgium there are hardly any new mustangs around (too expensive) and quite a few who do own them just have a "modern" car and don't care about the mustangs legacy. And the enthousiasts that have a new one are not really into the classic gathering.

I have always allowed all years to participate in my rally, heck I even made serious efforts in getting the latest models to come ! But it worked and I have a few coming !

As said by others: a mustang is a mustang let's get along all together !

Someting different: if you have some photos on your 66 hardtop (before-during-after) I would be glad to put them on my site (always nice to see young people in a classic, you don't see many youngsters in a classic here)

Let me know !

Geoffrey, belgian mustangdriver and lover
Old 5/6/04, 10:40 AM
Bullitt Member

I own one of each .... I just ignore those individuals that cause problems. The club is better off without them.

It shouldn't be about who's is better.
Old 5/7/04, 06:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

About 2 1/2 years ago CVMC (MCA Charter Regional Club) was floundering and didn't have any direction. It was dead in the water. The membership at CVMC stood at 86.

A new leadership was elected and we kicked started the club by doing more cruise ins, shows and parades as a club. We also brought CVMC into the 21st century by going on line with our website. We also got a new club logo and shirts, hats, coffee mugs, etc.

The way our membership works we start over every January 1st (with 0). The following is how our membership has grown.

December 31st
2001 = 86
2002 = 103
2003 = 130
2004 = 120 (5 months)

As you can see we started to grow and keep growing. The club has developed legs of it's own now. The last meeting we had (May 5th) we had 65 people there.

What it boils down to is that if you open your club to ALL parts of the Mustang Hobby you will grow and the club will be fun.

FYI. In 2001 about 2/3 of the club was 1st gen Mustangs. In 2004 about 2/3 of the club is still 1st gen Mustangs.

Good luck with your club StangerX! I hope everything works out

B) B) B)
Old 5/7/04, 09:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Man, I had no idea it was like this with some groups. The car clubs (Mustang and general) around here are already trying to court me for when I get the '66, kinda like whenever a young dude gets a Corvette they try to get him too. Must be a status thing.

(feels hoity-toity)

Quick Reply: The old stangs hang on...