1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Newbie and a 67 Fastback

Search this Thread

Old 8/3/04, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently decided that I would like to purchase a 67 Fastback to have fun with and do minor restorations. Not interested in a trailer queen here, just something that looks cool, goes fast, and that I can have fun with. It's been about three weeks since I decided I wanted it, and i've been looking for one ever since but have had no luck. Apparently these cars are difficult to find. I've looked on Hemmings and contacted a few regional mustang clubs (I'm in the mid-atlantic region) but have had no success. It seems like you guys on this board know a lot and this will be a valuable source once I get the car, so I figured I'd get some advice on here.

If anyone knows of a 67 fastback for sale, is selling one, or has any suggestions on places to try to pick one of these up, I'd greatly appreciate it. I've wanted this car for a long time and now that I'm ready to buy it, I can't wait to get in the drivers seat. Any information about the 67 fastback would be helpful. Also, what are the main differences between the 67 and the 68? They look very similar, and I was wondering if one is recommended over the other.

Thanks, and i look forward to talking with everyone on this board as I learn about and work on my car.
Old 8/3/04, 10:42 AM
Cobra Member

hi there! fastback fiends are always welcome here

The 67 and 68 are essentially the same except for some outer trim/body differences and interior trim. Mechanically theres no difference. In 68 Federal law required side-marker lights so those were added in the 1/4 panels, and the side scoops, which were straked fins in 67, became chrome indentions.

Interior wise, its a tossup since both 67 and 68 std stering wheels are fugly In 68 the (sorta) collapsable steering column was introduced. In 68 the engine options got a whole lot better too. But thats meaningless if you are going to mod it heavily anyway.

67-68 FBs arent too hard to find if you look. Whats your budget, and how much work can you do yourself?? Thats the best indicator right there....

You must not be looking at Ebay, for some reason. There are 10-15 on there everytime you look......you can also try www.vintage-mustang.com classifieds, they pop up there fairly regularly also.

Again, welcome! Let us know how we can help!
________
Headshops

Last edited by LMan; 8/20/11 at 08:02 AM.
Old 8/3/04, 10:43 AM
GT Member

Check here, they have good reputation. If there are no 67's currently in inventory you might consider calling them to see if any are on the way in. With the Elenore craze still going strong the 67 fastbacks are hard to find. Good Luck

www.karmustang.com
Old 8/3/04, 01:06 PM

LMan,

This is the first car that I am venturing into restoring, so I am looking to do light restorations but nothing too complex. A friend is one of the top car people in the area (he actually worked with Ford to design the '92 Mustang) and recommended that I avoid Ebay simply because it was hard to tell what I was getting. Since this will be my first restoration, he will be helping me but I hope to learn a lot and do things on my own.

In terms of money, I'd probably be willing to spend anywhere between $10-20,000 for a good, solid car that may need some work but is driveable.

Any additional info you have would be great, and I appreciate you getting back to me. It's good to know that there are people interested in passing on their knowledge and passion for mustangs.
Old 8/3/04, 01:25 PM
Cobra Member

Your budget will more than suffice for your goals In fact, I heard of a friend's nice plum-colored 67 Mustang in fine shape that went for $15.3k just two days ago.

re: eBay, of course no prudent person buys/bids without at least sending someone to look at the car personally - I am well-familiar with the scams that occur there daily. But it is a source of leads, and a lot of classics end up there, for obvious reasons. Often the cars do not sell and 'offline' negotiations can happen....just a thought.

Hang in there. Some ppl look for years to find 'their' car. 3 weeks is a drop in the ocean...the right deal will come to you

Meanwhile, learn all you can about these great cars!
________
Laguna Bay Condo Pattaya

Last edited by LMan; 8/20/11 at 08:03 AM.
Old 8/3/04, 01:43 PM
Jay
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by MrMarsellus@August 3, 2004, 3:09 PM
... (he actually worked with Ford to design the '92 Mustang) ...
a real stretch from the '91 model