1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

New member and starting my project

Search this Thread

Old 4/7/11, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New member and starting my project

I'm a new member and am going to need all the advice I can get, opinions, good bad...helpful. I'm not an 18 year old dreamer. I wish I was 18 instead of 53 but then again I wouldn't have the resources to do this if I was 18. Although I don't have a great deal of experience in this size project but I've got faith I can see it through with good project and budget planning.

I have a 1969 Mustang that is in is pretty solid in most places but the front clip is not well, which is ok as this gave me the idea. I want to replace them with Shelby GT 350 fenders, hood, read deck, lights, etc. Really high end paint and finish is out of the question due to the costs.

I'm not looking to create a Shelby fake or impostor. In fact, I want a minimum of Shelby badges. I know the rear tail lights are going to say Shelby but I'm ok with that. It's just my personal preference. I like the way the Shelby looks and it's far more distinctive than a Mustang.

Part two will be really making it handle and feel like a more modern car. Right now, the TCI Pro Touring complete coil over front IFS and Torque Arm rear suspension appear to be the most complete and thought out package. They claim it will really make the car handle but also tie everything together and greatly strengthen it. Brakes and steering would also be part of this update.

Part three is the power train. This is going to be built by someone other than me, not exactly a crate engine but sorta close. I'm not looking to go over the deep end of this. John Kaase seems to be the guy.

I've always been a fan of the Boss 302. I'm looking at something along the lines of a Ford racing Boss 302 block with 4 bolt mains. This would be topped with CHI 3v heads. The valve gear, crank and carb I would leave to Kasse's expertise. Again, nothing crazy but solid.
I'm not a real fan of stroking this engine....maybe a 331 but no more.

The transmission would be the appropriate Tremec 6 speed running back to the ubiquitous 9 inch ford, perhaps by
Old 4/7/11, 01:57 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,751 Likes on 2,036 Posts
How about some Pictures to see what you are starting out with?

Also what are your Plans for the vehicle. Daily Driver, Show Car, How much are you going to drive it. Where are you Located. Different Locations and Road Conditions can also be a factor on how to build the car.

The more you deviate from stock the more complications arise and require greater planning.

Kc
Old 4/7/11, 09:39 PM

Sounds like a pretty expensive car to build with the things you want to do. You thought all the major components out already, but like he ^ said we need to know what your starting with and how you want to use the car. The sole purpose of the car is the most important piece of the puzzle.
Old 4/8/11, 10:22 AM

I'll snap some more presentable pictures. I have no intention of this being a show car. Daily driver?. I want it drivable enough for that. No rock crushing ride or so much noise and vibration that it would be painful to take on a day trip.

Expensive? That's likely true but I want to be able to finish it. There's nothing more expensive than getting in over my head and having a never finished project.
Engine build? Eh, let Kaase advise me and do it. I know what I want for the basics. No big block. I want a 4 bolt Boss 302 (maybe 331) with 3v CHI heads.
Tremec 6 speed.
Ford Currie 9 inch
TCI complete front & rear suspension and steering.
Big 4 piston brakes.
I think the biggest headache will be the body. The Glass Shelby fenders, hood, valance, rear deck, tail lights, etc will run the costs up, not only for parts costs but I have little delusion that they will be bolt on. A lot of hours will be devoting to fit and finish. Nothing wild about the paint. I don't want to burst into tears if it gets a chip.

If I don't go overboard and try to clone a Shelby down to the last detail, I know that will save more than a few bucks. I just like the 69 Shelby lines. I'm not looking to fake anyone out and If I'm going to do this, I want what I want.

Overall I want really good performance, reliability, both power and handling, good looks but certainly no trailer queen.

If I use major canned kits and crate products I know it will it work and I can finish it.

Again, thanks for the help and opinions.

One last thing I forgot. While I love the Shelby tail light treatment and front, fenders, grill, etc. I'm not as crazy about the 5 scoop hood. It looks a bit like a cheese grater.

Last edited by AbitNuttz; 4/8/11 at 10:31 AM.
Old 4/11/11, 12:43 PM

So after some budgetary calculations I've come up with some numbers that I think will work.
An engine built by Kaase, World Products "Man O War" 8.2 deck block, bored to 4.125 with a stroke of 3.25 gives 347 CID with the same rod to stroke ratio as a 331. CHI heads, the appropriate valve gear, forged crank and H-beam rods. A CHI aluminum manifold. I haven't decided on the carb yet. Anyway, you get the idea of a pretty light and very strong engine.

6 Speed Tremec trans. No idea of the best clutch. I'm sure that's a known quantity.

Ford 9" Currie limited slip third member.

TCI complete front and rear suspension, cross member, steering, brakes, air...the full monte.

The last would be the 1969 Shelby glass hood, fenders, deck, all of it. I just know that this is going to cost more to finish than I can imagine. No miracle paint. Just nice...

The interior is unknown at this point. It's not bad but I'll never leave it like it is.

My budget us $50,000 not counting my 1970 Mustang. That's me bolting and welding it all in but someone else finishing and paining it. I can nut, bolt and weld all of these crate and modules in...I just can't finish and paint.
Old 4/11/11, 06:27 PM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like a reasonable budget. Its amazing how the little stuff starts to add up when you start making a list. I had 6 pages full of parts the other day on one I was ordering everything for the interior and all chrome and lighting parts, and before you know it I had spent almost $5K. Included a 3 row aluminum radiator.
Old 4/12/11, 01:19 AM

I'm going with a minimum of chrome for all kids of reasons. The 69 Shelby looks very different from the 69-70 Mustang. I just didn't realize how different. If I go with a deep black paint and little chrome...no one will know what this car is. The only give away is the big ol' Shelby across the tail.
I kind of like that...I'll call it something like a Boss-Shelby.

I was looking at a really good glass hood...$900 bucks, yikes! I'm not going with any hinges. It's going to be a lift off and pinned.