1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

My Mustang - My Money - My Pain

Search this Thread

Old 1/30/05, 05:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

There are so many things that need to be done to my mustang. Disc conversion. Interior work. Updating the motor and trans. Driveline etc. How do you guys deal with the pain, of not being able to afford to fix up your stang in the timeline you would like. I try not looking at my car, not hitting the forums. But basically I just stare and dream, with a quiet panic like anticipation of the furture of my stang. My wife calls if obsessing, well Yes it is. I waited for 20 years to find this car I can't wit any longer to see it done. Let me know how you guys deal with the mental fenzy...
Just a guy who loves his car.....
Trick65

:bang:
Old 1/30/05, 06:47 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Originally posted by tricksixtyfive@January 30, 2005, 5:02 PM
There are so many things that need to be done to my mustang. Disc conversion. Interior work. Updating the motor and trans. Driveline etc. How do you guys deal with the pain, of not being able to afford to fix up your stang in the timeline you would like. I try not looking at my car, not hitting the forums. But basically I just stare and dream, with a quiet panic like anticipation of the furture of my stang. My wife calls if obsessing, well Yes it is. I waited for 20 years to find this car I can't wit any longer to see it done. Let me know how you guys deal with the mental fenzy...
Trick65

All i can say is that i wish i was in your position... it is better to love and to panic then to never have loved!
good luck, and make sure to keep us updated with any news
Old 1/30/05, 07:56 PM
Cobra Member

yup trick65,

You need to cheer up cause you have a car to obsess about, not me, I have other people's cars to obsess about, that's why I spend so much time on here. I can only dream of the day I have one in my garage that I can spend all of my money on. I do feel a bit sorry for you though, since you have it, and can't do everything you want to it right away... but someday I will be there too

at least I do have a nice old stang whenever I :sleep:

good luck with your car
Old 1/30/05, 08:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Lottery tickets?

I feel your pain. When you become a "grown-up" and get a house note, a car note, and a son, your disposable income mostly dries up. Fortunately, I have a very understanding wife--she's helped me bleed brakes at midnight the day before a show.

Who made me a grown-up when I wasn't looking?

--Paul
Old 1/30/05, 08:44 PM
Cobra Member

its always good to put the car aside for a time when you get too frustrated. After a time interval your motivation and funds will accumulate!
________
WEB SHOWS

Last edited by LMan; 8/20/11 at 09:25 AM.
Old 1/30/05, 09:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Cool thanks for the shoulder.. you guys know the deal
Old 1/30/05, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by tricksixtyfive@January 30, 2005, 7:02 PM
Trick65

I know exactly how you feel, it only took me seven years to get mine back on the road, and it's still not done.

Ronnie......
Old 1/30/05, 09:52 PM
GT Member

Just last month, my wife ask me where did all your money go?????? I'm sure that I'm not the only one, but it comes in waves. Spent a lot one month and put stuff together...no funds until that check comes in. It is hard when you see all these nice stangs pop up. I feel pretty lucky. I have not ridden in mine for 17 months, but I am a whole lot closer now then last month. I don't have to make as much zroom zroom noices and the kids don't ask "do you think we can ride in it this summer??????"
Old 1/30/05, 09:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Mustang anonymous he he
Old 1/31/05, 05:18 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by tricksixtyfive@January 30, 2005, 11:01 PM
Mustang anonymous he he
lol count me in!

"Hi everyone, my name is Alex, and I have a problem..."
Old 1/31/05, 08:26 AM
Cobra R Member

It took me a while to figure out, but I recently realized that the thinking/dreaming/planning is as much fun as anything. I'm planning my 5.0/T-5 swap right now, and I could either install as is (a fresh stock rebuild) or do some sort of financial hokey-pokey to try and hop that **** up with every aftermarket toy I could throw at it and eat Ramen noodles for a few months. In a revalation, I realized that I shouldn't break the bank or otherwise lose sleep over it. Install, enjoy, and still have room to dream and improve.
Old 3/10/05, 12:46 PM

I bought my '69 Mach 1 in October '93 as a basket case. I used it as my daily driver from the time I finished the first restoration in '97 until I finished building my house in '99. It was a blast! I had a T-5 behind a warmed over 351W with performer intake, mild Crane cam, original Doug Thorley 1 5/8" headers, 3.70 gears w/traclock and Autolite 600 4bbl from Pony Carbs. I drove it from Southern Maryland up to D.C. and down to Dallas Tx and back. I got an incredible 23 mpg with the overdrive and autolite on the interstate. After a couple of trips to the drag strip I had to replace the t5 with a Tremec. Then I used it as my work truck while I built my house. Tore it up pretty bad For over 3 years it sat in the garage gathering dust, rust and leaking oil. Then I decided that when it drove again, it would be with big 4 wheel disc brakes, rack& pinion steering and a 408 stroker. I got carried away designing my own front suspension (tubular upper and lower arms, 12.72x1.25 Wilwood rotors w/ PBR C5 'vette calipers, AFCO coilover shocks and springs) but it is finally nearing completion. I can't spend as much time as I would like on the car, and I'm so anxious to drive it I can hardly sleep at night! I hope to crank the engine for the first time this weekend. I plan to throw one heck of a party when it finally leaves for the open road!
Old 3/10/05, 02:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

wow, do you have any pics of the tubular setup? My uncle is in the process of putting a 408 or 392 stroker in his mustang, and is having the same problem with money. It just seems that there si never enough...
Old 3/10/05, 07:22 PM

yeah.. its horrible.. to many sleeplessnights.. you keep on thinking about parts and things that you want to do such as fixing the interior Wanna know what has been done to the engine (last owner didnt say so much).. oh i bet it would look good with one of these.. etc.. same here i just stare at it but something that always makes me happy is new parts.. its a friggin obcesion (sp? lol) you cant get rid of.. i have just ordered lots of parts 2months ago and they still havent got here.. this is driving me nuts..
Old 3/10/05, 09:30 PM
Bullitt Member

I know exactly how you feel, I'm in the same position. I bought my 67 last May as my first car; my dream car as my first car. I bought it knowing that I would have to do a lot of repairs. I'm still working on it, not driving it yet, and the anticipation and anxiousness is horrible. But all you gotta do is think, "This is gonna be such an awesome car when it's done, and it'll be worth the wait." I'm still ordering parts every couple of weeks or so, saving up in between, still thinkin about different mods I want to make to it, about what I want to do with the engine, tranny, paint, interior, stereo, etc., and I'm thinking of new things everyday. All you have to do is wait until the finished project, and you will know that it was well worth the wait.
Old 3/11/05, 07:54 AM
GT Member

"How do you guys deal with the pain, of not being able to afford to fix up your stang in the timeline you would like."

I build scale models. Usually Mustangs, but I'm not scared to stray into the enemy camps from time to time! I can put together what I imagine my car looking like in 5 years or maybe build a replica of something I used to own. It's a feeling of accomplishment and relatively inexpensive. Plus, it's still an extension of my automotive hobby. From time to time I'll collect vintage ads and search out old toys and sales brochures on eBay. If it says "Mustang" somewhere on it, I need it for some sort of collection I've started!

There are plenty of ways to enjoy your hobby without actually shelling out hundreds or thousands of dollars on your car itself.
Old 3/11/05, 08:05 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This topic makes me want to cry :cry:
Old 3/11/05, 11:06 AM

[quote=Nathan,March 10, 2005, 5:23 PM]
wow, do you have any pics of the tubular setup?

Here ya go Nathan... pics of the upper and lower arms. The caliper is not installed in this pic, but I think you can get a pretty good idea of what everything looks like.
Old 3/11/05, 12:08 PM
Bullitt Member

I've been working on mine for 4 years and it's finally coming together. I still need to do allot more things to her like disc brakes and pulling the motor (again) to clean and detail it ete... I also am starting to fix things I half did in the beginning. Concentrate on major problem and do it right the first time. So keep on keeping on, cause you will get there. and when you do it will be a glorious day! B)

Try to get a plan write it down and stick with it. Attack one piece at a time. My woes have been I have changed my mind a hundred times on what I want to do with the car it's made it more costly and made the need to redo things. At first I wanted to do a resto-mod and over the years I've changed my mind and decided to do a complete classic resto GT car.

Just seems like the closer you get the father you get away sometimes.
Old 3/11/05, 07:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by tricksixtyfive@January 30, 2005, 11:01 PM
Mustang anonymous he he
Yea, and my wife says she need to start a "Mustang Widows" group!!!

Quick Reply: My Mustang - My Money - My Pain