1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Mustangs Downunder

Search this Thread

Old 10/4/04, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi
I live about an hour north of Sydney in Australia. Mustangs were not sold in Australia by FORD except for a few special circumstances which I do not have the detail on.

Having said that there have been many imported into Australia especially since the exchange rate has improved in the last 12-18months.

I looked for some years in local magazines to find a suitable 67 or 68 fastback or convertible. I could not find the right car until one day i searched ebay.

So one day with mouse button in hand i bid on a red 68 convertible with GT add-ons. Low an behold I won the auction. I then met a great guy - Kat Johnson of Texas, who helped me organise to get the car down to Australia. He had the car available for a 3rd party to inspect and delivered the car to the DAS depot. About 16 weeks later I took delivery of my "beauty". She kicked over and I unloaded her and parked her in her new home down under.

For those who do not know, Aussies drive on the left hand side of the road and cars produced here are made right hand drive.

Local street registration rules have changed for older classics and the former Texas convertible is now registered and regularly driven left hand drive to shows, weekend drives and hopefully on October 13th in Syndey as part of the parade for returning paralympians.

I have also joined the local mustang club and at the recent round up there were about 150 classic mustangs on display. even 5 pristine '69 shelbys in a row..

www.mustang.org.au is the site address for those interested.

A friend in the US sent me the address for Brad's site. great info and I have passed it onto the stang guys I know..
Old 10/4/04, 08:23 AM
Cobra Member

congratulations! A beautiful car it is....glad you had a good buying experience

Welcome to the forum! We are looking forward to hearing more about Mustangs Down Under
________
thai property in Pattaya

Last edited by LMan; 8/20/11 at 08:42 AM.
Old 10/4/04, 08:42 AM
Team Mustang Source

Welcome to the site. I met several Australians as well as some CRAZY New Zealanders this past summer during Mustangs Across America.
It takes real dedication to keep the Mustang spirit alive anywhere overseas. We tend to take it for granted, as it's so easy for us to make a phone call and get any part reasonably cheap within a couple days.