1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Making myself a list..........

Search this Thread

Old 1/19/05, 02:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Projects that need to be tackled this weekend.

1. Weld/fill holes from vinyl top trim
2. Weld/fill holes from quarter panel trim
3. Weld up all useless holes in engine compartment
4. Install upper mount for 3 point seatbelts.

:shock:

I guess I get to break in my new welding helmet.
Old 1/19/05, 02:58 PM
Cobra R Member

Nice!

I know I have pages and pages of project lists. The "Interior Resto List" is only eclipsed by the "Paint & Body Resto List". The "5.0/T-5 Swap List" is well on it's way to being the most intimidating stack of paper dedicated to that old car yet. :P
Old 1/19/05, 03:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, I'm still working on the body & paint list. These are just some things that came to mind that I still need to do before it goes to paint. It's so cold right now that I can't do any filler/priming but I can weld.
Old 1/19/05, 03:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

do you have any pages on how to paint the interior doors and how to paint the fiberglass fastback interior panels. I keep going to paint shops and all i get is "it is easier to do it yourself" but i don't wanna just prime and paint and 2 months later it all starts to chip off. Does anyone have a step by step guide to do this right???
I can't stand looking at chipped doors and empty speakers holes anymore!!
Old 1/19/05, 03:53 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by tricksixtyfive@January 19, 2005, 5:47 PM
do you have any pages on how to paint the interior doors and how to paint the fiberglass fastback interior panels. I keep going to paint shops and all i get is "it is easier to do it yourself" but i don't wanna just prime and paint and 2 months later it all starts to chip off. Does anyone have a step by step guide to do this right???
I can't stand looking at chipped doors and empty speakers holes anymore!!
Interior doors are easy since they're metal.

• Apply paint stripper
• Wipe off old paint
• Make a mad dash for the sink because you bumped part of the door with your arm and the stripper is burning your skin off
• Make a mental note to wear long sleeves/pants and gloves when dealing with stripper
• Clean newly stipped area, mask where necessary
• Paint

Note: I didn't use primer because I didn't want to fill in the texture. Doors still look great 1 1/2 years later.

The fiberglass interior panels are different because there's really no good way to strip them without damaging them. In this case, I just used one of those double-sided sponges (green & yellow) and Simple Green to thoroughly clean the panels and get off any flaking paint. Then rinse with water and paint.

Don't know what to tell you about empty speaker holes except to get some new speakers.
Old 1/19/05, 03:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

In a nut shell.......

Strip the doors with "aircraft" stripper (found at autozone) or comparable paint stripper and a wire brush to get all the old paint out of the cracks. The fiberglass panels can be stripped with oven cleaner, IIRC.

Prime using very light coats so as not to fill the grain. With black interior you can use Krylon 1613 (satin black) if you want to do a cheapy job. For something a little nicer, you'll have to go to the paint store to get the paint matched. It also needs to be a satin finish and NOT GLOSS.
Old 1/19/05, 03:59 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by jpony645@January 19, 2005, 5:57 PM
The fiberglass panels can be stripped with oven cleaner, IIRC.
Cool, never heard that one.

As far as paint, I used the paint from NPD and it worked great.
Old 1/19/05, 04:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey thanks for the tips i will start tonight. I got new panels with no speaker holes, so no prob on that. I will get on it right away and take pics during the process for anyone else who needs help. I had painted my other car but just wanted advice. thanks again :worship: