1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Looking for makes/models with front fender vents?

Search this Thread

Old 10/3/05, 01:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

For a quick reference of what the heck I am talking about, since I am now modifying my car I have been thinking that the smooth non-indented sides of the 69' Mustang are screaming for some type of forward vent on the front fender, kind of ala the Ring Brothers signature look that they seem to be doing some type of on all their Mustangs. The original red and grey car were too in your face for my liking but there newest car has a much more subtle one that I like, I think it may even be from a new t-bird?!?!?!?!?

So what I'm looking for is as many makes and models you can come up with that have had any kind of front fendervent on them. If it can be made funstional on the Stang even better but not crucial at all.
Old 10/3/05, 01:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Wowwwwwwwwww, that's one mean machine, and one gigantic pic.....looks like Foose's got some competition...what car show does this pic come from...
Old 10/3/05, 01:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by montreal ponies@October 3, 2005, 1:40 PM
Wowwwwwwwwww, that's one mean machine, and one gigantic pic.....looks like Foose's got some competition...what car show does this pic come from...
I got it off of a different old thread of mine that someone revived with new info, it waqs taken at the Route 66 cruise-in in Springfield, IL I guess.

So listen, long time since we talked about it, but are you still in need of a hood to cut for your shaker? I am down in Southern Mass all this week hacking up my parts car so I can hall everything that is good in my pickup back to NH. Once I finally get it home I can power wash it and take some pics if you are still in need.
Old 10/4/05, 09:12 AM
Team Mustang Source

Hi Richard, i will know probably by friday if i still need a hood...a friend of mine who owns 6 Mustangs if looking in his garage if he can find me an original Mach1 shaker hood.....if he doesn't, i might consider your offer ...still looking for a complete shaker assembly....might get lucky and get the top part of the shaker(scoop) from that same friend...looked on e-bay a few times for original ones, but man they go for $1300 to $2000..that's just plain crasy....will be going to Carlisle in the spring so i might get lucky there...
Will post new pics of the resto soon, we are currently working on the quarters(blocking), sandblasting parts...i'm also having the 351W redone with a bit more HP than original..going roller, changing cam, pistons, intake and expecting to get an honest 425HP- 475pf-torque...
Are you bringing back that hood even though i might not need it?
Thanks Rich
P.S If you ever happen to see a 28spline 3.5 ratio locked differential gear....i'm interested...
Old 10/4/05, 11:29 AM

wow cool
Old 10/4/05, 12:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by montreal ponies@October 4, 2005, 9:15 AM
Hi Richard, i will know probably by friday if i still need a hood...a friend of mine who owns 6 Mustangs if looking in his garage if he can find me an original Mach1 shaker hood.....if he doesn't, i might consider your offer ...still looking for a complete shaker assembly....might get lucky and get the top part of the shaker(scoop) from that same friend...looked on e-bay a few times for original ones, but man they go for $1300 to $2000..that's just plain crasy....will be going to Carlisle in the spring so i might get lucky there...
Will post new pics of the resto soon, we are currently working on the quarters(blocking), sandblasting parts...i'm also having the 351W redone with a bit more HP than original..going roller, changing cam, pistons, intake and expecting to get an honest 425HP- 475pf-torque...
Are you bringing back that hood even though i might not need it?
Thanks Rich
P.S If you ever happen to see a 28spline 3.5 ratio locked differential gear....i'm interested...
Fair enough, tell ya what, I'll pack it up anyway just in case, if you don't need it I can always use it to go sleding in my back yard this winter.
Old 10/4/05, 02:46 PM
Cobra R Member

Hmmmm, it's kind of hard to tell what's going on on that black car in shadow, Pak. do you have any other ideas/examples of what you're lookin' for? I'm diggin the spirit of your question, but I'm just not quite gettin' exactly where you are trying to acheive. Sorry for being so thick-headed.
Old 10/7/05, 10:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by BLAKE@October 4, 2005, 2:49 PM
Hmmmm, it's kind of hard to tell what's going on on that black car in shadow, Pak. do you have any other ideas/examples of what you're lookin' for? I'm diggin the spirit of your question, but I'm just not quite gettin' exactly where you are trying to acheive. Sorry for being so thick-headed.
LOL, hmmm, trying to think of another way to say it without sounding sarcastic.

OK, look at the front fender. Now pretend the tire is a clock, now look at about 2 o'clock. See the gray and red vent? Kinda looks like one maybe even off of a BMW.

My question at it's most basic is what cars through out history had a front fender vent on them like this? I'd like to review options so I can see what I can cut off of what to use on my car? Maybe?
Old 10/10/05, 04:27 PM
Bullitt Member

pak, i've always been kind of fond of the fake door vents of the 71 dodge charger R/T.

http://www.transamcuda.com/gallery/WES%20C...ARGER%20R-T.JPG
Old 10/10/05, 04:33 PM
Bullitt Member

i also like the front fender vents on the 69 T/A

http://www.firebirdtaclub.com/images/1969T...yAlbertson2.jpg

i have actually been considering replacing my shelby side scoops with these at some point since i'm not real ahppy with the ones that are on it now.
Old 10/11/05, 09:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

There ye go, B get's it, thanks Bro! That is exactly what my request is, keep 'em coming please.

Wow, those are some big azz shark gills on that 71' Charger, I have never seen those or the ones on the T/A for that matter.

I know there are lots of cars with a variety of vents on them I am just drawing a blank on most of them for some reason. Of course one of the most famous is the ones used in the 70's and 80's on the TA's and Z28s but I wouldn't want to get caught adding that to a mustang.
Old 10/11/05, 01:39 PM
Cobra R Member

Ah, I see, I figured that's what you were talking about. I'm dumb.

Maybe fender trim from a '55 T-bird?
http://www.portholeauthority.com/thunderbi...D55hash-lrg.jpg

Here's a BMW with an integrated marker light. Kinda cool.
http://www.ecarboutique.com/images/u...tems/s7260.jpg

That's just what Google gave up, I'll keep my eyes peeled or other stuff.
Old 10/11/05, 02:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

There ya go Blakester, that's it, that's the ticket. I kinda like the fake trim on that t-bird, still ford and still looks good even if it isn't functional, hmmmm, I'll have to find a profile shot of one and phot chop it maybe.

What was that 2 seater roadster that bMW had? Was it the Z3? I thought I remember one on that car too that was pretty cool.
Old 10/11/05, 02:53 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by pakrat@October 11, 2005, 3:15 PM
There ya go Blakester, that's it, that's the ticket. I kinda like the fake trim on that t-bird, still ford and still looks good even if it isn't functional, hmmmm, I'll have to find a profile shot of one and phot chop it maybe.

What was that 2 seater roadster that bMW had? Was it the Z3? I thought I remember one on that car too that was pretty cool.

Good! Glad I finally figured it out.

Classic T-bird would be cool, and you could paint a dark charcoal or something underneath it so that it looks more functional. I'm attaching a photochop.

I believe the BMW one is from a 3 series, or M3. I bet I can find it again... here we go:
http://www.ecarboutique.com/accessories/it...PARTMENT_ID=136

Available in black or chrome too.

The Z3 vent looks pretty cool, and quite functional. Looks more involved to graft in though...
Old 10/12/05, 10:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks Blake, I'll have to see what else I can find thru that car boutique site.

So is that a new M3 then? I can't say I recall seeing that on a car before anywhere, looks more vintage though. The Price is a little steep but boy does it look functional. Not sure how I feel about the marker light on it but I am thinking that could be modified with some type of custom emblem, maybe even a running horse logo?!?!??!

As for the 55 tbird one that seems by far the easiest to apply (same for the above I guess after reading), and the car is being painted all Charcoal gray anyway, the Tungsten Gray Mustang color actually. Any idea who offers a part like this?

The Z3 one is defintily way cool but your right, requires chopping and grafting instead of just sticking it in place or drilling a hole for a stud. I would also cut the gills down to 3 instead of 4, the whole 3 theme makes way more sense on a Stang to me.
Old 10/12/05, 10:42 AM
Cobra R Member

Very cool! I LOVE Tungsten Grey. You could definately get away with using a darker grey for the part behind the "vent" if you went with the T-bird piece, maybe even a flat or satin finish as well. It'd be subtle/cool.

I think that other one is for an M3. there are a few different versions. This one looks pretty cool:
Old 10/12/05, 11:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by BLAKE@October 12, 2005, 10:45 AM
Very cool! I LOVE Tungsten Grey. You could definately get away with using a darker grey for the part behind the "vent" if you went with the T-bird piece, maybe even a flat or satin finish as well. It'd be subtle/cool.

I think that other one is for an M3. there are a few different versions. This one looks pretty cool:

Yeah agreed, it's ironically the type of gunmetal look I was originally looking for, the fact that it is a ford and a mustang color is a huge bonus. Once again procrastination pays of for the Pakmeister. . You're right, a subtle shade difference would look nice behind the t-bird piece, maybe even argent or black like the original side scoops, even maybe adding some screen vent behind it would add to the affect.

That new one you posted looks good too. That reminds me of the types used on a variety of years of Astin Martin's. I can't believe they actually have a body vent section on that website you posted, amazing, even though there really is only one fender choice. I think this one would have looked cool painted body color over the black.

http://www.ecarboutique.com/accessories/it...PARTMENT_ID=136

But sadly it specifically says: This is NOT a left and right product to be used on the fender of the car. If it only comes as shown I'm hard pressed to think of where the heck you would put it though?!??!?! I guess the good news would be though that the orignal one you posted is priced per pair at least and not each.