1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

LED instrument panel lighting

Search this Thread

Old 2/5/11, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LED instrument panel lighting

Hey guys, I just upgraded my cluster to a 6 gauge Auto-meter setup. I'm happy with everything except, the cheesy colored rudder bulb condoms. I went with the green covers and the color at night is not uniform and is very week in brightness. So, I have found online green LED bulbs for my application. I only purchased one to see what kind of results I will get. My questions are, 1: can LED bulbs be dimmed using a stock headlight switch dimmer? And 2: will the bulbs be affected by the stock headlight switch? The only thing the LED place told me is, "do it at your own risk!". Thanks guy, I really want to spend $10.00 per bulb for now answers of weather I gonna "f" them up or not. He did say that I could do damage to my wire harness if I tried to dim them. I don't know. I have never used LED lights for instrument lighting before and don't want to screw anything up. What are your thoughts?? Thanks for reading.
Old 2/5/11, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by sixty6fastback
Hey guys, I just upgraded my cluster to a 6 gauge Auto-meter setup. I'm happy with everything except, the cheesy colored rudder bulb condoms. I went with the green covers and the color at night is not uniform and is very week in brightness. So, I have found online green LED bulbs for my application. I only purchased one to see what kind of results I will get. My questions are, 1: can LED bulbs be dimmed using a stock headlight switch dimmer? And 2: will the bulbs be affected by the stock headlight switch? The only thing the LED place told me is, "do it at your own risk!". Thanks guy, I really want to spend $10.00 per bulb for now answers of weather I gonna "f" them up or not. He did say that I could do damage to my wire harness if I tried to dim them. I don't know. I have never used LED lights for instrument lighting before and don't want to screw anything up. What are your thoughts?? Thanks for reading.
Stock dimmer doesn't work with the LEDs. The guys at The Mustang Project in Texas were very helpful. Give them a call and tell them what you're after.

Cheers,
-Patrick
Old 2/6/11, 01:09 AM
FR500 Member

Try checking out this site for LED bulbs if you haven't already.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/
I believe they carry LEDs that can be dimmed.
Old 2/6/11, 09:18 PM

Ok, so I got my $9.00 LED bulb in and it's perfect! And it dims!!! Now I am on the hunt for cheaper LED bulbs. Where is everyone getting theirs??