1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Interior Painting Project

Search this Thread

Old 10/30/05, 07:42 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK. I'm drug out every single bit of my interior paintable pieces. I've placed them throughout the double bay garage by color (two tone ivey for 68 fastback) and ready to paint. Did all the prep work and I'm ready to paint. I got a bunch of paint from Virginia Mustang which has what appeared to be a good match on color. The paint is so incredibly thin that I'm on about the 200 millionth coat and it just doesn't seem to be going good. I've prepped, primed, and shaken the cans till I can't feel my arms.

So basically I'm a little dissapointed with the paint. If you try to put much on at all it runs. Anyone know a DECENT interior paint company I can order some paint from? I don't have equipment to do anything other than rattle can.

Also, trying to paint the actual dash has been a bit frustrating. Car is gutted except for the electrical inside. Just trying to get the angles to get in and paint with rattle cans has been, somewhat challenging.

Old 10/31/05, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your paint is the Rainbow brand, throw it out. Its junk. The best I've fournd is the SEM brand, found only at body shop supply places. A trip through the Yellow Pages ought to find one near you. Good luck.
Old 10/31/05, 10:07 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
hey...you kinda look like Kurt Busch....but yeah...I would've done exactly what you did and trusted the product, but since you know its not gonna work...dont know what to tell ya.
Old 10/31/05, 11:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have never ordered any of the items in the stang cataloges but I have redone interiors on non stang cars with good success. I had thought about using the mustang specific stuff when I reassemble my interior but now that I hear this I think I may stick with what I know.

What I have used in the past is the duplicolor brand which is available just about anywhere. Here is what I have learned, like any paint prep is everything!!!!! Wear gloves, wash with simple green wery well , rinse well and then do a wipe down with acetone and let evaporate, this will make the surface a bit tacky to aid in adhesion. You should do light multiple coats for the best affect but no where near 20 million of them, 2 to 3 light coats should do it, do not try to cover the whole surface in one coat, some see thru is OK for the first one, the duplicolor dries to the touch in minutes and cures in a few hours so only leave about 1o-minutes between coats and never touch it with your bare hands during the process.

I have also recently seen some prep dyes that are desigend to aid in adhesion like a primer but I belive they do pretty much the same as the acetone wash down I found to work well. I also feel that for many hard plastic vinyl surfaces that actual paint like krylon works better and that the dye will always work better on soft vinyl, each case is different though. Carpet retains the dye the worst of all, I do not recommend it for that applictaion no matter what they say unless it is a small isolated bleach stain or fade that you do not mind refinishing often.

One last note that might not pertain to your colors as much as it does to black but where only a gloss or flat is available and the original item is more of a semi gloss I paint the first few coats with gloss and then I hit a final light mist coat of the flat on top and it come sout just right.