1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Interesting find.....

Search this Thread

Old 1/5/05, 03:22 PM
Service Manager

Received 447 Likes on 221 Posts
Unless you guys frequent the fox forums you don't know me...I moderate that but stay busy so time is often limited to check in there....But I have a few vintage stangs....but recently taking apart a project car we found something interesting....

The car is a '68 Coupe...orginal 6 cylinder car. When decoding the data plate I noticed the color code was blank...which usually indicates a custom color back then...it's a very light metallic blue for the original color...but here is the kicker....evidence of a red C stripe and the original interior was RED! VERY odd combo to have a blue car with red interior....

You can see the original patch of blue an the red inside the door under the weatherstrip....
Old 1/5/05, 03:35 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Howdy Paul! Good to see ya in here.

That is craaaazy. I knew they'd do custom colors back in the day, but I figured the same color-clash rules would still apply. You gonna restore it back to original?
Old 1/5/05, 03:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Weird..... :scratch:

Howdy Paul.
Old 1/5/05, 04:50 PM
Service Manager

We are going to use the original color because we like it but we are building a Trans Am Restomod replica out of it
Old 1/5/05, 06:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Anything was possible back then. I wonder if a Marti report would shed any light on the color combo?
Old 1/5/05, 06:06 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Was that blue used on any other Ford models?
Old 1/6/05, 07:58 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by svopaul@January 5, 2005, 6:53 PM
we are building a Trans Am Restomod replica out of it
Oooooooh, that sounds like fun.
Old 1/6/05, 10:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

The original color looks a tad more aqua to me than blue, like it was a t-bird color. I do not know what you know of the cars history, but an old beat up interior isn't necessarily the original one for sure, i have just seen so many cars that looked warn original and were actually total frankensteins. I was going to suggest a Marti report as well. Do all the VIN's match? Honestly regardless of how bad the combo was, if this turns out to be something special than it would be a real shame to modify it. I mean what if it turned out to be some type of 1 of 1 patriotic red-white--blue special or something. For the $40 bucks I think it's worth finding out.
Old 1/7/05, 07:48 AM
Service Manager

I've been working on vintage Mustangs for nearly 20 years now and I've seen many oddball and freakish things over the years....so I'm familiar with researching things....The VIN's all match and there is even red on the dash under the dash pad at the base of the windshield....definitely had red interior...and the color is all over as well and is original. I agree that I think it is a Tbird color as well, just need to take a part down to the paint shop and scan it and see what else was available in '68 on other models.

I am quite sure this is probably a 1 of 1 combo because it's quite ugly...but it's a factory 6 cylinder, auto car and in reality restoring it back to original and finding a buyer I think would most definitely be finding a needle in a haystack....everyone that sees it says the same thing....Yuck!

Now if it was a factory GT or Cobra Jet car then that would be a different story....

There is a free way to find out info on your car as well....you can call Ford Customer service and request a History 999 report . They go back in the archives and research your VIN(anything back to 1947) and send you a report of the date your car was produced, options, color etc....I've got these for all my cars. The owner of the car has to be the one to request it. Once the report comes in, I'll report back with what it says
Old 1/7/05, 12:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by svopaul@January 7, 2005, 8:51 AM
I've been working on vintage Mustangs for nearly 20 years now and I've seen many oddball and freakish things over the years....so I'm familiar with researching things....The VIN's all match and there is even red on the dash under the dash pad at the base of the windshield....definitely had red interior...and the color is all over as well and is original. I agree that I think it is a Tbird color as well, just need to take a part down to the paint shop and scan it and see what else was available in '68 on other models.

I am quite sure this is probably a 1 of 1 combo because it's quite ugly...but it's a factory 6 cylinder, auto car and in reality restoring it back to original and finding a buyer I think would most definitely be finding a needle in a haystack....everyone that sees it says the same thing....Yuck!

Now if it was a factory GT or Cobra Jet car then that would be a different story....

There is a free way to find out info on your car as well....you can call Ford Customer service and request a History 999 report . They go back in the archives and research your VIN(anything back to 1947) and send you a report of the date your car was produced, options, color etc....I've got these for all my cars. The owner of the car has to be the one to request it. Once the report comes in, I'll report back with what it says
You might be able to come up with the color here as well, this resource has proven to be pretty good for me at least in the past. www.autocolorlibrary.com

Good luck with the project.
Old 1/7/05, 06:17 PM
Service Manager

Originally posted by pakrat+January 7, 2005, 1:07 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (pakrat @ January 7, 2005, 1:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-svopaul@January 7, 2005, 8:51 AM

You might be able to come up with the color here as well, this resource has proven to be pretty good for me at least in the past. www.autocolorlibrary.com

Good luck with the project. [/b][/quote]
Thanks, that site is a great reference. The only thing they show online for 68 is the Mustang/Fairlane/Falcon colors....I've got a feeling this one might be Tbird. I'll get down to my paint supplier with a part and look through the info there and see what I find...No rush as this is a longer term project that belongs to the guy who works with me.

My 65 and 67s will be finished before this one
Old 1/10/05, 09:40 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by svopaul@January 7, 2005, 8:20 PM

You must be one patient guy Paul. 9 years and counting, and I'm not done with one car yet.
Old 1/10/05, 09:44 AM
Service Manager

Originally posted by BLAKE+January 10, 2005, 10:43 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BLAKE @ January 10, 2005, 10:43 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-svopaul@January 7, 2005, 8:20 PM

You must be one patient guy Paul. 9 years and counting, and I'm not done with one car yet. [/b][/quote]
LOL....I am a little bit....just can't rush things. I had a rusty 65 Fastback for 15 years and never finished it due to the amount of work and little time...but sold it and bought a rust free '67 and my rust free '65 that I have now I have had for about 4 years now and it will be finished this year. SO much less work without the rust.

At the same time though I have been building my business and moved cross country 3 years ago so that has hampered my progress...but now my shop has grown enough that I do full service work and can also take care of my own projects a little faster than I could before