1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

How does this 66 look to ya?

Search this Thread

Old 10/10/05, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am a newbie. Found this 66 Mustang and wanted your opinion on it based on the images. $9,900 is the asking price.

What do I need to watch out for?

Thanks for your help.

Old 10/11/05, 03:19 PM
Cobra R Member

It would help to know what region you're in, as prices can fluctuate according to location. (For instance, it's not unusual to find a rust free Arizona car, but rust free cars are rare in Chicago)

Normal first-time buyer's issues have been discussed in the FAQ at the top of the forum:
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=4132

Now for my thoughts on this particular car. Assuming it is not too rusty, and not full of Bondo, that's a nice straight car. It's also not particularly rare or collectible, but looks like a wonderful driver. That being the case, close to $10K for that car would be highway robbery. 6K (again, depending on your location) would be about the max I'd want to pay for that car, which in my brief estimation is a low option (factory C code two barrel 289, no power steering, no power brakes, A/C with no compressor), but straight car. I'd also be curious to know the condition of the brakes/steering/suspension. The car appears to have had a quick fresh coat of blue on the engine, and some new chrome bits to try and distract from other things that are less than perfect.
Old 10/11/05, 09:03 PM
FR500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
four words...look under the car!! check the frame rails front and rear for rust and rotting...
Old 10/11/05, 09:17 PM

Blake,
Thanks for the info.

The car is located in Georgia, I am in Detroit.

There are a few others I am looking into around in the Detroit area, actually two 67s that are 7600 and 5500 each. One with a 351, the other with a 289. Both notchback coupes.

I am looking for something that I can drive, not a showcar, but that I can sell later at no depreciation. I work for Ford, ( worked on 2005 Mustang ) and would love a new one but I can't see sinking 25K into immediate depreciation. I live 2 miles from work, and have a winter vehicle, plus my wife's car, so I can actually be impractical and have a classic stang.
Old 10/11/05, 09:19 PM

Big D,
Will check under the car, too. Thanks
Old 10/12/05, 06:33 AM
Cobra Member

If you look in the engine compartment, the hinges for the hood have rust in them, and the top of the shocks as well.

The red hoses, the upper radiator hose are old, there's rust down behind the alternator.

If you look at the water pump, you can see it looks like the whole engine was sprayed blue while it was sitting in the car, looks like the paint didn't get to some spots.

Look at the fender bolts, the screws on the clamps, etc, etc.

Look at the bolts in the trunk lid and the rust inside the lip behind it.

There's bound to be some surface rust on a 40 year old car, but it looks to me like someone took a car that was probably not in the best shape, did a quick spray and some chrome pieces, and put it up for sale.

If you know somebody local you trust and you're REALLY interested in the car, get them to take a look at it. But I wouldn't buy this car from a distance.
Old 10/12/05, 07:46 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by S197-design@October 11, 2005, 10:20 PM
Blake,
Thanks for the info.

The car is located in Georgia, I am in Detroit.

There are a few others I am looking into around in the Detroit area, actually two 67s that are 7600 and 5500 each. One with a 351, the other with a 289. Both notchback coupes.

I am looking for something that I can drive, not a showcar, but that I can sell later at no depreciation. I work for Ford, ( worked on 2005 Mustang ) and would love a new one but I can't see sinking 25K into immediate depreciation. I live 2 miles from work, and have a winter vehicle, plus my wife's car, so I can actually be impractical and have a classic stang.
Very cool! In what capacity did you work on the '05? I sure do love mine. Not quite as much as my 66, but then again, I didn't design and build the '05 myself, so that's understandable.

Aside from the other advice (have it looked over by knowlegable classic Mustang person, it's all about rust, etc..) I would say to be patient. There are a lot of great cars out there, but every one of them has 40 years of history, and you want to make sure whatever your getting doesn't have a really checkered past. It might be the 3rd car you look at, it might be the 30th.

Good luck!
Old 10/12/05, 09:24 AM
Service Manager

Received 447 Likes on 221 Posts
I agree it is a nice looking car but I too think the price is too steep....especially considering that the A/C compressor is missing and A/C non functioning. For that kind of money this car should be PERFECT! The underhood detail is lacking....appears to be done in a hurry with all the runs, the washer bag is missing but was there as evidenced by the mounting bracket and the squirters are missing from the cowl. The area in the trunk does not look like it was properly prepped prior to painting which is why it is flaking.

Overall the car gives a good appearance but should be examined underneath and see if any panels have been replaced or repaired. It is also a 2V car and not the more desireable A or K code which would command a higher price. I agree it appears to be a $6K car....not a $10K car.
Old 10/12/05, 09:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah agreed. What was SD's old saying? A little bondo and a little paint can make a Mustang what it ain't? My guess is that the cowl leaks like a siv too. I highly doubt that received the enourmous amount of expense and attention required based on how the easy to do things are treated.

Did any one see the enormous amount of tension on that poor old throttle spring?
Old 10/12/05, 10:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

I say pass on this one as well. Agree with what others have said, no frills coupe with a hasty spray job and no pictures underneath. And let's not forget the "C" word: cowl. That is one job that many of these cars need and it's a PIA to do. Keep looking, it's hard, I know I looked for a year and the car I found still had issues. You will find the right car for you.
Old 10/12/05, 10:13 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by pakrat@October 12, 2005, 10:59 AM

Did any one see the enormous amount of tension on that poor old throttle spring?
Yeah, but I think that's factory. Isn't that what that big bracket is for? /sarcasm

Old 10/12/05, 10:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 116 Likes on 86 Posts
This one, at that asking price, has been gussied up to fool most of the people most of the time.

Don't let it fool you.

"Ooh - look at the bright shiny object!" "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."