1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

flat black hood or......

Search this Thread

Old 4/20/05, 07:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've read that some people choose to use a very dull base-coat clear-coat black paint for their Mach hoods instead of the flat black paint.....they say it is easier to clean and wax and look better too...! I kind of like the idea of having a nice coat of clear over my paint.....what do you guys think?
Old 4/20/05, 08:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by montreal ponies@April 20, 2005, 7:15 PM
I've read that some people choose to use a very dull base-coat clear-coat black paint for their Mach hoods instead of the flat black paint.....they say it is easier to clean and wax and look better too...! I kind of like the idea of having a nice coat of clear over my paint.....what do you guys think?
i have PPG's hot rod black on all the blackout stuff on my car. it is flat black base clear. in fact it is double flat the basecoat hos no gloss whatsover and the clear has a lot of flattening agent so it's prtty darn flat as well.

http://www.1969stang.com/gallery/bnickel69gt
Old 4/20/05, 09:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Correct me if i'm wrong, but you can't use wax on your flat black paint, otherwise you'll stain it right!
Old 4/21/05, 11:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by montreal ponies@April 20, 2005, 9:23 PM
Correct me if i'm wrong, but you can't use wax on your flat black paint, otherwise you'll stain it right!
That is all too painfully true, particularly if you have the textured 70' type flat black as I have on my car. It takes alot of scrub brushing to try and undo it believe me. I was planning on doing gloss or semi gloss this time around for ease of maintanence, defeats the purpose of the whole thing since it should be for glare reduction but I'm more interested in the look not the function this time. I didn't think it would be possible to clear over a flat paint though, I wasn't sure how it would look.

B, did you put flat clear all over you car or just the black?
Old 4/21/05, 09:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Will probably use a semi-gloss black paint with clear, i mean i don't care about the reflections at all.....i want ease of maintenance....and i think it will look cool too...
Old 4/22/05, 05:37 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally posted by bnickel+April 20, 2005, 10:38 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bnickel @ April 20, 2005, 10:38 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-montreal ponies@April 20, 2005, 7:15 PM
i have PPG's hot rod black on all the blackout stuff on my car. it is flat black base clear. in fact it is double flat the basecoat hos no gloss whatsover and the clear has a lot of flattening agent so it's prtty darn flat as well.

http://www.1969stang.com/gallery/bnickel69gt
[/b][/quote]

How's she wax? I have my painted with an epoxy . . .and while it looks great it does smear rather easy, and forget about waxing it. (Even though I was told I could, and later found out the hard way I couldn't)

I'm thinking about either having a lite coat of clear (with flat agent) sprayed over or going your route.
Old 4/22/05, 12:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by pakrat+April 21, 2005, 11:15 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pakrat @ April 21, 2005, 11:15 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-montreal ponies@April 20, 2005, 9:23 PM
That is all too painfully true, particularly if you have the textured 70' type flat black as I have on my car. It takes alot of scrub brushing to try and undo it believe me. I was planning on doing gloss or semi gloss this time around for ease of maintanence, defeats the purpose of the whole thing since it should be for glare reduction but I'm more interested in the look not the function this time. I didn't think it would be possible to clear over a flat paint though, I wasn't sure how it would look.

B, did you put flat clear all over you car or just the black?
[/b][/quote]

just the black and it can be waxed, i've already waxed the tailpanel because it streaked real bad the first time i washed it and i couldn't get it to look right, iwas told i could wax it so i decided to give it a try, worked great and didn't really make the flat paint shiny like someone said it would, it did make the black much deeper though.
Old 4/24/05, 07:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Good article in Mustang monthly about what route to take when it comes to painting hoods on Mach 1's and Bosse's......as i can see, there seems to be two school taughts on this, those that really want to keep the original look and don't care about flat black and those concerned about maintenance and so forth and going with glossy black.....that's probably what i'll end up doing too....the glossy way....