1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Engine of choice for a 66 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 8/8/12, 07:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine of choice for a 66 coupe

I have a 66 couple that I'll start putting money into soon. I have a old 302 in it right now with unknown mileage and like to be in the range of 550 to 700 HP. So what crate engine is good for those numbers? (other than the coyote 302) and what is a good transmission? (it's a automatic)
Old 8/9/12, 08:48 AM

A couple of things to consider when looking for your power plant is what will the engine be used for. Racing or street? Or both? Will it mate with a manual or automatic transmission? Will you need OD? Do you care about MPG or is it strictly HP? EFI or Carburated?

If you are looking for that much HP out of the 302, you will have to consider a stroker kit with a power adder blower/turbo. In a 66 or 65 you might be better off with a 351W stroked out to a 427. That set up with street compression can achieve the HP that you are looking for and will drop into your mustang without removing the shock towers.

Go to the coast high performance website for info. I have a couple buddies that got long blocks/kit from them. Great dyno numbers. Both where for fox body mustangs.
Old 8/9/12, 09:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 67Stang351C
A couple of things to consider when looking for your power plant is what will the engine be used for. Racing or street? Or both? Will it mate with a manual or automatic transmission? Will you need OD? Do you care about MPG or is it strictly HP? EFI or Carburated?

If you are looking for that much HP out of the 302, you will have to consider a stroker kit with a power adder blower/turbo. In a 66 or 65 you might be better off with a 351W stroked out to a 427. That set up with street compression can achieve the HP that you are looking for and will drop into your mustang without removing the shock towers.

Go to the coast high performance website for info. I have a couple buddies that got long blocks/kit from them. Great dyno numbers. Both where for fox body mustangs.
Thanks for the info, I was looking to do a monster street car only for the weekends. I am planing on a top to bottom restore and wanna do it right the first time.