1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

door lock stuck shut, won't unlock - how to release lock?

Search this Thread

Old 5/8/12, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
door lock stuck shut, won't unlock - how to release lock?

lol, this evening is full of fun... I happened to lock my drivers door, and the mechanism will not release when I try to unlock with the key. I don't have a door panel removal tool, so I'm kinda stuck for now.

Am I gonna have to find a slimjim and get someone to try and release the lock? other options? I really don't want to play dukes of hazzard with a mustang!
Old 5/11/12, 12:03 PM
V6 Member

Mine did that a couple times. Just got in and messed with the inside lock til it came open. Then I sprayed a bunch of WD40 in towards the locking mech. Haven't had a problem since. Also, roll your window all the way up before you spray a buncha lube in there. It's a pain to get off the window, haha.
I always wanted to be like the Dukes of Hazzard... Maybe just leave it next time.
Old 5/12/12, 06:09 AM

thanks

Thanks mhaymes67, hopefully I have similar luck
Old 5/16/12, 06:15 PM

I managed to get my door open, had to pull the lever that the internal spring is attached to..... the door will open if I leave it unlocked, but if I lock it again, it gets stuck and have to pull the spring lever...

It's pretty hard to see in there, anybody know exactly what I need to replace in there? the spring? rods? other?

*edit*
It appears the latch itself is ok, I can trip the teeth, and pull the inner latch and it releases fine.... but when the door is 'locked', the thumb button does nothing.. it works when the door is unlocked, but if locked, there's nothing there, it just feels 'weak'.

I'm not sure what I should be replacing?

Thanks for any insight ya'll might have.

Last edited by phendyr; 5/16/12 at 07:49 PM.
Old 7/8/12, 04:16 PM

*update*
well I managed to finally get around to inspecting the door latch more closely...I tried spraying some white lithium grease on the inner workings but that did not help, the lock still will not release once the door is shut and locked....

I tried taking the small spring off to replace it, and I may found my culprit - the lip that the top spring hook hooks onto, seems to have broken, I can't tell cuz I can't see, just by feel, but there's no hole for the hook to slip into (I have a replacement latch to look at for reference while I'm feeling around)... perhaps this little tab of metal rusted, became week and wouldn't stay in place as the spring pulled on it?

*edit* it didn't rust off, I just couldn't feel it. d'oh

Regardless, now I feel I should replace the entire latch mechanism, but don't see how I can with not being able to see and access everything?... can the door come apart even more to get in there or is it actually possible to replace this latch w/o removing the window and its parts, and tearing the door apart? is there any instruction/how-to for doing this?

as of now, I can't shut the door, because w/o the spring it won't latch, so any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited by phendyr; 7/8/12 at 08:53 PM.
Old 7/8/12, 08:46 PM

success

well, in the spirit of quality garage time, I dove in and started taking things apart lol... eventually I got the latch out, and managed to get the new one in, and while staring at the old one, worked to install the new one by feel.... what a pain! but after putting it in and taking it out a half-dozen times (yah I know there's a joke just begging to be shared there) I finally got it right and it's working.

The only downer is that I could not get the rod fastener on the threaded rod to snap onto the rod, it just wouldn't reach, and I tried each way possible to put the thing on... so I rigged it with some haywire and tightened it down good. *shrug*

I'm just glad I can get it on the road and let her breathe a bit!