1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Differential oil for 1969 6-cylinder Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 11/7/23, 07:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Differential oil for 1969 6-cylinder Mustang?

Hi everyone,
I am new to classic cars and need help to get on the right track.
I recently got a 1969 200cu in coupe with 3-speed manual trans. Mosty original parts, the previous owner upgraded 4 disc breaks and a new radiator and kept the interior in good shape. I plan to daily drive it so I wanted to have all the maintenance done and replace any worn-out parts.

From the date plate I find it has 3.08:1 gear. I plan to change the diff oil but could not find assuring information for oil type. Does it needs friction modfier?
Also does anyone know the clutch and flywheel size? The current ones shakes a lot when starting in 1st gear at lower rpm, but no problem going when I rev it higher. Still drives fine but a little annoying.

Things I've done so far at a shop:
Carburetor rebuid -- pertronix ignition and coil on the way
New gas tank and fuel sending unit
New exthust pipe and flowmaster muffler to replace the old rust one
My next plan is to replace old suspension parts, I think it has original coil spring now and they are probably bad.
Old 11/8/23, 09:19 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,861 Likes on 2,112 Posts
Hello & Welcome

First Thing I Advise is a FACTORY Shop Manual Set!

It is 5 Volumes! If You Are Going to get a CD Make Sure it is Name Brand as Lots of Rip Off Copies Out There!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/13240054673...3ABFBM7siZ-_Vi

I Like Books Myself and Here is a Nice Set at a great Price!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19601599875...Bk9SR-zImfv1Yg

As Far as Your Question a Good 90 Weight gear Oil Will Be Fine For the Car! I Doubt You Have Traction Lok Requiring Hypoid Additive. With the Rear Wheels Off the Ground Spin One Wheel! If It Goes in Same Direction on Other Side it is Trak Lok. It it Spins Opposite Way it is an Open Diff!

If You Want to Use Ford Stuff Here You Go!

https://www.motorcraft.com/us/en_us/...ubricants.html

Looks Like Clutch Could Be 9 1/4 or 10 Inch! There is a Probably a Cheat to Figure This Out But I Don't Have a Reliable One! Have the Same Issue in a 64 Dodge! Can't Figure Clutch Size Until I Remove it! Shop Manual May Have Info!

Here Are Some Choices!

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...lutch+kit,1993

Take a Look at This Thread For Some Front End Options on Spring Saddles! A Great Upgrade!

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...ng-out-525752/

KC
The following users liked this post:
CharlieH (11/9/23)
Old 11/9/23, 05:12 PM

Thank you for all the info. I had the diff oil changed and a new gas tank dropped in. It's becoming a better daily driver.
Old 11/9/23, 06:21 PM

The coil springs on the car are still useable but I would like to replace them with the saddles and lower control arms. I just don't want it to sit too high. Should I get one-inch drop springs that were designed for V8s or should I get 6 cylinder springs and cut them if they are too high?
Old 11/10/23, 08:21 AM

Hello,

How About Some More Info on the Car.

Are You Wanting To Upgrade Brakes, Add Disc's If Does Not Have Them Etc.

Add Anti Swaybar if Not Equipped??

What Wheels & Tires Are You Running and Are You Going To Keep What You Have or Change Down The Road??

Are You Going to Keep Existing Engine or Upgrade to V8??

How are You Going to Use The Car?? Just Cruising Around Town or Take on Some Longer Distance Trips??

Is Your Biggest Factor Ride Comfort or Improve Handling??

Can We Get Some Pics and Especially Some Side Shots Showing Current Stance??

KC
Old 11/10/23, 05:06 PM

I would love to share some more info!

The previous owner has done the 4-disc brake and dual brake cylinder for safety. I plan to keep as much original as possible so no engine or trans swap.
I plan to daily drive this car so the suspension upgrade I'm looking for is to just replace the parts that are old. I already know that tie rods, saddles, and lower control arms definitely need to be replaced.
I don't know if it has originial leaf spring and coil spring, it drives fine. So would you recommend keeping them or replacing them with new ones?

As for the tires, I know the current ones aren't great for handling, but they are pretty new so I plan not to change them soon.

Two pics for current ride height refrences

tamstang_09 (11/10/23)
Old 11/10/23, 05:37 PM

Charlie it's a Good Looking Car as Is and If You Like The Stock as Built Look That is Fine. Forgive Me But Back When I Started Driving the 60's Cars they Were Barely Just Older Used Cars and If You Were Running Stock Wheel Caps it Was Mom or Dad's Car and Not Yours So First Thing We Had To Put on a Set of Mags To Dispell That Image so it is Ingrained in Me! My First Car was a 68 Cougar Which Did Come With Dish Mags! So Anyhoo Just Throwing Out An Alternative For You!

Not To Persuade You But My Favorite Original Looking Wheel is the Magnum 500's. A 15x7 or 15X6 With Todays Closest Size
225/60 R15 of an F-60-15 Tire Just Saying! Fills Up the Wheel Wells. This One Pictured is a Tad High in the Rear For My Taste. I Like About an Inch Between top of Tire & Wheel Opening. Of Course That is With a More Aggressive Tire as Shown. If You Go This Direction I Would Change Wheels & Tires First Before Making Any STANCE Adjustments. If You Google and Look at 69-70's And Their Stance I Think You Can Make a More Informed Decision. The Higher in the Back Than Stock Does Not Seem To Gel Like it May Have Back in the Day! Proper Wheel Offset Must Be Factored in as Well! So For My Tastes Just Saying The Car Pictured about an Inch Lower in the Rear Would Be Just Right!

Anyhoo Just thought I Would Throw That Out There For Consideration!

If The Rear Leafs Are Not Squeeky I Would Not Be Too Concerned About Replacing Because It's Not Like It's a Drag Car With a Big Engine Where Spring Wind Up Would Be a Concern!

Here is A Link to the Car if You Would Like To View Further!

These Wheels Pictured May be A Tad Wider Than I Suggested and Tire Size a Bit Bigger as Well!

As Far As Your Question on Cutting The Springs Be Advised It May Give a Stiffer Ride. Best to Get Correct Lowering Springs If you Come To That. I'm Used to That Era of Ford Being a Bit Higher in the Front So it Seems Normal To Me Though I Do Prefer Filling Up Wheel Wheel Proportionately. I Usually Like The Far End of What Ford Offered as The Larger Wheel Option. Not a Fan of 18's or 20's on The Older Cars. I Like Some RUBBER on the Tires as it Were!

I Got to thinking I Hope it Has Power Steering if You Go With a Bigger Wheel & Tire!

https://www.classiccarliquidators.co...0-ford-mustang

First & Second Car 68 Cougar & 70 Charger! Year 1978
tamstang_09 (11/10/23)