1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Console parts for 71 to 73

Search this Thread

Old 6/10/05, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greetings all.
I am new to this and this is my first post. Not new to old mustangs just new to this. Have looked at the big 5 printed catalog places. None of them have console parts for 71 to 73 Mustangs. Looking specifically for the console door that your arm rests on. I have a 73 Mach 1 with a blue interior. Have been able to find sources for most other interior parts except the console.
Thanks for the help.
Old 6/15/05, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by 1973Mach1@June 10, 2005, 7:28 AM
Greetings all.
I am new to this and this is my first post. Not new to old mustangs just new to this. Have looked at the big 5 printed catalog places. None of them have console parts for 71 to 73 Mustangs. Looking specifically for the console door that your arm rests on. I have a 73 Mach 1 with a blue interior. Have been able to find sources for most other interior parts except the console.
Thanks for the help.

ebay or private owner is going to be the best bet on that one. you might try CJ pony parts, they have a yard of old mustangs behind their shop. if you are desparate and want to spend a lot of money go to mustangmasters.com. he will most likely have it but will charge all of the money and a little more for it.
Old 6/17/05, 04:21 AM

Thanks pushrod power. Did not know CJ had old mustangs. They are about 2 hours from me. May have to take a trip out there. I am surprized that no one makes reproduction 71 to 73 console doors. Does not look like it would be that difficult for a company with the right equipment.. Every car and console I have seen needs one. At the Carlisle Ford Nationals several weekends ago I had experience with Mustang Masters. They wanted $250 for a used standard Ford AM/FM radio and $ 450 for a reconditioned one. I went to a local junk yard and got 3 for $20.
Originally posted by pushrod power@June 15, 2005, 12:43 PM
ebay or private owner is going to be the best bet on that one. you might try CJ pony parts, they have a yard of old mustangs behind their shop. if you are desparate and want to spend a lot of money go to mustangmasters.com. he will most likely have it but will charge all of the money and a little more for it.
Old 6/17/05, 06:41 AM
V6 Member

1973Mach1,

Where are you located, that you are 2 hours from CJ's? I am about an 45-60 minutes from CJ's in Lancaster PA.

Anyway I have been thinking about putting a long console in my 72 coupe, because I like the way they look, and you are going to shell out big money for one. If you were at the all-ford nats at carlisle you probably saw a few. I saw them anywhere fron $125 for ok shape to $300 for nearly new. I do not think that anyone has repro'd these yet.

About Mustang Masters, I have checked with them on several parts and they are always way to over priced. At the All-Ford Nats the other week, my buddy was looking at a Boss hood scoop for his 70 vert, they wanted $125 for a repro in rough shape, CJ's had the brand-new repro for like $100. I try to steer clear of Mustang masters for purchases but will browse their stuff for ideas.
Old 6/17/05, 12:04 PM

Jes72 mustang,
I am in Jessup MD. My car has the long console blue with Blue Mach 1 Interior. The console door has been dyed and it looks ok but it is not great. I was thinking about taking the console out putting it away and maybe going with one of the After market ones everyone seems to sell. My shifter Bezel is beat up but they are like 90 dollars. Would like to find some really good fitting wet suit material or something like it seat covers. You see my wife to be has dogs and wants them to come with us when we drive the Mustang. New Headliner, new Carpet, original seats, door panels, interior plastic sides. Putting dogs in there just makes me cringe.
Originally posted by jes72mustang@June 17, 2005, 8:44 AM
1973Mach1,

Where are you located, that you are 2 hours from CJ's? I am about an 45-60 minutes from CJ's in Lancaster PA.

Anyway I have been thinking about putting a long console in my 72 coupe, because I like the way they look, and you are going to shell out big money for one. If you were at the all-ford nats at carlisle you probably saw a few. I saw them anywhere fron $125 for ok shape to $300 for nearly new. I do not think that anyone has repro'd these yet.

About Mustang Masters, I have checked with them on several parts and they are always way to over priced. At the All-Ford Nats the other week, my buddy was looking at a Boss hood scoop for his 70 vert, they wanted $125 for a repro in rough shape, CJ's had the brand-new repro for like $100. I try to steer clear of Mustang masters for purchases but will browse their stuff for ideas.
Old 6/17/05, 09:25 PM
V6 Member

I got lucky at carlisle and found an automatic shifter bezel for $5, it needed a new rubber gasket for the slot the shifter moves back and forth in. Found a repro gasket for $10. Brought the bezel home cleaned it all up, repainted the gear markings and it looks almost as good as the brand new repros.

My seats need new cushions, I an thinking about padded seat covers for a temporary fix until I can afford to redo them right. THe rest of the my interior isn't too bad, but I do need a stereo.