1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Body prep advice on a budget needed

Search this Thread

Old 10/8/11, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Body prep advice on a budget needed

Gentlemen,

This morning de-construction was completed. This Monday we would like to begin removing paint/primer, likely with electric sander and/or Aircraft paint remover.

Please consider these factors:
I would love to have it media blasted or soda blasted, but bottom line is we can not afford it.
We are trying to save money because this will be a full restoration of a 1965 Mustang coupe. If you have not seen our blog, I will include a link at the bottom of this post.

We want to take it down to the bare metal, clean and sanitize it with acetone or whatever is necessary, then paint it with aerosol cans of self-etching primer.

Unfortunately, the only air compressor we have is a Campbell-Hausfeld 5 HP, 20 gallon with 8.1 SCFM @ 40 PSI and 6.3 @ 90 PSI. I obviously do not believe this is big enough to run a air DA sander, but if it is, I will buy one. I will also purchase an electric DA sander if this will make the job go easier and produce quality results.

I also have a small and inexpensive Black and Decker palm sander.

These are the tools we have, that and a great deal of ambition and elbow grease to get it done and incentive to save where we can.

I will say the car has a couple of light coats of primer on it now at most. I do not believe there is any actual paint . This should make our efforts easier. You can see the car by going to our blog.

Gentlemen, should I purchase a DA Sander, air or electric, from Lowe's?

With these limited tools and funds, can I still achieve what we are attempting to do?

Thank you very much,

Dan
http://ben65mustang.blogspot.com/
Old 10/8/11, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also need to add- our priming is only to protect the body from rust before the painter gets it.
He can then sand and prime as many coats as he desires but we want to do as much as we can before he gets it .
We just want to get all layers off of it including many layers around the door jams.
Thanks
Dan
Old 10/9/11, 06:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
Yea I doubt your compressor will be able to keep up with the da sander. Maybe keep your eye out for another tank (used) you can hook to your current compressor. More volume! That ele dewalt da looks like it would do the job.
Old 10/9/11, 12:06 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you priced out having it media/soda blasted in your area? Also, you could maybe rent a media stripper? It would save a lot of time verus sanding it down.