1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Begginer Restorer

Search this Thread

Old 7/14/06, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Begginer Restorer

I am just a 15 year old and im really interested in restoring mustangs. But i dont know where to learn. So all of the expert restorers that read this could you give me some advice on how you learned to restore cars, and what your first project car was and what you suggest is a good begginer project.
Thanks
Old 7/15/06, 09:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Welcome to the boards. Thats a good question. I bought my first mustang when I was 14 or 15 too. First remember this is your first attempt so things won't always turn out like you want but thats OK, your learning. First generation coupes are the cheapest, I'd start with one of them. You need to find one with a good frame rails, torque boxes, and shock towers. Have a good base to start with. These things can be fixed but it's not for beginners. Save up and pay the extra for a solid car. Most cars have holes on the floors and lower quarters, thats OK if it isn't too extensive. Try and find some one in your area knowledgeable to go with you to see them. There can be a lot of hidden damage, if you don't know what your looking for. Check out the Barrett-Jackson Shelby http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=38 see all the things we found wrong with that one and it's a very nice car.
Next, buy the FORD shop manuals for the mustang your working on. These are a MUST! There are restoration guides for each year, you should have one of them too. That will help with the details.
You will have more money in the car than it's worth when you sell it for your next project. So if that is not acceptable to you, then save for your dream car and keep it.
You can get almost any part you need but remember one thing. Most aftermarket parts need work to make them fit right. Even the stuff that comes from OEM molds are not as good as NOS Ford parts. Buy hard to find parts as you find them but hold off on things like upholstery until you need them. I bought seat covers and they sat in boxes for years and got a permanent wrinkle from the heat. I had one that was sewn wrong too but couldn't return it because too much time had passed. Get zip lock bags you can write on. Mark and organize ever thing as you take it off. Photograph it before, during, and after assembly.
One more thing, if you want a V8 start with a V8. The suspension is different on the 6 cylinder cars and it's a lot of cost and work to change over. Oh and a wet floor (with windows up) on 64.5s to 68s could be a bad cowl vent leaking. It's fixable but you have to drill out welds to get the cowl grill off. The 69s-73s have a removable grill and don't seem to have as bad of a problem rusting down there.
A wire feed welder is a big help. If you can weld in a patch on an original panel, I feel thats a better way to go then using some of the cheep sheet metal out there. If you weld in a patch, don't over lap the metal if you can. The over lapped area can trap moisture and it can re-rust later.
Take your time with it and have fun.
Old 7/15/06, 09:50 PM

Thank you very much all of that really answered my questions. But i would like to ask you another. How did you learn to restore cars? Did you take any classes in high school that helped you restore your car? If you could answer those it would really be helpful.
Old 7/15/06, 10:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Taking high school shop class can't hurt!
Old 7/16/06, 08:26 AM
Bullitt Member

I first started learning about cars on my first mustang. Things like taking off fenders you can figure out as you go along, because you can see most of the bolts. But as I started working on something I couldn't figure out, I got out the shop manual. My Dad and some friends showed me some things too but most of it I learned on my own. When you do something like rear breaks, do one side at a time so you can refer to the other if you need too. (provided the last guy did the job right). Good how to books help, like a how to for body work. After high school, I did end up going to a local college and got a 2 year degree in automotive diagnostics. I worked in the field for about 10 years and ended up going to a Ford plant to make more money. I did an apprenticeship program there and now I'm in skilled trades as tool maker. You have a great tool I didn't have, the internet. It will help a lot. I hope this helps.
Old 7/16/06, 02:50 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
well i dont have a first gen, but some useful things that i tried were getting part time jobs at places like oil change shops and stuff. hang around people that know alot about cars in general. this could be a boss, older friend, parent, friends parent or whatever. just find people you can learn from. as great as shop manuals and the internet are, they are no match for a real person helping you along.

Like sharp said find a solid car, and screw with stuff (ok so he didnt say it like that, but... lol) one of the things i like to do is find something simple on the car, pull it off and then put it back on. hands on experience is great.

take it slow (slower than me, if your smart lol. ive made alot of rash decisions that have cost me a pretty penny... but i wont get into that) and learn as you go. you dont need to know everything before you start, but learn as much as u can. take care, and good luck!
Old 7/16/06, 08:16 PM
Bullitt Member

well i dont have a first gen, but some useful things that i tried were getting part time jobs at places like oil change shops and stuff. hang around people that know alot about cars in general. this could be a boss, older friend, parent, friends parent or whatever.
He's right, that is a great way to learn. Spike TV has some good shows on the weekend. Muscle car is very good IMO.
Old 7/16/06, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Sharp
He's right, that is a great way to learn. Spike TV has some good shows on the weekend. Muscle car is very good IMO.
i watch that show all the time i watch Overhaulin too ive learned alot from that show too.
Old 7/17/06, 07:10 AM
Bullitt Member

i watch that show all the time i watch Overhauling too ive learned alot from that show too.
Great show, Chip does things right, I'm not sure about Boyd on American Hotrod but it's fun to watch. Plus you can learn from his mistakes.
Old 7/20/06, 08:43 PM

Do you need special kinds of tools, my dad has tons of tools but im not sure if i need anything special for a car. Im sure i do. And how much have you ever spent on a project car (like on average, including parts and the car itself)
Old 7/21/06, 10:25 PM
Bullitt Member

A basic tool set, wrench's, sockets, screw drivers, will be what you need most. Sometimes you need special tools and I just bought them as I went along. Like brake spring tools. Some special tools you only need once so you can rent them.

I had my basic body work done. I paid someone to do the finish body work and paint. It cost me $4000. Probably spent another $3000 in parts. Plus the cost of the car 18 years ago of $1800. (you won't find a solid convertible for $1800 any more.)
Old 7/23/06, 07:51 PM

If i was looking for a project car. I would want good interior, good body, and a good engine. But sense you can never get all three of those quilities in one mustang, whcich one do any of you think is more improtant to have when purchasing a project car? Engine, Exterior, or Interior?
Old 7/23/06, 08:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by monarchbball13
If i was looking for a project car. I would want good interior, good body, and a good engine. But sense you can never get all three of those quilities in one mustang, whcich one do any of you think is more improtant to have when purchasing a project car? Engine, Exterior, or Interior?
A good body is absolutely essential, and I don't mean the exterior. It's what is under and behind the sheet metal that counts. If it is not solid, DON'T BUY IT!
Old 7/25/06, 03:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sharp
Great show, Chip does things right, I'm not sure about Boyd on American Hotrod but it's fun to watch. Plus you can learn from his mistakes.
Oh yes, dubs will look great on this Firebird.... WRONG.
Old 7/25/06, 07:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Oh yes, dubs will look great on this Firebird.... WRONG.
OK your right, let me rephrase that. Chip does his repairs properly and does some pretty cool mods. Even if his style isn't for every one, you can learn from his quality of work and apply what you have learned to your project. Boyd seems to rush, rush, rush, and that is more import than quality or doing the job right. I can appreciate quality work even if I don't like the style.
Old 7/30/06, 01:14 AM

Ok lets get back to giving me tips on anything a beginner should know. Thanks
Old 7/30/06, 10:46 AM
Bullitt Member

In order of importance: 1.body, 2.engine (in a very close 2nd), and 3.interior. The interior is definitely the least to worry about; there's always reproduction parts available, and it's relatively simple to install seats, panels, carpet, dash, etc. But a good, solid body is very important. Remember to check for any rust inside and out, top and bottom; never buy a car without at least crawling underneath and checking for some rust and anything amiss.

But something I've learned through experience, be patient when restoring a car. Don't get too anxious and upset because you're not yet driving your car some 3 months, 6 months, even a year after you bought it. I've been gradually restoring my 67 mustang coupe for the past 2 years, and not until a few months ago was it even ready to be driven on the road.
Old 8/6/06, 10:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Ok lets get back to giving me tips on anything a beginner should know. Thanks
Not to discourage you, but you should know, it is going to cost you a lot of money, there will come a day when you wish that you had never bought the car, trust me on this, that day will come. Problems and unexpected surprises will happen, and they will cost you more money and slow progress like you can't imagine. I'd seriously consider a car that has been already done. I'd even consider a car outside of the first year Mustangs. They have become overpriced for what lies ahead for you, especially fastback's. As was suggested look at the coupes, if it is a Mustang that you must have. DON'T BE IN A HURRY TO BUY ONE, BRING SOMEONE WHO KNOWS THESE CARS AND WAIT, AND WAIT, AND WAIT FOR FINDING THE RIGHT CAR. You have been warned. I may receive criticism for saying all this, but you should know, and you did ask!
Old 8/6/06, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by incomingRPG
Not to discourage you, but you should know, it is going to cost you a lot of money, there will come a day when you wish that you had never bought the car, trust me on this, that day will come. Problems and unexpected surprises will happen, and they will cost you more money and slow progress like you can't imagine. I'd seriously consider a car that has been already done. I'd even consider a car outside of the first year Mustangs. They have become overpriced for what lies ahead for you, especially fastback's. As was suggested look at the coupes, if it is a Mustang that you must have. DON'T BE IN A HURRY TO BUY ONE, BRING SOMEONE WHO KNOWS THESE CARS AND WAIT, AND WAIT, AND WAIT FOR FINDING THE RIGHT CAR. You have been warned. I may receive criticism for saying all this, but you should know, and you did ask!
Trust me i know, my uncle used to restore GTOs but now he restores Porsches, he told me alot of the stuff i should prepare for, including expenses. So i know what im geting into. But thanks any way for warning me.
Old 8/6/06, 06:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Trust me i know, my uncle used to restore GTOs but now he restores Porsches, he told me alot of the stuff i should prepare for, including expenses. So i know what im geting into. But thanks any way for warning me.
That is great news, to have a relative who can advise you. So my best advice for you would be to NOT BUY ANY CAR until your Uncle sees it. Honestly, I wish you the best, and as much as I thought I knew what I was getting into, in retrospect, I had no idea. Fitting body panels on a first generation Mustang has been one. I am willing to bet that would challenge your Uncle in ways he hasn't seen.