1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

'68 289 rear end rebuild help

Search this Thread

Old 2/19/17, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '68 289 rear end rebuild help

Hey all,

I'm in the process of putting my parts list together for a few mechanical upgrades, and #1 on my list is to replace the rearend gears - the car has sounded like a UPS truck for a long time, and it's time to get things replaced. It's just a base model stock 289/3spd, so I'm not looking at making a drag car or anything, just wanna enjoy driving the thing.... most likely it has 2.80 in it, so I plan to simply replace or at most go up to 3.00. I'll save the trans & higher gears swap for when I strike it rich.

This is foreign territory for me, so any help at identifying parts needed, and what else should be done alongside this job would be appreciated. brands to look for/avoid? etc.

I've been trying to find other posts that discuss this but falling short. If you know of any, please share the link or your own thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks all.
Old 2/19/17, 02:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
I would recommend either 3.00 to 3.15 gear ratio with a 3 speed!
This will give you better acceleration and still be able to cruise well down the high way.
I have had and built many classic cars and that is my personal gear choice for a car that I just cruise or daily drive.
If you had a overdrive transmission I would recommend somthing close to a 3.50 ratio!
The following users liked this post:
phendyr (2/19/17)
Old 2/19/17, 02:54 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts
most likely you have the 8 inch rear end .. do a little junk yard hunting for a simple pumkin swap .. zillions of fords came with 8 inch rears in all kinds of gears ...