1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

'67 PS to MS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 1/14/07, 03:30 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'67 PS to MS Conversion

Hello all,

Does anybody have any experience with the PS to MS conversion kit? It replaces the control valve with an adapter that threads into the centerlink and connects to the pitman arm.

This eliminates the control valve and provides a mechanical linkage to the centerlink. The control vavle, slave cylinder, pump etc. is taken out.

From what I understand, the 1967 PS system is actually just a power assist anyway. We had a '66 Falcon with MS and it didn't take a Johnny Armstrong to steer it.

The existing control valve, slave cylinder etc. leaks and the valve was damaged in an accident. They require a complete replacement/rebuild. That could cost near $400. The MS adapter from CJ's Pony Parts is $150.

I'm leaning towards a MS conversion. It seems straight forward enough. I've done some research and have the correct pitman arm etc.

I'm also doing the Granada disc brake conversion, but that shouldn't matter.

P.S. I've seen all the arguments about that on the forums but that car came with two loaded Granada spindles so I figured I'd give it a try. If it doesn't work out I'll save for one of the new systems.

Thanks for the input!
Old 1/14/07, 09:00 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had time to do a forum search this evening. It looks like most people are happy they converted to manual steering, as long as it's on a small block car.

The power assist system leaks no matter what. I'll take the extra effort in the parking lot versus PS fluid all over the place.

Anybody use the adapter from CJ's or Mustangs Plus that replaces the control valve?